Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Opportunities for paid and, of course, unpaid crew positions

Paid is NOT gonna happen until you have a good bit of sea time and find a captain that would trust you to crew on deliveries

On the other hand anyplace with a big racing seen has pretty much unlimited other peoples boat rides

On Long Island you join Oak Cliff Sailing for really CHEEP and sail on a fleet of boats beyond believe as they run a multimillion dollar fleet because this really nice rich person wants to promote sailing and there is NOTHING i have every seen run at this level for anybody with the desire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2012

brh002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your input everybody. I'm from the chicago area and there is plenty of sailing and sailing facilities to be had between here and milwaukee but the season is just too short. It looks like the gulf coast, the Chesepeake, or the carolinas might be the most budget friendly for me. I visited Mobile and Gulf Shores, AL many years ago, before katrina and the oil spill and thought Mobile was a pretty cool town - of course i was just a kid then. Does anyone have an opinion of that area? San Francisco would be awesome but the money just might not be there. I have some friends who live in Shelter Cove, CA on the " lost coast" in northern cali, does anybody know what the sailing scene is like up in redwood country?
Old 01-13-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
I think I would make my first priority to be finding a job. Right now, housing is really cheap in Florida. Why? High umemployment.
Old 01-13-2012

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
I'm sorry, but *nothing* about San Francisco is budget or shoestring. California is high tax, high regulation, high cost and San Francisco is probably the most expensive city in the state.
I still vote for Southern California at least. Yes, we do pay more and things tend to be a little more expensive. But I have year round sailing and use my boat almost every weekend, 12 months a year. And the only time I pull my boat out of the water is when I have to get the bottom painted.
Old 01-13-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
I will get flamed for this but Portland, Maine is a great sailing town. Paid crew positions for day schooners, racing every weekend, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights in the summer. Plenty of paid boat work in the winter if you are skilled and can market yourself. We sail here 7 months of the year. A friend goes out every Sunday year round.

Cheap housing. You can find places under $1,000 inclusive right in town and a great social scene. Go 30 minutes from Portland and find places cheaper or in the country if you prefer.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 01-13-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
I will get flamed for this but Portland, Maine is a great sailing town. Paid crew positions for day schooners, racing every weekend, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights in the summer. Plenty of paid boat work in the winter if you are skilled and can market yourself.

Cheap housing. You can find places under $1,000 inclusive right in town and a great social scene. Go 30 minutes from Portland and find places cheaper or in the country if you prefer.
I would agree with you but is not the sailing season short? Worked in Maine back in the 80's and the other negative is the cold long winters.
Old 01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by windward54 View Post
I still vote for Southern California at least. Yes, we do pay more and things tend to be a little more expensive. But I have year round sailing and use my boat almost every weekend, 12 months a year. And the only time I pull my boat out of the water is when I have to get the bottom painted.
You forgot to mention those So Cal women- nice to look at but expensive, and high maintenace.
Old 01-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
I think I would make my first priority to be finding a job. Right now, housing is really cheap in Florida. Why? High umemployment.
That is why the Annapolis (Baltimore/Washington) area might be a good bet, job market there is probably best in nation.
Old 01-13-2012

People always bring up the cost of living in an area. But seems to me it comes down to the cost of your housing. No matter where you go your food, gas, utilities, clothes, car, boat parts will be the same.

Primarily housing is where the cost may vary. But if you are young and can shack up with some roomates- say rent a house with four people (what I did when I lived in Annapolis- walking distance to downtown) housing can be reasonable just about any where.

So pick a place you want to live and move there- think about it, people do live in the most desirable and expensive places in the world- if they can do it, and you want to, no reason you cannot make it happen.
Good luck

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.