Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickers11 View Post
Hello again,

I don't like redundant threads as much as the next guy, but in need of pretty specific information.

My dad and I are looking at going half-in on a small trailerable sailboat. I live in Vancouver, Canada, he is in inland WA state. We thought of getting something we could keep at a marina, say in Everett, during the sailing season.

Neither of us has much boating experience, so a forgiving boat would be preferred. Key is that it have a larger cockpit than an equal sized cruiser. Probably will be used for day outings and perhaps tow to other parts of the region....hence the swing keel. A small cuddy with room for two would be nice, definitely room for a portable head.

I'm thinking Tanzer, Catalina or early MacGregors would fit the bill, but are these not more cruisers? Suggestions welcome. My dad is eager to spend money, but I'd rather step back and do some research.

Thanks,
Matt

Take a look at the San Juan 23. Exactly what your looking for. had many trips to the San Juans, Gulf Islands and Puget Sound in this little gem....Heck, I even lived aboard for 6 months, before I got the big boat...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickers11 View Post
Back to boats. What about the Precision 18? A bit smaller than a 20-22' but might be easier to tow. Seems to have decent ballast, looks bit inside and large cockpit. Anyone have any experience with this boat?
Precision makes a quality boat. The 18 has a large following in the trailer sailor world. Precision puts a little more emphasis on speed and performance than cruising amenities. I don't think you could go wrong if 18' is enough boat for you. They also make some larger boats and both the 21 and the 23 are quality boats.
Old 01-16-2012

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Try to locate a used Ranger 20, built in Kent,WA. It was called the "UNsinkable Molly Brown" until the movie copyright people got after them. Stub keel with CB, cuddy cabin with vee berth and room for a portapotty. Most have a dodger with aft canvas to enclose the cabin. I owned two of them, before and after a Catalina 25. It has a bridge deck with the traveler. A superb rig for single handing. My wife and I spent two weeks aboard in Desolation Sound, trailering from the Columbiia River.
Old 01-16-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
I would recommend the Catalina Capri 22; it is basically a C-18 with 4 feet of cockpit added. Down below is a port-o-potti and 2 quarter berths, the rest is all cockpit.

I'm not sure about the keel configs available; I'm pretty sure I've seen Wing (2' 6") and Fin (3' 6"). The C-22 has a swing keel (2' 0" & 5' 0") so maybe that is available as well.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2012
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
Chrysler 20, 22

We used to have a Chrysler 20. It was a well made boat that sailed well and had a swing keel. We always admired the neighbor's chrysler 22 as well. These can usually be found very cheaply.

A Catalina 22 has a bigger cabin though and there are generally more to chose from in just about any market.

In Florida Compacs are very popular. The compac 19 and 23 are very good boats and generally thought of as more seaworthy than catalinas and have full keels but a shallow draft. They are usually more expensive.

If you've got the dough. Check out the compac 23 pilot house. They are new this year. I checked it out at the St. Pete boat show and I have to say it was very sweet.
Old 01-17-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Catalina 22

Capri 18

Catalina 22

C250

Catalina 22

Just a few to look at. I was out at the lake yesterday to do some work on my boat. Took a look at that Oday...seems nice and clean, well equipped. It's got a roller furler, fractional.
marcberoz likes this.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 01-17-2012

stickers11 is on a distinguished road
Thanks JoeDiver for the links and for checking out that boat! Thanks everyone else for your suggestions and pointers. Everyone seems a forgiving and helpful bunch. Been to other forums where after they find out you're a "newby", kindly suggest you go play somewhere else
Old 01-17-2012

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Aquarius 23's are great boats and solidly built . Easy to sail, huge cockpit and big v-berth. I see them for sail up in your area every now and then. Very trailerable. I pull mine with a Dodge Dakota.
Old 01-17-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I used to have a Catalina 22, and now own an Oday 23. An Oday 22 was docked across from me for several years and I know the boat fairly well.

I like the Oday stub keel/centerboard set up better than the Catalina 22 swing keel. The Oday board is controlled by a single line lead into the cockpit. No cranks, no ratchets. The ballast is safely and permanently encapsulated in the stub keel. The Catalina doesn't really have a centerboard; its really a swing keel. All of the boat's ballast is held to the boat by one pin. That keel is controlled by a crank/steel cable set up. Now, Catalina has made thousands of these things and have worked out most of the bugs, but it is still another piece of equipment subject to the harsh marine environment that needs maintenance and can fail. Don't get me wrong: the Catalina is a great boat. There are thousands of them with active owners' associations, and Catalina itself is still in business to support your boat. You won't go wrong with a C-22.

However, as I said, I like the Oday better. One other thing: the head in a Catalina is (at best) behind a curtain under the cusions of the v-berth. On the Oday, its behind a door in its own "compartment". Never underestimate the value of this feature when the ladies are aboard, even if its only for a daysail.
Old 01-17-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
If money's no object you may want to consider a Cornish Shrimper. Interesting boat
Cal-29

Tags
cuddy , trailer