Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012

75R20 is on a distinguished road
I'll second the Kent Ranger 20 as a great boat, I currently own 1 and have owned another. They are local for you (100 miles) and close for dad. They sail very well, weigh 1550 lbs. and trailer great. 1 healthy person can set the mast in place and be sailing from trailer in 30/45 minutes. Active forums both here in Seattle, and in Portland, with at least one active Sailmaker, and several of the original vendors still at the same addresses that they were when the boat was built. Approx 700 boats were built with some even being built in Salt Lake City.
Mine is in the water, If you or dad want to see it, let me know....They come up for sail on the Forums/Craigslist but you have to be fast, as they sell quickly. After the snow stops/melts I'm willing to go for a sail if you are interested. I'm on Lake Washington, near downtown.
Let me know
Kary
S/V Mariah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2012

g0twind is on a distinguished road
I vote for a Paceship PY23, but I'm a little biased.....

Slightly larger than a C22, built strong and can be trailered. (However, I wouldn't want to trailer all the time)
Richard61 likes this.
Old 02-19-2012

stickers11 is on a distinguished road
Down for a visit in Goldendale, WA. Drove down to Portland today and had a look at a Ranger 20 at Cascade Locks. Here is the listing. Was the dodger a standard feature? The listing does not mention one. What about the price? No outboard...seems on the high side for what I have seen.

Sailboat,1975 Ranger 20
Old 02-19-2012

75R20 is on a distinguished road
The price in not bad BUT........condition is everything. The dodger was an option and a replacement is ~ $550.00 (just got a new one from the original vendor 2 years ago) that boat has what we call the travel/storage cover on it. Sails = it needs a genoa, and they are hard to find and ~600.00 new. I have lots of INFO on the boat, feel free to contact me if you need more/have questions....I'm 1 of the more active R20 owners around, and have done many up-grades/changes to my R20.
Kary
S/V Mariah
Old 10-16-2013

Re: 20' to 22' swing keel with small cuddy

Thought I would provide an update. My folks moving back up to BC and my dad still wants to get a boat, he's getting older and does not want to put it off indefinitely. I've been rereading all the great suggestions and starting to lean towards a San Juan 21 or a Kent Ranger. The bonus is once he's up here we can store the boat on dry land over winter. I guess my only issue with the San Juans is that the fleet is getting older. Not sure if that should be a worry on a fiberglass boat. Many are in the 40 year-old area. Should I let this bother me?
Old 10-16-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

I think condition is more important than age with anything that you'd be interested in. I wouldn't get hung up on a specific model...none of these is going to be your boat to live on or to take you around the world. I'd just see what's for sale in your area, go look at them, and buy one that looks good. Find someone to go look at it with you if you don't know what you're looking at. Get sailing. It's been almost 2 years since your original post...you could have been pondering your perfect San Juan purchase from the cockpit of your Catalina 22!

It's not about Ms. Right in this price range. It's Ms. Right Now.
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 10-16-2013

You are absolutely right. Circumstances and finances have not been right up until now...but I am going to make this happen. Things are falling into place!
Old 10-16-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

A Catalina 22 will do the job AND be relatively easy to sell on after a year or two.

I am biased because I had the UK version and it looked after me well on the West Coast of Scotland and the Adriatic.

Cracking little boat, sure some others are fast but it gets there.
Minnesail likes this.
Old 10-17-2013
High Desert Guy

Ziaduck is on a distinguished road

What are your plans now? Will you always trailer-sail the boat, or will you keep it in a slip for part of the year? Will you take the boat to other waters? A trailer-sailor is different from a trailerable boat, and your intended use can make one a good choice and the other bad.
Old 10-17-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

I will put my 2 cents in on this (which may only be actually worth 1 cent). I am partial to Macgregor if you get the right one. The the older swing keel options are great boats. I sailed my MacGregor 222 (pop top for extra room at dock/mooring) THe boat sails like a much bigger boat and would routinely have it out on Lake Michigan in 4-6 footers and she handled it like a champ. The cockpit is roomy enough on the 22 footer for 4 adults to sit comfortably. The boat is well balanced. If you could find a MacGregor 25 w/ swing keel that could be a great boat for you.

That being said here are some other quality boats that could fit the bill.

Cal 21
Chrysler 20 0r 22 (22 is feels like a much bigger boat)
Catalina 22
San Jaun

I second what Jeff said. Find a decent boat in decent condition and go for it. Each of these boats has pro's and con's and you will learn to deal with them. Just make sure your keel lifting cable is good and the hull and deck is in good shape. I would say make sure the main sail is in good shape and the jibs can be had for pretty cheep (I had 5 jibs that cost me less than $500 collectively) Everything else on those boats is relatively inexpensive.

Just stay away from Bay-liner Buccaneers (really poor design) and MacGregor M's (Power boat and sailboat combo that doesn't do either very well at all.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.

Tags
cuddy , trailer

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.