SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   20' to 22' swing keel with small cuddy (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/82672-20-22-swing-keel-small-cuddy.html)

stickers11 01-13-2012 12:35 PM

20' to 22' swing keel with small cuddy

Hello again,

I don't like redundant threads as much as the next guy, but in need of pretty specific information.

My dad and I are looking at going half-in on a small trailerable sailboat. I live in Vancouver, Canada, he is in inland WA state. We thought of getting something we could keep at a marina, say in Everett, during the sailing season.

Neither of us has much boating experience, so a forgiving boat would be preferred. Key is that it have a larger cockpit than an equal sized cruiser. Probably will be used for day outings and perhaps tow to other parts of the region....hence the swing keel. A small cuddy with room for two would be nice, definitely room for a portable head.

I'm thinking Tanzer, Catalina or early MacGregors would fit the bill, but are these not more cruisers? Suggestions welcome. My dad is eager to spend money, but I'd rather step back and do some research.

Thanks,
Matt

Barquito 01-13-2012 01:07 PM

I would second your initial choices. Also consider a fixed shoal keel. With a long enough ramp you can trailer launch boats on trailers this size. I have seen people trailer launch boats up to 5' draft, but, you would need a particularly long/steep ramp.

JoeDiver 01-13-2012 02:07 PM

Look hard at the Catalina 22....has everything you're looking for....priced very well....cult like following....lots of racing and raftups.....can't go wrong with it.

stickers11 01-13-2012 03:30 PM

What about a Catalina 18 for a first boat? Might be a bit small for 4 adults on a daysail? I like the specs and the looks of her...but might need to go a bit bigger.

garyguss 01-13-2012 04:01 PM

San Juan 21 ... cheap to buy, will run rings around a Catalina, larger cockpit than a Catalina... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...SanJuan21s.jpg

San Juan 21 Class Association

Faster 01-13-2012 11:00 PM

Here's a YW search for 20-24 foot daysailers in the PNW and CA... some interesting ideas here.. some of these come with trailers.

Most will have more accommodation than you're looking for and many will have fixed keels or excessive draft for trailering, but this will give you an idea of what's on the market.

Something like an SJ 21 or C22 will probably provide most of what you're after and give you the option of overnighting on occasion.

If you're budget allows the Harbor 20s on this list look like fun, but I don't think they are available with a swing keel. From their class site, though, it seems many live on trailers...

In fact a search with 'swing keel' as a key word for the same area turned up zero results.

(Sail) Daysailer Boats For Sale

stickers11 01-13-2012 11:58 PM

Thanks Faster, I'll check out the search results. Looks like you're in neck of the woods. I'm actually New West as well...too bad we don't have a marina :)

Faster 01-14-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickers11 (Post 816543)
Thanks Faster, I'll check out the search results. Looks like you're in neck of the woods. I'm actually New West as well...too bad we don't have a marina :)

Too funny... when I read your OP I thought to myself 'I didn't know there was a Vancouver in California!"
Have you looked at the local Craigslist site for something?

stickers11 01-14-2012 02:01 AM

Often do, but seeing as my dad is state-side, and both he and the boat will reside there for the near future, I'm concentrating my search in the US.
I should fill out my profile so I don't look like such a stranger...

sealover 01-14-2012 07:48 AM

I really like the Rhodes 22 (built by General Boats) -- that's what I'd have if I wanted to keep it in a marina. Large comfortable cockpit, plus lots of neat things that make setting off easier for a short handed crew. (in-mast furling, for one) You can add the new gizmos to the older ones. But they don't seem to be as cheap, and they aren't real plentiful. Being built in NC I bet they're even harder to find on the West Coast. I love my Venture 17 (MacGregor) The 21 and 22 foot versions are a lot of boat for hardly any money. They tow easily too. You didn't say what sort of vehicle you're going to be towing with. The Venture 21 could be towed with a transverse engine V6 car/crossover. The Rhodes you'd probably want a pickup truck or SUV to tow it any distance.