Toe Rail..What's the Purpose...? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-14-2012 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Toe Rail..What's the Purpose...?

OK so it catchs your foot and keeps you from slipping out from under the life line/safety lines...

But I was looking at mine.. substantial aluminum extrusion "thru bolted" every 6" the legnth of the boat...overkill for a "toe catcher"

Gotta be some structural purpose beside hanging dock bumpers...?

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-14-2012

interesting,why do you ask?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-14-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

Prevents drink from sliding off boat...
post #4 of 12 Old 01-14-2012

Connects the deck to the hull on some boats, protects the joint betweeen the hull and deck on most boats. Sometimes you can mount blocks there for some applications
post #5 of 12 Old 01-14-2012

My toe rail was not on my hull-deck joint and, as a long piece of teak, was more of a brightwork chore than a functional structure. I removed it about ten years ago and epoxy filled the fastener holes. If I'm taking a trip to the bow with any significant heel, I'm walking on the high side (windward) anyway and not relying on the toe rail. I do keep a taught small dacron line strung along my stanchion bases to catch any rare loose deck item. I did keep a section that supports my genoa track, but none of the rest. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
post #6 of 12 Old 01-14-2012

You can mount a twigger block on toe rail for trimming spinnaker or genny. For mounting preventer gears. Securing net to prevent kids and spin/sail from falling over board. Wish I have toe rail on my boat.

Ken
2002 Hunter 326, SV Millennium 2
1999 Macgregor 26X, SV Millennium
post #7 of 12 Old 01-14-2012

Seeing as it is a straight extrusion that both curves and twists to follow the sheer, bolts every 6" are necessary to keep it from springing off the deck. Most formed wooden toerails don't have as many fasteners.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-14-2012

I think it can also been seen as the vestigial form of the original bulwarks of earlier ships. Bulwarks allowed for safe working on the deck.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-14-2012
Just another Moderator

An aluminum toerail's prime purpose is to stain your hull in the rainy season so that you don't ignore the poor old girl and actually have to wash her now and then.

Seriously, we've had both, and none, on the various boats we've owed over the years. A wood one is beautiful accent until it isn't... perforated aluminum is very convenient for clipping halyards and blocks to, tying fenders (as mentioned), having none forces you to be vigilant outside the cockpit, esp if there are no lifelines either. I occasionally walk forward up the lee side deck (for example to adjust a leech line on the jib) and do rely on the toerail then.

OTOH in the event of a deck-edge-damaging collision (say a port/starboard incident racing) that mangled toe rail is probably the toughest thing to straighten out...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 12 Old 01-14-2012
Remember you're a womble

And of course on boats that don't have a track for the jib, you can use the toerail as the fore/aft adjustment of your jib sheet positions.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.