Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
Impressions from the Providence Boat Show Jan 2012

We scored a couple of tickets to the boat show last week, courtesy of SafeSea (boat towing & marine salvage) .

There was a marine bargain basement on the first floor at the entrance to the show. I read it was offering donated leftover supplies from marinas as a fundraiser for Clean the Bay. Although I'm a huge fan of marine consignment shops, I didn't see anything I would be willing to pay for at the "bargain tables". The good news for RI's East Bay boaters is that a marine consignment shop will be opening soon in Bristol RI. I should have stopped to ask about the details, but I'll have to keep an eye out for more info.

As usual, the main focus of the show was powerboats, but there were a few sailboats on display. .

The European Smartboat 23 was the most interesting powerboat I saw at the show. There were no sales people in sight at the display. I won't pass judgement, but it was certainly an interesting and unconventional hull form. LWL = LOA

IMG_20120114_141035 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

The Harbor 20 - The Classic Modern Daysailer was unquestionably the prettiest sailboat on the show floor.

IMG_20120114_141541 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

Hunter had the two largest sailboats on display at the show, a 33 and a 41. They were very popular with the visitors. I didn't venture on board either. They appear to be heavily discounted off their list price to entice interest, but the so called "savings" are 2 to 3 times what I paid for my boat!

IMG_20120114_144105 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

I also stopped by the Defender booth, to get the date for their annual spring sale. (March 29-April 1) An annual not to miss event for any boater who is looking to save on spring outfitting upgrades. They were promoting an interesting looking inflatable RescueMax MOB recovery system from Revere. It looks like a compact inflatable alternative to the LifeSling). I didn't really look at it that closely at the show, but their promo price is about half the LifeSling price. When I started to look into it online today, I couldn't find any indication it is USCG approved, and it doesn't even appear on the Revere website. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with this unit.

The show seemed a little better attended than last year, but I glad I'm not trying to make a living selling new fiberglass powerboats. That's a tough way to make a living these days.

More details and a few more photos on my blog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Since this was last week, I'm assuming you meant 2012 (fixed it for you, btw)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-15-2012

Yes, 2012. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post

I also stopped by the Defender booth... They were promoting an interesting looking inflatable RescueMax MOB recovery system from Revere. It looks like a compact inflatable alternative to the LifeSling). I didn't really look at it that closely at the show, but their promo price is about half the LifeSling price. When I started to look into it online today, I couldn't find any indication it is USCG approved, and it doesn't even appear on the Revere website. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with this unit.
I heard back from Defender earlier in the week about the Revere RescueMax MOB recovery system, and am just getting around to updating on it.

They said it does NOT carry any USCG approval as a PFD or throwable device. This significantly dampens my interest, but I would still like to hear from anyone who has experience with it or knows more about it. I'll try a separate thread in the Gear forum.

Old 02-08-2012
Panhandle Sailor

dreuge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
I heard back from Defender earlier in the week about the Revere RescueMax MOB recovery system, and am just getting around to updating on it.

They said it does NOT carry any USCG approval as a PFD or throwable device. This significantly dampens my interest, but I would still like to hear from anyone who has experience with it or knows more about it. I'll try a separate thread in the Gear forum.
Hi,
I just received my RescueMax from Defender, and I am very pleased. It looks very well made and designed. I'm not worried about the USCG approval (maybe it's just too new) since I always have a seat cushion which meets the minimum requirement. It is well worth the current $40 price see link.

"http://www.defender.com/activecaptain.jsp"
Old 02-08-2012
Panhandle Sailor

dreuge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreuge View Post
Hi,
I just received my RescueMax from Defender, and I am very pleased. It looks very well made and designed. I'm not worried about the USCG approval (maybe it's just too new) since I always have a seat cushion which meets the minimum requirement. It is well worth the current $40 price see link.

"http://www.defender.com/activecaptain.jsp"
Opps, I see that the $40 price is no longer offered, but defender has it for $59 now. It is still worth it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.