Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Look for a Tidal Grid first, there are a few around. Or at least a solid bottom with some good dolphins to tie up to. My old man use to use tidal grids in the 80's (around Vancouver) for his fish boat which was 40ft and had a deep chine. he said you just tie up in the grid, pop in a few 2x4's between you and the dolphins, and wait for the tide to go out.

I'd say the biggest issue with a sailboat is your keel, and the type of beach your standing it on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2012
Kuan Yin

dennisonberwick is on a distinguished road
Used beachlegs very successfully in Quebec

My Tahitiana 32 "Kuan Yin" has a full keel and she carries her own beachlegs - actually they are building support columns usually seen in basements holding up floor joists.

While sailing from Toronto to Newfoundland down the St. Lawrence I had to install a new Cutless bearing. Rather than pay for a haulout I opted to go into a bay with a 3 metre drying height on a night with a spring tide and 5 metres at high water. "Kuan Yin" draws 1.6 metres. By charting the bay at low tide and going in at high tide, I was able to reach a flat level spot. Next morning the mechanic walked out in his rubber boots and we did the work.

Full story on my weblog:

A Boat Out Of Water – standing high and dry to repair the Cutless bearing | Serendipities Of A Nomad's Life

Serendipities of a Writer's Life
Old 02-25-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Haven't done it personally but have read of others doing it. As usual the devil is in the details, you need legs that are solid enough to hold it. To make some accomodation for the bottom (spike into it, or add a mud plate, etc.) and if you are tying to a piling or seawall or dock, to be well-fended.

And of course, to secure things on the boat so that if you should go over, it won't flood you below. I think I'd plan the first time in "half draft" to see how well the legs held without placing the whole burden on them, then try a second time doing no work but just seeing they held up the load.

Bear in mind that if your stern tips down and you impact the rudder, that can do a lot of damage, so if there's any chance of them, make sure the stern is up, or there's a fifth leg behind.
Old 02-25-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
My boat, an Etap 26 has a retractable bulb keel. The owners manual has drawings showing how to mount the optional legs that they sold. I don't have them, but at least I know how they would need to be done. I was surprised at how far aft they appeared to be mounted.

Gary H. Lucas

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.