Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012

batshaven is on a distinguished road
has anyone tried to use beachlegs

hi all
been trying to find a cheap way to paint exterior of my 26' grampion and saw online others with sailboats have used beach legs at low tide to paint the hull..
Has anyone tried these in the vancouver,bc area.?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by batshaven; 01-17-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
The brits are into this. You may want to check Practical Boat Owner for articles on this. I know Practical Boat Owner's an oxymoron.
Cal-29
Old 01-17-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Annie and Peter hill talk about it in some detail in their book "Voyaging on a Small Income". They're a little on the extreme frugal side, but there is much to be learned from that book if you haven't already read it. Ideas such as beach legs for example....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by batshaven View Post
others with sailboats have used beach legs at low tide to paint the hull..
Has anyone tried these in the vancouver,bc area.?
Where were you thinking of going? Might be tricky with a fin-keeler; I think it's more popular with boats with twin keels.

Washington state has laws against scraping and sanding; don't know for sure about BC but I've heard it's more lenient.
Old 01-17-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
There are still a few tidal grids around.I used to make my own along side govt docks up the coast while cruising. A long keel makes it safe and easy.If you have to worry about falling on your rudder or bow roller it gets more complicated. Legs are not foolproof either. It could make a crane haul out look cheap as you do a King Canute act on the mud flat.If you go for it look on the can of paint for required drying time. Time and tide_ ___ ____ __!
Old 01-18-2012

thanks for the replies.
Adam, i am thinking out by Rocky pt where i am anchored.

Old 01-18-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I beached my 39' ketch in September. She has a full keel. I made my own legs of 12' 4x4" fir. I drove a big spike into the bottom, and cut holes to run lines through top and bottom. I made the lines off to the chainplates, adjustable. First I scouted the location at low tide. I wanted hard sand, a smooth slope, no rocks or debris on the bottom. I made some notes on the chart, and came back at about midtide. Approach slowly, using small bursts of power. When she touched, I rigged the poles over the side, took tension, added a lashing. The top of the leg should be several feet above the deck. A line attached at the lower end goes fore and aft to keep the leg in column. We have 6-7 feet of tide here, the water will fall away fast enough. I didn't put feet on the legs, I should have. The port one started digging in, she listed that way. I took anchors out to stbd, bent the halyards on, and winched up tension. That won't straighten her up, but it did keep her from tipping further. I then cleaned the hull and some other work. You also have to consider waves and wakes, try to find a protected spot, waves will bounce her on the bottom. Plan ahead, consider what will happen if she falls, will she refloat even on her side? Think through getting back off too. As WS started rising, I took in the halyard anchors. Then I put one out just ahead to hold her in place until I was ready to go. That anchor was just under the bowsprit, not dug in. When she floated I raised the anchor and backed away. I think I had unshipped the legs when she came upright. Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-18-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Be very careful. When we arrived in Bahia, Ecuador there was a gorgeous Tayana 37 moored next to us. The boat had been there for a long time and needed a bottom job very badly and there were no facilities for a haul there. The tide range was fairly large so the owner was going to tie to the sea wall and scrape and paint. We went off backpacking for a month in Peru and Ecuador and when we got back the Tayana was back on the mooring sans mast and with some damage to the topsides. In spite of putting RR ties under the keel, the boat had shifted and fallen away from the wall, breaking the lines holding it. The mast did not make contact with anything but snapped a few feet above the deck.

You don't want to even think about doing a mast replacement in a place like that - nice as it is to visit. The owner was planning to motor (500+ miles) to Panama City to get the work done. I hope that everything worked out well for him.
Old 01-18-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Yu got to come alongside wall or pilings with a LIST to make sure you stay topside up. Allow for a wind in the rigging, and run lines (halyards) to dock if possible.As you settle on the logs or ties you set on the ground the last low tide ,SECURE to dockside ;winches ,cleats, masts.Spread the strains out and hope they are not needed. Remember to release as the boat lifts. If it's a stone wall you are against ,lots of list, and do one side a tide.Start painting in horizontal strips and race the tide to the boot top to allow for drying time.Last time I did this in the Canaries I was waist deep racing.

Last edited by Capt Len; 01-18-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-19-2012

thanks again for the input.
Not sure when I am going to attempt it, but
want to try for sure when weather warms up.

Sure hope i dont run into any problems if I attempt
That would definetly not be a good thing to have problems
like that