SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   How to order charts? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/82835-how-order-charts.html)

synapse 01-18-2012 10:08 AM

How to order charts?

Hi - I am relatively new to sailing since last summer and figure it is about time to order a few charts. I have my boat currently in Oriental, NC (Pamlico sound).

Specifically, I have found NOAA charts 11552 and 11550 to be approximately the right area. I know I can order them on the internet, but they are HUGE! at 36inchesx44inches, that seems kinda large to take out on my boat (22 foot sailboat) and use as a reference.

Is there another option that I am missing? Not to mention, the NOAA charts are somewhat expensive (or maybe I'm just being cheap :)

Also - do you have a recommended online retailer to purchase them from?

Thank you for your time,
Synapse

kwaltersmi 01-18-2012 10:31 AM

Here's some options:

Try a chartbook from a source like MapTech: Maptech: Marine books and charts, topo maps, and navigation software

Try NOAA's BookletChart or PocketCharts (basically foldable versions of the originals)

Paper charts are always good to have onboard, but you might consider an investment into a digital format (chartplotter, iPad, netbook, etc.) if you plan to stay in the game longterm.

JoeDiver 01-18-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synapse (Post 818234)
..... but they are HUGE! at 36inchesx44inches, that seems kinda large to take out on my boat (22 foot sailboat) and use as a reference.......

So, fold them! They are paper ya know.

DRFerron 01-19-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synapse (Post 818234)
I know I can order them on the internet, but they are HUGE! at 36inchesx44inches, that seems kinda large to take out on my boat (22 foot sailboat) and use as a reference.

We kept a full set of charts on our 22 foot sailboat rolled up into chart tubes. Slide the tube under the cockpit and it didn't take up any room. When sailing, like JoeDiver said, just fold them. I replace our charts every few years from OceanGrafix and update them each week when the Local Notice to Mariners is posted.

Southron Spirit 01-19-2012 08:23 PM

you can down load the booklet charts for free , i put them in a binder in document protectors

jjablonowski 01-20-2012 09:31 AM

Xerox solution

I like to take my new, large flat charts to Staples and toss them on the color photocopier. The 8x10 prints are handy in a small cockpit, especially when glued back to back and laminated to make them waterproof.

BubbleheadMd 01-20-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDiver (Post 818256)
So, fold them! They are paper ya know.

Er, um. If I may make a suggestion, roll them. Folding them creates creases, creases which may hide navigational aids or hazards. The creases eventually become weak spots and holes in the chart.

You can buy a water-proof, plastic, cylindrical chart case pretty cheaply to store them. The one I have is even adjustable in length to accomodate different sizes of charts. The cylinder is easy to stow.

When making chart corrections, or annotations, use mechanical pencil only. When erasing, soft gum erasers only, so that you don't erase original print from the chart. If you navigate with charts a lot, use a mylar overlay taped over the chart. You can write and erase on that, all day long and not damage the chart.

Sorry, but this topic brings out the Quartermaster in me. The damn things are expensive enough, may as well make them last and get your nickel's worth.

BubbleheadMd 01-20-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 818916)
We kept a full set of charts on our 22 foot sailboat rolled up into chart tubes. Slide the tube under the cockpit and it didn't take up any room. When sailing, like JoeDiver said, just fold them. I replace our charts every few years from OceanGrafix and update them each week when the Local Notice to Mariners is posted.

Nerd. ;):D

mdnautical 01-20-2012 10:21 AM

Maryland Nautical Sales is one of the largest nautical chart agents in the United States. We have in stock a worldwide selection of Nautical Charts, Nautical Books, Electronic Charts & Navigation Software.

Instead of the huge paper charts that Oceangrafix offers you may want to look into a small folded waterproof chart that Maptech carries. The areas you are looking for would be covered by Chart No. 89 (2nd. Ed.) and Chart No. 90 (2nd. Ed.). You could purchase the OG Charts and keep them in a chart tube as the previous post suggested. Visit our store on the web at www.mdnautical.com. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at sales@mdnautical.com.

DRFerron 01-20-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 819104)
Nerd. ;):D

Bah.

So I won't share that this winter I made a spread sheet of all my charts with name and number, when they were printed and when the next order date should be. I started to do one for my lines but figured that would really put me firmly in the nerdette category.

:D