Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Sounds like you have an ax to grind with your obvious bias against the Rocnas.

I did my "homework" when the ROCNA originally came out I bought one. It wasnt about the hype. There was no Manson Spreme to buy. Magically 6 months later the Manson appears. Company making them/ designer were geographically close to ROCNA of new Zealand whwere my anchor was imported from. Looks kind of similar doesnt it, ROCNA came first...hmmmmmmmm. Poor argument on your part. It was a knockoff.

Go figure the knock off is cheaper. Knockoffs almost always are cheaper. Another specious statement

Not withstanding the idiot who ran the company into the ground with his boastfull arrogant nature, not withstanding the idiot who cheapened the steel, or who attacked othe anchor companies which have since occured...at the time the ROCNA was the only one and was the premier new design anchor.

I still remember Mainesails tests, and since I have purchased one I can unequivically say it has been the best all round anchor I have ever had. ( Bottom conditions dictate that some anchors are specifically better in specific conditions, but if I was to carry on main on it would be this design). I sleep well at anchor now.

Would I buy on now with its technical issues...no I would proably get the Supreme although I have never liked the hole in the shank.

Please do not try and come with revisionist history, as history is just that...a record... not a fantasy to prove a point.

Dave
IIRC, from reading Rocna's site, they approached Manson with an offer to have Manson manufacture Rocnas under License. The offer was rejected and shortly after the "Manson Supreme", that looked a whole lot like the Rocna, appeared on the market. Looks like a copy to me? Does anyone know of a case where a Rocna, of either vintage, broke during actual anchoring conditions? Has anyone had a damage claim rejected or received poor customer service from Rocna?

Paul T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I did my "homework" when the ROCNA originally came out I bought one. It wasnt about the hype. There was no Manson Spreme to buy. Magically 6 months later the Manson appears. Company making them/ designer were geographically close to ROCNA of new Zealand whwere my anchor was imported from. Looks kind of similar doesnt it, ROCNA came first...hmmmmmmmm. Poor argument on your part. It was a knockoff.
Not sure if it was on this board or another sailing board, but about 2 months ago a poster showed that the Manson design was in fact registered in NZ before the Rocna one, hence it could not have been a knock-off.

Quote:
Not withstanding the idiot who ran the company into the ground with his boastfull arrogant nature, not withstanding the idiot who cheapened the steel, or who attacked othe anchor companies which have since occured...at the time the ROCNA was the only one and was the premier new design anchor.
No one is saying that the Rocna design is substandard.

Their steel in the shank is, and even today, with the new owners, they will not build it to original specs.

Manson, BTW, is using 800+ MPA steel, which was also called for with Rocna. One wonders why Peter Smith, who originally claimed that only 800+ MPA steel would do the job, now says, hey, less is OK too?

Do you now see an issue with that?

The original non-Chinese Rocna's are great, and no one has an issue with them. Hopefully yours is one of those.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 02-27-2012

svdesire is on a distinguished road
hi all, this is my first time on this site. just wanted to say thanks for all the info. i've picked up in under an hour. very informative.
Old 02-27-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
IIRC, from reading Rocna's site, they approached Manson with an offer to have Manson manufacture Rocnas under License. The offer was rejected and shortly after the "Manson Supreme", that looked a whole lot like the Rocna, appeared on the market. Looks like a copy to me? Does anyone know of a case where a Rocna, of either vintage, broke during actual anchoring conditions? Has anyone had a damage claim rejected or received poor customer service from Rocna?

Paul T
As of a few months back West Marine had never had a Rocna of any size returned because of damage. They put that in an email that I still have.
Old 02-27-2012
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have no axe to grind or use otherwise and could care less about what anchor you decided to buy or why. And even IF the Manson is a knockoff (that I don't believe based on my research when I went to buy an anchor last year)........who cares!
Old 02-27-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
When it comes right down to it, why would anyone pay more for a Rocna? I considered it once but that was before Craig Smith's trash taking got on my nerves to the point I saved money and got a manson Surpreme instead. And this was before all the stuff about the metal came to light Don0101
Quote:
I have no axe to grind or use otherwise and could care less about what anchor you decided to buy or why Don0101
Trying to figure if you wrote this about your previous post post or you just dont think others have a right to their opinions and you should post in a vacum.

When you post on a site like this hopefully you will understand and respect others opinions and that yes others dare to post them. On this site none of us is the "captain" of the site. We all get opinions and quite frequently they are not the same, thats how some of us learn and interact. Try not to come in here as the authority on things and shuting down others opinions or you will become the preverbial tree falling in a forrest with no one there...meaning that if no one is there...no one hears your sound. The object here is to play in the sandbox with others...not try and own the sandbox

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-27-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
........who cares!
This kind of sums up my current viewpoint on this whole Rocna thing too.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-27-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Does anyone know of a case where a Rocna, of either vintage, broke during actual anchoring conditions? Has anyone had a damage claim rejected or received poor customer service from Rocna?

Paul T
Depends how you define "broken", I suppose...

Old 02-27-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not sure if it was on this board or another sailing board, but about 2 months ago a poster showed that the Manson design was in fact registered in NZ before the Rocna one, hence it could not have been a knock-off.
I believe that was the case, BUT the Rocna was designed prior, the company just didn't submit their trademark/registration in time/before Manson. I cant document this but I know someone will check in and provide the link.

Never in my life could I have imagined an anchor and its designer and company could create such controversy Its just so comical at this point I cant help but read all about it...oh the Internets

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 02-27-2012
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Trying to figure if you wrote this about your previous post post or you just dont think others have a right to their opinions and you should post in a vacum.

When you post on a site like this hopefully you will understand and respect others opinions and that yes others dare to post them. On this site none of us is the "captain" of the site. We all get opinions and quite frequently they are not the same, thats how some of us learn and interact. Try not to come in here as the authority on things and shuting down others opinions or you will become the preverbial tree falling in a forrest with no one there...meaning that if no one is there...no one hears your sound. The object here is to play in the sandbox with others...not try and own the sandbox

Dave
I have no real idea of your point. You quote me and basically say I'm wrong and you are right. And when I push back this is your response as to trying to shutdown others opinions, so ..................

My OPINION is that in the current market that the Rocna is an overpriced anchor who in the past has has been supported by marketing lies and shading the results of tests as they want, and just in general making statements that are untrue. This does not mean I believe the Ronca is a bad anchor and I even wonder if the whole steel mpa thing is a unless item to talk about in the real word of anchoring and if it had never come up no-one ever would be have questioned it.

It is also my OPINION that I could care less about what anchor someone else decides to get as long as it doesn't result in their dragging into me!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.