Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Just when we thought all the twists and turns of the characters involved with the Rocna debacle was done, here is a new article about Mr. Grant Norman King, a former Rocna principle.

Who would believe such a scrip_t if screenwriters tried to sell it to a producer?

New Zealand Herld article
Just to go back to the start of this thread: when you combine this with the other related statements on the Rocna "issue" that we can not really believe anything anything the the "old" cast may have said.
Old 02-27-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Depends how you define "broken", I suppose...

Have I told you about my shank supplement: "Vianchra HTFU"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Depends how you define "broken", I suppose...

I wonder if that has ever happened to any other manufacturer's anchor?

Paul T
Old 02-27-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Sounds like you have an ax to grind with your obvious bias against the Rocnas.

I did my "homework" when the ROCNA originally came out I bought one. It wasnt about the hype. There was no Manson Spreme to buy. Magically 6 months later the Manson appears. Company making them/ designer were geographically close to ROCNA of new Zealand whwere my anchor was imported from. Looks kind of similar doesnt it, ROCNA came first...hmmmmmmmm. Poor argument on your part. It was a knockoff.

Go figure the knock off is cheaper. Knockoffs almost always are cheaper. Another specious statement

Not withstanding the idiot who ran the company into the ground with his boastfull arrogant nature, not withstanding the idiot who cheapened the steel, or who attacked othe anchor companies which have since occured...at the time the ROCNA was the only one and was the premier new design anchor.

I still remember Mainesails tests, and since I have purchased one I can unequivically say it has been the best all round anchor I have ever had. ( Bottom conditions dictate that some anchors are specifically better in specific conditions, but if I was to carry on main on it would be this design). I sleep well at anchor now.

Would I buy on now with its technical issues...no I would proably get the Supreme although I have never liked the hole in the shank.

Please do not try and come with revisionist history, as history is just that...a record... not a fantasy to prove a point.

Dave
Actually there is plenty of data to support the Manson Supreme not being a knock off. I actually owned a Manson BEFORE I owned a Rocna and I still had one of the first Rocna's produced in Canada. When I bought my first Manson Supreme the only way to get a Rocna here was to pay a FEW HUNDRED in shipping costs from NZ, hence my reason for buying a Manson Supreme first....

The Rocna is also a knock off. We quickly seem to forget the Wasi/Bugel anchor that was the FIRST hoop anchor or the fact that Peter Smith himself admitted to "copying" or "knocking off" the Delta shank and Spades fluke shape.....

The only reason anyone believes the Manson Supreme is a knock off is because, like most anything Rocna did, they told some mis-truths..

And how could we forget the Smith's publicly bashing the "rock slot" on the Manson Supreme then COPYING the Manson Supreme's slot themselves..... Hello pot....

When you spend your efforts in hundreds of posts over 4-5 years disparaging the Manson Supreme and calling it a knock off, then saying things like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post

Anyway, Alain, really we can be friends. Like you so eloquently put it, we also think slotted shanks are a terrible concept. We have never made a Rocna with a slot, and suspect the owner of this anchor has. Or was it Mr Photoshop?

That comment was a bash on a guy who was at a boat show and took a photo of a rocna with a slot and CS called him a liar and accused him of using Photoshop...

Terrible idea to copy another product? Or is it just a terrible idea??? Hmmm I guess fisheman are unimportant to Rocna especially if the "rock slot" is such a bad idea......

Image Courtesy Rocna Anchors (LINK)

Hypocrisy & dishonesty at its best....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-27-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post

Paul T
Of course it has.

In fact, I just read on Manson website that bending is specifically excluded from their warranty.

Google something like "bent danforth" and you get dozens of hits.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-28-2012
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thanks MaineSail for setting the record staright...in my post above I was trying to find and recall a post regarding the timing of the registration of the Rocna vs. Manson? What was the actual story there?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 02-28-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post

Paul T
Of course it has, there's not an anchor in the world that is immune to such a failure...

However, your original question was whether or not a Rocna had ever suffered a real-world "breakage", correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

The Rocna is also a knock off. We quickly seem to forget the Wasi/Bugel anchor that was the FIRST hoop anchor or the fact that Peter Smith himself admitted to "copying" or "knocking off" the Delta shank and Spades fluke shape.....
What goes around, comes around, in the increasingly incestuous world of New Generation Anchors...

At the same time that Manson has produced a closer clone to the Spade, by eliminating the roll bar...

Spade has "copied" the Rocna/Manson Supreme with a roll bar anchor of their own...

Say, that Black powder-coated Manson Boss is pretty sexy, eh? Hmmm, so how long do you suppose THAT look will last, in the real world? (grin)
Old 02-28-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Rocna under the last two administrations has said Manson copied their design; the current administration has been silent on the issue.

Manson says they developed it independently.

Set the Manson Supreme aside and look at every other anchor in the Manson product line. They are ALL copies of another company's IP. So we are supposed to believe that Manson had a sudden surge of creativity that miraculously looks like what an independent designer came up with in the same time frame? I don't think so.

In so far as similarities between the Rocna and the Spade (concave blade), the Delta (shank), and the Wasi/Bugel (roll bar) there is a clear distinction in legislation and judicial precedent world wide between copies and derivations.

In my own head, Rocna failed in its second administration to deliver what was promised. Manson copied someone else's IP and promoted it as their own. Neither company has anything to be proud of here.
chef2sail likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 02-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Rocna failed in its second administration to deliver what was promised.
History will show that the real problem lies with an obstructionist congress unwilling to compromise.

Old 02-28-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
History will show that the real problem lies with an obstructionist congress unwilling to compromise.
You are close. But, as we all know, anything bad has to be Geauge Bush's fault.

Paul T