Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
A cast of characters - Rocna plot continues

Just when we thought all the twists and turns of the characters involved with the Rocna debacle was done, here is a new article about Mr. Grant Norman King, a former Rocna principle.

Who would believe such a scrip_t if screenwriters tried to sell it to a producer?

New Zealand Herld article

Last edited by cupper3; 01-18-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: correcting subject of article...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap. I've been following this all pretty closely over at YM - and going back and forth with Grant on the RINA bribery issue (which to me is a much bigger story than the Rocna thing).

Seems there's plenty of sleaze to go around in this whole debacle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-18-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Drifting slightly, but curious to know if anyone had a Rocna fail (break) under actual anchoring conditions?

Dabnis
Old 01-18-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Wow. Just ... wow.

(Disclaimer: we have a NZ Rocna, circa mid-2009, before the debacle. And its totally our best sleep-well-no-worries anchor)

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-19-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Drifting slightly, but curious to know if anyone had a Rocna fail (break) under actual anchoring conditions?

Dabnis
Being the owner of a 2009 33lb Rocna most likely manufactured in China, I was following the info being posted on a variety of sailing sites. My Rocna was purchased through West Marine. As it is hard to judge what is fact and what is fiction on the internet I contacted West Marine directly through email and asked whether they had any Rocna's they sold being returned because of damage or failure of any kind. Their answer was that did not have any Rocna's returned because of any structural failures. Their only returns were attributed to poor fits on customers bow rollers, a few tips that were losing their galvanizing material and some returned because of their cautionary announcement relating to the steel used in some of the China made Rocna's.

That is the only first hand knoweldge I have. For you, it's just more 2nd hand internet verbage/gerbage so you might want to confirm with West Marine yourself if you have any concerns. My guess is that they would not continue to sell them if they really believed there was a problem.
Old 01-19-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
My guess is that they would not continue to sell them if they really believed there was a problem.[/QUOTE]

Agree, but after all the uproar about the quality aspect I was just curious?

Dabnis
Old 01-19-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post

My guess is that they would not continue to sell them if they really believed there was a problem.
Psssttt...wanna buy a Pinto?

My guess is they'll sell anything people will buy. They sell all manner of cheaply made short lifespan hardware, for example. As far as disclosing why anchors were returned, in this litigious day and age I imagine there is no retailer on the planet who will divulge WHY items are returned if there is any possibility of liability.

Old 01-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
The "best" and most exhaustive thread I've found on this is over on YM:

Rocna Anchors acquired by Canada Metal Pacific - Yachting and Boating World Forums

And now the dude he burned in that article is posting - mad as hell.

If you have the next 2 years off, you might want to read it. It is entertaining and eye-opening to see how people get to a point where they want to believe something so badly in order to maintain an agenda, they disregard all common sense.

It seems that's where we are now in the whole Rocna thing. But what a freakin' soap opera!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-19-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Being the owner of a 2009 33lb Rocna most likely manufactured in China, I was following the info being posted on a variety of sailing sites. My Rocna was purchased through West Marine. As it is hard to judge what is fact and what is fiction on the internet I contacted West Marine directly through email and asked whether they had any Rocna's they sold being returned because of damage or failure of any kind. Their answer was that did not have any Rocna's returned because of any structural failures. Their only returns were attributed to poor fits on customers bow rollers, a few tips that were losing their galvanizing material and some returned because of their cautionary announcement relating to the steel used in some of the China made Rocna's.

That is the only first hand knoweldge I have. For you, it's just more 2nd hand internet verbage/gerbage so you might want to confirm with West Marine yourself if you have any concerns. My guess is that they would not continue to sell them if they really believed there was a problem.
Interestingly enough though, West Marine posted this recall on Rocna anchors, much to their credit, BTW.
Old 01-19-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Interestingly enough though, West Marine posted this recall on Rocna anchors, much to their credit, BTW.
It was not recall. It the "product specification notice" referred to in my original post. Big difference. WM has many recalls listed on their site.

I guess West Marine could have been lying to me but that does not make sense to me as it would greatly increase their liability from what have been nothing to whatever a boat and possibly lives would be worth.