SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sequitur Blog Update (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/82892-sequitur-blog-update.html)

Sequitur 01-19-2012 03:07 PM

Sequitur Blog Update

I have added a couple of new posts to our blog: South From Puerto Eden and because I again wrote too much for the Sailblogs site, the continuation at: South From Puerto Eden (Continued)

smackdaddy 01-19-2012 03:51 PM

Woohoo! I've been waiting for an update. Thanks Michael.

AdamLein 01-19-2012 07:44 PM

Just read the "continuation"... wow! What a workout. So much frustration, but I'm sure the excellent cooking helped you through it.

One thing I didn't quite understand is why you had to let go of the Rocna's tackle and come back for it later. Other than for the sheer joy of retrieving it, I mean.

Sequitur 01-22-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamLein (Post 818915)
One thing I didn't quite understand is why you had to let go of the Rocna's tackle and come back for it later. Other than for the sheer joy of retrieving it, I mean.

The severe risk that Lil d'Elle put herself into in leaving her safe anchorage and coming out in winds in the mid-20s with fickle gusts in the 40s, and then approaching us on a lee shore in badly-charted shoal water, passing a tow line and taking us in tow, meant we weren't going prevail on them to wait around while we indulged in the luxury of raising by hand 22 metres of chain and a 40 kilogram Rocna. The prudent thing was to jettison the anchor and chain.

Craig Smith 01-22-2012 10:10 PM

Bit of an anchoring epic there Michael.

Peter and I anchored alone in Olla a few years ago. I rowed ashore with the shorelines, and still remember looking back out to the center of the bay where Peter was trying to position the boat. She was heeling 30 degrees with bare poles and being blasted downwind to the same area you ended up on, despite engine in full reverse with self-pitching prop. I could paddle the dinghy with one oar near the trees, but out in the bay right under the katabatics falling down the cliff sides you're just at the mercy of the winds.

Kiwi Roa should turn up in Ushuaia or Puerto Williams in the next little while, do say hello if you see her.

Minnewaska 01-22-2012 11:37 PM

Great posts. Where to once over to the Atlantic? Up the East coast or across the pond?

Sequitur 01-23-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 820022)
Great posts. Where to once over to the Atlantic? Up the East coast or across the pond?

I think we're going to indulge in the luxury of a long ocean passage to Cape Town; we've been a bit too close to land for too long a time.

smackdaddy 01-23-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sequitur (Post 820110)
I think we're going to indulge in the luxury of a long ocean passage to Cape Town; we've been a bit too close to land for too long a time.

I've been very impressed with your seamanship and journalistic abilities - and especially the ways in which you and Edi are making the trip comfortable and enjoyable. It seems like you've really accomplished the perfect balance.

One thing I'd like to know more about is how you guys plan and store so much variety in your food and wines. Did you establish a menu before hand? How do you pack it all? How does it keep? Etc.

Your taste is obviously impeccable. But your ability to maintain a menu of such high standards is amazing.

Sequitur 01-23-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 820114)
I've been very impressed with your seamanship and journalistic abilities - and especially the ways in which you and Edi are making the trip comfortable and enjoyable. It seems like you've really accomplished the perfect balance.

Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:

One thing I'd like to know more about is how you guys plan and store so much variety in your food and wines. Did you establish a menu before hand? How do you pack it all? How does it keep? Etc.

We love fine food and wine. We scour the local markets and supermarkets to see what is available, we buy and sample and then buy quantities of what we like. We find that by stocking and maintaining a broad variety of ingredients aboard, we can create interesting meals around nearly anything that we happen upon. With two freezers and two fridges, a large root cellar and huge pantry, we can easily stock for two or more months.

Quote:

Your taste is obviously impeccable. But your ability to maintain a menu of such high standards is amazing.

My years as a wine importer, wine writer, wine educator, culinary school wine and food instructor, restaurant reviewer, wine judge, etc., give me some basic background in food, and my passion for cooking adds to this.

deow 01-23-2012 03:22 PM

Very enjoyable blog. Thanks very much for sharing :)