Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Not a war, just a sextant question.

Seriously, I'm just curious:

On E-bay I can buy a Davis plastic sextant for anywhere from 40 to 120 dollars depending more on model than condition.

Would I really be that much farther ahead to do that than to buy a metal replica that I could "tweak" for around 60 to 80?

At this point, a small consistent error is something I could live with as I'm not planning to dock my boat with it. To help with my point, I'm currently using a non WAAS enabled gps. The way I see it is that as long as I'm using the correct datum, my gps is still more accurate than a pencil dot on a 1:50,000 topo map, and I'm good with that. While unaware that I was using the wrong datum in one circumstance I still managed to extrapolate my actual position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think that it can be fun to use a sextant but for positioning it is really very inaccurate. If you get within a mile have done well - and I know I will get rained on by all of the 'what if all the GPS satellite fall out of the sky crowd?' If you just want to know where you are, get a backup GPS. I have a Garmin 12 that works just fine after many years. I turn it on about once a month while cruising - sometimes I have to tell it which part of which ocean we are in to help it get started.
PaulfromNWOnt likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 01-19-2012

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Sextants are great for finding your position, Especially when you are far out on the Ocean. When you come in sight of land you transition to coastal piloting.

The nasayers of "archatic" methods of Navigation really don't care or want to invest the time in learning those skills. Now I do enjoy the gps. But in my case I have a C-Plath sextant that I'm comfortable in using. Was using sextants before GPS came into being and never had any confusion as to were I was at on this big blue marble.

Recommend you acquire the best sextant you can afford and learn to use it. But it takes practice, lots of practice in building your skills. Remember that sextants were used for a few centuries before GPS came about.

And there have been many cases where mariners have run aground because they depended on the GPS far to many time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture

Last edited by Boasun; 01-19-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Sextants are great for finding your position, Especially when you are far out on the Ocean. When you come in sight of land you transition to coastal piloting.

The nasayers of "archatic" methods of Navigation really don't care or want to invest the time in learning those skills. Now I do enjoy the gps. But in my case I have a C-Plath sextant that I'm comfortable in using. Was using sextants before GPS came into being and never had any confusion as to were I was at on this big blue marble.

Recommend you acquire the best sextant you can afford and learn to use it. But it takes practice, lots of practice in building your skills. Remember that sextants were used for a few centuries before GPS came about.

And there have been many cases where mariners have run aground because they depended on the GPS far to many time.
I can't seem to get it (celestial nav) from fancy book lernin.. can you explain in simple human terms how you do the calculations after shooting the sight (the one thing I can do)?
Old 01-19-2012

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
There are formats that are easy to use. I have Weems & Plath (H.O. 229 Sight solver) that can ease your way into understanding the math involved. And there are a couple of books that simplify Celestrial navigation.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 01-19-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I've only tried two sextants during the past decade, including the Davis plastic sextant sold by West Marine. The best accuracy I experienced was approximately +/- 6 miles, which would be fine in the middle of the ocean. So, if both of my GPS systems failed, and I was well offshore when the failures occurred, then the GPS would be a handy gadget to have onboard. However, I've used Loran-A, Loran-C and GPS, all since their inception, and never experienced a failure. Either I'm darned lucky, or electronic navigation systems are very reliable.

I guess from my perspective, having a good, electronic backup system is a far better investment, especially if you're not going to spend endless days and weeks offshore. However, if you are going offshore, maybe crossing the oceans, then as stated above, purchase the best sextant you can afford--it may end up being your only backup, navigational system.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary
Old 01-19-2012
Taco Whisperer

::sigh::

Still nothing. What is it with the secret society of celestial..

Thanks anyway... I'll look at what you recommended.
Old 01-19-2012

Chris,

If you wish, I can email you a great book on learning how to use a sextant. It's a down to earth book that puts things in plain, easy to understand language. Just email me and I'll send it via return email.

Cheers,

Gary
rgscpat likes this.
Old 01-19-2012
Taco Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Chris,

If you wish, I can email you a great book on learning how to use a sextant. It's a down to earth book that puts things in plain, easy to understand language. Just email me and I'll send it via return email.

Cheers,

Gary
I will (and thank you), however I must warn you I have already bought a few books that billed themselves as easy to understand, and I couldn't understand them.. I am terrible at math, math theory, and anything to do with math...

I'll shoot you an email and give it a shot though...
Old 01-19-2012

It's on its way.

Good Luck,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.