Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Last Night at the Harvard Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
One of the "issues" with this CT 56 is that the current owner had the teak deck sealed using Cetol. Well, as that is so infamous for doing, it has turned orange.

So, I am wondering how to strip the Cetol off without being too violent, i.e., sanding.
Will "Strip Eze" do it?
Amazingly, the deck is not leaking, so I surely don't want to change that condition. :-)

Any ideas on this?
Scrape it and then sand it. Is any of the caulk standing proud? Of so, you will want to trim that down first, which is a serious PITA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Scrape it and then sand it. Is any of the caulk standing proud? Of so, you will want to trim that down first, which is a serious PITA.
Thank you.
Old 03-20-2012

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road

Doug - Beautiful boat. Can you give us an idea as to how much leverage you had in negotiating? Would you say it is still a buyers market? you had mentioned earlier that you were looking to spend 200k. Was the seller willing to come down off of his price?
Old 03-20-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And, I created an album here, with a few pictures.

Thank you!
As my 15 year old daughter would say: "OMG times 3!"

Now that's what a sailboat is supposed to look like. Doug, best of luck to you and Evelyn. And please let us know if you plan on giving any of those talks in the CT area.
Old 03-20-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan08 View Post
Doug - Beautiful boat. Can you give us an idea as to how much leverage you had in negotiating? Would you say it is still a buyers market? you had mentioned earlier that you were looking to spend 200k. Was the seller willing to come down off of his price?
Well, he came down from $295K asking, to $240K sold. Yes, it is a buyers market.

We "shopped" from Long Beach / San Diego to NY, with New Orleans, Texas, and the VIs in between. The other boats we looked at were more willing to negotiate; but this boat doesn't have a "list" anywhere near as extensive as the majority of the others did, so there was a lot less to point to as price diminishers.

All we were left with was the "buyers' market" to leverage. :-)

We decided to pay the extra $40K to save at least a year worth of work.
Plus, this boat is really gorgeous. :-)

Last edited by DougSabbag; 03-22-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
As my 15 year old daughter would say: "OMG times 3!"

Now that's what a sailboat is supposed to look like. Doug, best of luck to you and Evelyn. And please let us know if you plan on giving any of those talks in the CT area.
THANK YOU!!! X 3 :-)

This boat IS really gorgeous inside and out. I can't wait to unfurl her sails!

I sure will publish any speaking dates which come up.
Old 03-28-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
One of the "issues" with this CT 56 is that the current owner had the teak deck sealed using Cetol. Well, as that is so infamous for doing, it has turned orange.
Damn, anyone who attempts to "seal" a teak deck using Cetol should just be shot... Perhaps, in exchange for allowing him to live, you can do a bit more bargaining? (grin)

Sorry, no experience with attempting to remove that stuff, but I'd guess you'd have to get pretty aggressive with it... You might have a look at Rebecca Wittmann's book BRIGHTWORK, it's the definitive work on teak treatments, she might have some useful ideas...

If you need to do any yard work before you leave St. Augustine, I've had very good experiences with both Oasis Boat Yard, and the yard over at Camachee Cove... Oasis is very friendly to DIY-ers, and they're renowned for their work with Awlgrip... Pretty sure Camachee permits DIY as well, but their staff is first rate, and their diesel mechanic is one of the best I've ever come across...You might be pushing the limits of their Travelift, however, with your ketch rig... My experiences with both yards are dated by 6-8 years, however, so there's always the possiblilty things might have changed, of course...
Old 04-01-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

I have had good luck with a cabinet scraper blade. Or a smoothing plane blade ground almost square. Create a burr with a mill file. You get about three strokes scraping and three with a file to replace the burr. Very, fast, safe and old school.
Old 08-02-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Well folks, we're in the middle of the delivery from Fort Lauderdale to Boston of our CT 56 / Triumph.

Initially John (a "hired friend"), and I had to spend 5 days, from Friday 7/20 through Tuesday addressing various issues in preparation for the cruise North. We had to address hydraulic steering hose replacements, engine starting issues, and batteries and their associated wiring, and charging systems. This effectively ate up the extra time I had allocated for the cruise north from work. The largest time "lost" was because of the elusive true engine starting issue of the ignition key mechanism being the real culprit; not the battery, wires, terminals, etc. Probably 2 days were eaten up until we discovered the ignition key mechanism was faulty.

We cast off on Wednesday, 7/25, and made it as far as Beaufort, N.C., where we put in at a Marina on Friday the 27th, in order to address leakage from the stuffing box.

While there, John and I had discussions of the remaining course to follow wherein his priority of his personal comfort was determined to be in conflict with my time constraints. It sort of all came down to his demand to hug the coastline and then sail inside Long Island NY., and my calculation to make a straight line from where we were to Buzzards' Bay if I would have any chance of making it to Boston within my remaining time off from work.

So, from this conflict, John and Evelyn switched as the "crew", and Evelyn and I headed out on Saturday the 28th, after John and I replaced the packing / stuffing in the stuffing box.

When doing this stuffing box work, though we had access to supplies of stuffing materials, John indicated no need to acquire any other than what happened to be onboard, so that is what we used. There were 3 different sizes of this material, and we used them all.

As Evelyn and I headed North, I noticed more leakage from the stuffing box than was healthy, so I tightened the packing; this boats' stuffing box is the type which has 2 rectangular plates held together with 2 bolts, with the inside "plate" having a collar which fits inside the outside plate, and a packing material is inserted in the gap of these collars. Each tightening action temporarily stopped the leakage, but within minutes the leakage returned. Luckily the bilge pump kept up with this leak.

Finally, I saw that the packing material was being broken up by the propeller shaft and the leak was in full flow status.

Also, the SW winds picked up to 30 + knots, inspiring us to head into them, effectively returning to Beaufort, NC. We pulled into that marina Sunday, 7/29, at about noon.

So, considering it would require acquisition of the correct stuffing box packing material on Monday, and the time to install it, we no longer had anywhere near enough time available from work to proceed.

Time and wrong choices worked against us.

The stuffing box has been repaired by competent people, and we have a delivery Captain about to bring her to Boston while Evelyn and I at our jobs.

And there you have it. Never easy or boring.

Doug
Old 08-02-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Good to hear you're back in the saddle again Doug. I'm sure you'll soon work your way through the teething pains of your new-to-you boat so you can resume your sailing adventures again.

All the best!