Captain S/V Triumph
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston Yacht Haven
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Re: Last Night at the Harvard Club
Well folks, we're in the middle of the delivery from Fort Lauderdale to Boston of our CT 56 / Triumph.
Initially John (a "hired friend"), and I had to spend 5 days, from Friday 7/20 through Tuesday addressing various issues in preparation for the cruise North. We had to address hydraulic steering hose replacements, engine starting issues, and batteries and their associated wiring, and charging systems. This effectively ate up the extra time I had allocated for the cruise north from work. The largest time "lost" was because of the elusive true engine starting issue of the ignition key mechanism being the real culprit; not the battery, wires, terminals, etc. Probably 2 days were eaten up until we discovered the ignition key mechanism was faulty.
We cast off on Wednesday, 7/25, and made it as far as Beaufort, N.C., where we put in at a Marina on Friday the 27th, in order to address leakage from the stuffing box.
While there, John and I had discussions of the remaining course to follow wherein his priority of his personal comfort was determined to be in conflict with my time constraints. It sort of all came down to his demand to hug the coastline and then sail inside Long Island NY., and my calculation to make a straight line from where we were to Buzzards' Bay if I would have any chance of making it to Boston within my remaining time off from work.
So, from this conflict, John and Evelyn switched as the "crew", and Evelyn and I headed out on Saturday the 28th, after John and I replaced the packing / stuffing in the stuffing box.
When doing this stuffing box work, though we had access to supplies of stuffing materials, John indicated no need to acquire any other than what happened to be onboard, so that is what we used. There were 3 different sizes of this material, and we used them all.
As Evelyn and I headed North, I noticed more leakage from the stuffing box than was healthy, so I tightened the packing; this boats' stuffing box is the type which has 2 rectangular plates held together with 2 bolts, with the inside "plate" having a collar which fits inside the outside plate, and a packing material is inserted in the gap of these collars. Each tightening action temporarily stopped the leakage, but within minutes the leakage returned. Luckily the bilge pump kept up with this leak.
Finally, I saw that the packing material was being broken up by the propeller shaft and the leak was in full flow status.
Also, the SW winds picked up to 30 + knots, inspiring us to head into them, effectively returning to Beaufort, NC. We pulled into that marina Sunday, 7/29, at about noon.
So, considering it would require acquisition of the correct stuffing box packing material on Monday, and the time to install it, we no longer had anywhere near enough time available from work to proceed.
Time and wrong choices worked against us.
The stuffing box has been repaired by competent people, and we have a delivery Captain about to bring her to Boston while Evelyn and I at our jobs.
And there you have it. Never easy or boring.