Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Done...
Thank you very much! I apologize for having mis-categorized this in the first place!

It is good to be amongst the sailing / sailors, where we would like to believe we "belong". :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Doug is back? Wholly SHIITE!

Welcome back man!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 01-20-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Doug is back? Wholly SHIITE!

Welcome back man!
Thank you LandLocked!

We're going to California next weekend to look at some Taiwanese sailboats there, so that we can get back to the blow boats ASAP. :-)

But, in the mean time: Go Patriots! :-)
Old 01-21-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
But, in the mean time: Go Patriots! :-)
Brady put on a clinic for Baby Tebow! I enjoyed that win immensely!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 01-21-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Good to see you Doug.

You are the resident expert on certain things. The forum is better for you being here.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 01-21-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Brady put on a clinic for Baby Tebow! I enjoyed that win immensely!
Turned out that Tebow was really injured in the third quarter, but played on!
Perhaps he has the spirit of a sailor! :-)

Nevertheless, Brady & Co., seriously ended their season, and sadly that game wasn't that "exciting".

Tomorrow should be very interesting, from a Patriots' fans point of view, we're on pins and needles wondering how this will turn out. Not only are they going to the SuperBowl, but if they can beat the Ravens, then there really is a very good chance they will win the SuperBowl.

But, more importantly..... should we buy a Taiwanese sailboat? :-)

We're seeing them for around $100K, plus or minus $20K, in varying conditions. But, I've never SAILED one!? Having sailed that Gulfstar, for over 10 years, I suppose it won't take too much to satisfy me. :-)

So, relative to the Triumph, I will be very curious to experience a Formosa or Hudson, or Force 50... under full sail, with light winds, and with strong winds, and see how she deals with it.

Will they sail fairly similarly, or will there be any appreciable differences; and what will those differences be??

Have you (anyone) sailed any of those boats? And sailed a Gulfstar 50 ketch? I would love to hear peoples' thoughts / experiences who have sailed both.
Old 01-21-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Good to see you Doug.

You are the resident expert on certain things. The forum is better for you being here.

Regards,
Brad
Thank you Brad! If there is anything I can share, any specific highlights from my experience(s), which could be best used by others, they would be:

1. Really try to have your boat READY to do whatever long cruise you might be planning, such that you won't be worn down by daily / hourly "issues". Or else don't leave the dock until you really have addressed the various weak links in your systems.

Before we left Boston, we had already burnt ourselves out addressing larger issues, for instance I rebuilt about 7 feet of the deck, by removing the soggy wood, replacing it, then re-fiberglassing / gel coating that whole area. And I only finished that about 1 day before we left.

Yes, we had spent years addressing zillions of other big and small issues, but there still were some things left - all of which reared their ugly heads while out to sea. And a small issue, at the dock, is a big issue out to sea.
The biggest "cost" is that addressing even the smallest of these things while out to sea, stresses the crew 10 X as much.

The ocean / weather will already provide plenty of surprises requiring actions and efforts to adjust to, you sure don't also need to be fixing something while a storm is bearing down on you.

2. Tune your rig. :-) What I had no knowledge of was that it HAS to be "dynamically tuned". When we stepped our main mast about 10 months before we headed East, without having dynamically tuned it after that, in effect, I did a lot more damage to our boat than if I hadn't stepped it at all.

We had 2 completely different rigger "companies" providing our out and in needs, but neither one mentioned the need to dynamically tune the rig.
One rigger was from West Marine, and the other was the best one in Fort Lauderdale: Nance & Underwood. Both had / have decades of experience and seemed to know their stuff. Which I still don't question; but, perhaps I didn't ask the right question, or something, but now I know, and am therefore sharing the mantra: Dynamically tune your rig.

Now I seriously doubt any of this is really new or unique info to many of you sailors, but what might make me the "resident expert" here, is what happens when you don't do these things, and whatever else was discussed on the original S/V Triumph thread.

If nothing else, I am the luckiest bastard here, who did so many things wrong, and yet by a very slim last minute chance, ended up alive.
For that, I will accept the "resident expert" moniker. :-)
Old 01-21-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post

But, more importantly..... should we buy a Taiwanese sailboat? :-)

We're seeing them for around $100K, plus or minus $20K, in varying conditions. But, I've never SAILED one!? Having sailed that Gulfstar, for over 10 years, I suppose it won't take too much to satisfy me. :-)

So, relative to the Triumph, I will be very curious to experience a Formosa or Hudson, or Force 50... under full sail, with light winds, and with strong winds, and see how she deals with it.

Will they sail fairly similarly, or will there be any appreciable differences; and what will those differences be??

Have you (anyone) sailed any of those boats? And sailed a Gulfstar 50 ketch? I would love to hear peoples' thoughts / experiences who have sailed both.
Well, I'll offer the same opinion I did back in Post #567 of the other thread...

I have racked up a considerable number of miles delivering Island Trader 51s, probably less than 1% of them under working sails alone... I'll leave it to you to deduce the likely reason for that... (grin)

Suffice it to say, sailing a Formosa/Hudson/Force 50 in light airs is unlikely to produce a rewarding sailing experience, for most... Furthermore, if you did locate one on the West Coast and wanted to bring it back East, they are not a particularly weatherly boat close-hauled, and beating back out of the Caribbean from the Canal could be a very arduous trip...

Again, if you are serious about looking for a Taiwanese boat of that vintage, I'd strongly suggest you speak to Bob Perry, and consider using his consulting service... I doubt anyone knows more about the variety of boats and the quality produced by various yards in Taiwan during those years than Bob does, and availing yourself of such knowledge could be money very well spent...
Old 01-21-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Again, if you are serious about looking for a Taiwanese boat of that vintage, I'd strongly suggest you speak to Bob Perry, and consider using his consulting service...
Or at least buy his book:
Amazon.com: Yacht Design According to Perry: My Boats and What Shaped Them (9780071465571): Robert Perry: Books
Old 01-21-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
So I gotta know. It seems like your objective is to be the "expertest". That's kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, I'll offer the same opinion I did back in Post #567 of the other thread...

I have racked up a considerable number of miles delivering Island Trader 51s, probably less than 1% of them under working sails alone... I'll leave it to you to deduce the likely reason for that... (grin)

Suffice it to say, sailing a Formosa/Hudson/Force 50 in light airs is unlikely to produce a rewarding sailing experience, for most... Furthermore, if you did locate one on the West Coast and wanted to bring it back East, they are not a particularly weatherly boat close-hauled, and beating back out of the Caribbean from the Canal could be a very arduous trip...

Again, if you are serious about looking for a Taiwanese boat of that vintage, I'd strongly suggest you speak to Bob Perry, and consider using his consulting service... I doubt anyone knows more about the variety of boats and the quality produced by various yards in Taiwan during those years than Bob does, and availing yourself of such knowledge could be money very well spent...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-21-2012 at 09:10 PM.