Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Doug,

I'm glad to see that you are back, and that my offer to get you involved with the Pelagic sailing club has been followed up on!

RE your next boat: May I suggest a Shannon?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2012

BostonSailor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip on your presentation at the Pelagic club meeting in May. Looking forward to hearing more and meeting a local Sailnet'er
Old 01-22-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the boat search -- hope it's fun. I think people mean well and just don't know what to say and that it's time to move on... and they may have met people who had a big experience and didn't move on. Is Sea Hag on this board to talk about her Leaky Teaky?
Old 01-22-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Well good luck Doug, and I wish you the best of luck in your search and I hope it all works out for you as you desire - hopefully the old thread and past conflicts can be left back in 2011, and we can all start fresh for the new year 2012 with a clean slate.

Again, best of luck!
Old 01-22-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Those 3 boats are all dogs. A 50 footer for 100K? There goes a few more years addressing a zillion small and big things. Best you get a smaller boat that actually sails so you can address those issues while sailing locally, and not waiting to be offshore to find them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 01-22-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So I gotta know. It seems like your objective is to be the "expertest". That's kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
Well, I'll offer the same opinion I did back in Post #567 of the other thread...

I have racked up a considerable number of miles delivering Island Trader 51s, probably less than 1% of them under working sails alone... I'll leave it to you to deduce the likely reason for that... (grin)

Suffice it to say, sailing a Formosa/Hudson/Force 50 in light airs is unlikely to produce a rewarding sailing experience, for most... Furthermore, if you did locate one on the West Coast and wanted to bring it back East, they are not a particularly weatherly boat close-hauled, and beating back out of the Caribbean from the Canal could be a very arduous trip...

Again, if you are serious about looking for a Taiwanese boat of that vintage, I'd strongly suggest you speak to Bob Perry, and consider using his consulting service... I doubt anyone knows more about the variety of boats and the quality produced by various yards in Taiwan during those years than Bob does, and availing yourself of such knowledge could be money very well spent...
Well, Doug solicited opinions about the sailing qualities of a particular 50' design, one with which I just happen to be quite familiar... So, I simply offered mine...

If that seems "kinda weird", so be it...
Old 01-22-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Who let Smack off his leash???

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 01-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Smack, what ever came of trying to get open water boat to boat rescue incorporated into safety training?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-22-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Smack, what ever came of trying to get open water boat to boat rescue incorporated into safety training?
Still working it. I've gotten some great input from some big hitters, have written an article that I'm shopping for publishing right now, and have also taken a pass at presentation content for a Safety at Sea seminar session.

It looks like I'll attend the SAS seminar in March at the New York Yacht Club to run everything by Trossbach and Jobson. We'll see what they say.

I'll let you know when I know more.
MedSailor and DougSabbag like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-22-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Welcome back Doug.

I'm not surprised that all the yachties wanted to talk with y'all about was the disaster. I've only ever met one person who has swum from a lifeboat to a freighter (you belong to a small fraternity my friend). He was a doctor that I worked briefly with. What did I do when he told me that he sunk his boat offshore and was rescued by a tanker? I asked him when and where I could meet him for the story and what the price was. It happened to be 4AM in the ER (and the price was coffee) as he was getting off shift, so I got up at 3AM to hear the story.

Why did I do that, when most other yachtie's stories I could take or leave? Because I'm obsessed with the possibility of things going wrong. We all are.

How many threads on sailnet are about safety gear, the best boat for offshore storms, storm tactics, drogues vs para-anchors etc etc etc.... Few threads on sailnet are about the perfect margarita recipe. Why? Because we're all obsessed with the big, scary, looming "What IF?"

Well "What IF" rarely happens, so we are left to obsess about it in the absence of first hand knowledge. "What IF" actually did happen to you, so everybody wants to hear all about it, and get first hand answers about their own personal fears from the oracle himself.

It's a pity that we're all so disaster obsessed, but we are. I think it's a cultural thing of our time. Too much TV and sensational news I supect. We're so much more obsessed and scared of the remotely possible events, like airplane crashes, terrorism, or rare plagues (but never real risk like high cholesterol or heavy car traffic) that it impedes our ability to enjoy life I fear.

In any case, to a sailor, you are like a 9/11 twin towers survivor is to an office drone. Everybody will want to hear your story, and everybody will want YOU to address THEIR version of what they fear most. Unless you want to keep the fact that you did have that experience quiet, you're going to run into the Harvard Club experience a lot.

I wish you well in your boat search. I hope that even though you lost your beloved Triumph, you can still enjoy the thrill and possibility of searching for, and falling in love with another boat again.

MedSailor
smackdaddy and olddog60 like this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.