Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcMaine View Post
Doug...

Probably not even close to what you're looking for. But I saw this on craig's list and thought of you...

47 Foot Ketch
Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Thank you.

We went aboard a Shannon at a Fort Lauderdale Boat Show a couple years ago, and were very impressed with their quality.

But, from what we've found, they are rather expensive, and we didn't see any large enough to accomodate our liveaboard / chartering needs.

As much as many people can enjoy living aboard high 30 - mid 40 foot sailboats, after 11 years on a Gulfstar 50, we are really looking forward to a more spacious interior and deck space.

And, on the monetary issues, we want to be aboard a sailboat ASAP, instead of working for a couple of years to save up more hundreds of thousands of dollars, and we would rather not have a loan to pay.

So..... as much as we know there are better boats, we're sort of forced toward the Taiwanese boats, built in the 1980s, which at least offer the spaciousness we're looking forward to, and they generally have solid wood interiors which can be restored. As opposed to the veneered interiors which aren't worthy or able to be sanded and varnished to restore their interiors.

If on the other hand you know of a 50 + foot Shannon, for sale at a price well under $200K, (our upper limit is about $150K), we sure would be interested. Their interior quality clearly supports restoration, but, again, I haven't seen any 50 + footers. I am just not aware of that size Shannons existing....?

We are also focused on ketches! Are there any Shannons which are ketch rigged?

And, just to further complicate the issues, either a pilot house cockpit or center cockpit configuration is also high on our list of requirements, again, because these allow the interior space, (especially the aft cabin) to be "spacious", and they allow very good "from the cockpit" single handling of the rigging and line of sight steering, especially for a short guy like me....
:-)

All of this keeps bringing us back to the 1980s Taiwanese boats; but we sure are "open" to another brand which meets these requirements.

1. Spacious interior / pilot house or center cockpit
2. Price $150K or less
3. High quality wood work
4. Ketch rigged
5. Sweeping deck would also be welcomed, vs. those (like the Gulfstar) whose cabin tops sticks out from the deck.
Look here: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=50186&url=

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 02-21-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Well, so far, in our boat shopping mission, we have travelled to Long Beach, Sab Diego, Kemah TX, and New Orleans. We have seen many Formosa 51s, Hudsons, and the other Taiwanese ketches on our radar. We even looked at the S/V Wanderer which was used in the sailing scenes of the Captain Ron movie. But, what we have learned is that even in this "economy", you still only get what you pay for. Which applies here in that these boats were asking anywhere from $75K to $125K, and all were absolutely beat.

Not to mention that most of these happened to not have the actual pilot house cockpit which we wanted in order to have the spacious aft cabin we wanted even more.

So, we regrouped, and upped our budget to $200K, and have found THE perfect boat for us. The Ta Chiao CT 54 ketch.

Now, from what we have learned, these vary substantially from boat to boat, depending upon how much involvement there was during the original build process by the initial owner / customer.

Some people have tried to draw a line in the sand and say that pre 1981 TC 54s are "Leeky Teekys", but some further detective work leads back to the amount of owner involvement with the build process being the real delineator between a well built, and a not so well built TC 54.

We have found about a half a dozen of these boats for sale; and they are scattered from the VIs to Europe. And all of them are roughly in the $250K asking price range.
So, apparently we have to go look at all of them to pick one, then we can focus on that one to try to negotiate as far down as possible.

IF, by any chance, any of you people happen to know of a Ta Chiao CT 54 ketch for sale, even if she has a blown engine, I would REALLY APPRECIATE the reference!

THANK YOU!
Doug
Old 02-21-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
This one's only 195 euro...

Ta Chiao CT 54 Luxury Ketch for sale in South Oban, Argyll

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-21-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

That IS an excellent example of a CT 54! Thank you LandLocked.

While looking for those, I happened upon this:

2012 53' Pavel Shaposhnikov Schooner (Google on them!)

Apparently, this Ukrainian boat yard will build a 53 foot schooner for you for $145K!?

Has any body heard about these people? When you read up on them, they will build many different boat designs for you.

So we're very intrigued! A 2012 bran new 53 footer for under $150K.... and did you see the pictures? This is not a stripped hull. Well, I'll have to contact them and see what the deal really is......
Old 02-22-2012

So it would be a wood hull? Interesting.

Have you consulted with Bob Perry yet, he's involved in quite a few builds right now.

Old 02-22-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Land locked:

Well, the concept of the Ukrainian boat yard was a momentary voyage down a tributary; but, back on the proper course, we are focused on the Ta Chiao CT 54 or 56 boats.

Here is a CT 56, in Florida, which we are especially interested in:

1986 Ta Chiao CT-56 World cruiser Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I wonder what I would ask Mr. Perry which would be of value to this search?
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Land locked:

Well, the concept of the Ukrainian boat yard was a momentary voyage down a tributary; but, back on the proper course, we are focused on the Ta Chiao CT 54 or 56 boats.

Here is a CT 56, in Florida, which we are especially interested in:

1986 Ta Chiao CT-56 World cruiser Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I wonder what I would ask Mr. Perry which would be of value to this search?
Not totally sure, but he is a respected designer that works with a bunch of yards. Maybe you could build through him and arrive at an american built boat built to your specs. Wouldn't hurt asking, more information is never a bad thing.

I like the Captain Ron thing that you are going for!

Old 02-22-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Landlocked,

I recently read Perrys' book; great reading! But, to pay for a new build, with Perry designing her, would clearly cost well over our $200K budget!
Though there might be the possibility of having that Ukranian yard build her at their greatly lowered prices.... so that is an interesting concept.
I would still be very surprised if the total cost would be below $200K, and have all the required equipment, and quailty of wood we want.

The CT 56, in St. Augustine (see link previously posted), is not the Captain Ron boat. That was a Formosa 51, named the "Wanderer", and she is in Kemah, Texas. Though the CT 56 is another Taiwanese built boat, and likewise designed by Perry.

I just spoke with the broker, and he said she has the "original" standing and running rigging, deck, and sails. So, original from 1986, means: beat.

So.... with all those negatives, there is clearly enough to negotiate the price down with, toward our top budget amount of $200K.

Now I need to look at her to learn how much else is beat; and whether or not we really want this particular one, or not.
Old 02-22-2012

Quote:
Landlocked,

I recently read Perrys' book; great reading! But, to pay for a new build, with Perry designing her, would clearly cost well over our $200K budget!
Though there might be the possibility of having that Ukranian yard build her at their greatly lowered prices.... so that is an interesting concept.
I would still be very surprised if the total cost would be below $200K, and have all the required equipment, and quailty of wood we want.

The CT 56, in St. Augustine (see link previously posted), is not the Captain Ron boat. That was a Formosa 51, named the "Wanderer", and she is in Kemah, Texas. Though the CT 56 is another Taiwanese built boat, and likewise designed by Perry.

I just spoke with the broker, and he said she has the "original" standing and running rigging, deck, and sails. So, original from 1986, means: beat.

So.... with all those negatives, there is clearly enough to negotiate the price down with, toward our top budget amount of $200K.

Now I need to look at her to learn how much else is beat; and whether or not we really want this particular one, or not.
I figured it would be cost prohibitive, but with the state of things these days who knows... So how expensive would standing rigging be for a behemoth like that - I hate to even know!