Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
It would be interesting to see how much custom boat you could get with $200k - my guess would be about 26'.
Old 02-22-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road
Well, I can only assume the standing rigging would cost around $35K, give or take. But, however much it might cost, would be used as a negotiating point. We need the price to move from $295K down to below $200K, which is about 1/3 of the whole. That is a long way down..... :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
It would be interesting to see how much custom boat you could get with $200k - my guess would be about 26'.
For sure.... BUT, if you Google this: 2012 53' Pavel Shaposhnikov Schooner
You would see that that Ukranian boat builder, (who claims to have built boats for such notables as the Queen of England), is asking $145K to build that 53' Schooner! WOW!?
Old 02-22-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
For sure.... BUT, if you Google this: 2012 53' Pavel Shaposhnikov Schooner
You would see that that Ukranian boat builder, (who claims to have built boats for such notables as the Queen of England), is asking $145K to build that 53' Schooner! WOW!?
Hmmm, does he have any PICTURES of any boats supposedly built to all those designs, or only drawings, or CAD renderings?

Have you looked at where Sumi, Ukraine, actually IS? There's usually a pretty good reason why most boatbuilders are located remotely close to the water. How eager would you be, own a 53' schooner built in a yard located, say, near the North Dakota-Montana state line?

Hope you're not seriously considering this... (grin)
Old 02-22-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hmmm, does he have any PICTURES of any boats supposedly built to all those designs, or only drawings, or CAD renderings?

Have you looked at where Sumi, Ukraine, actually IS? There's usually a pretty good reason why most boatbuilders are located remotely close to the water. How eager would you be, own a 53' schooner built in a yard located, say, near the North Dakota-Montana state line?

Hope you're not seriously considering this... (grin)
"he" is a boat yard with over 400 people working there; according to their information.

You know Jon, with this recent "doubting Thomas" reply of yours to a relatively friendly posting of a boat yard advertising attractive rates, you have again presented the sort of "attitude" which inspired me to clearly tell you to get lost in the prior thread we "conversed" on.

With comments like: "Hope you're not seriously considering this... (grin)" in one fell swoop, you not only denigrate the boat yard, but you also denigrate the person who is talking about it.

This attitude does not work well with people. Perhaps you should consider changing it to a more socially acceptable one. Or not, your choice.
But, I just thought you might be enlightened by this review, considering the freshness of your vile posting.

Try reading your post, as though you were the recipient, and then you might be able to "feel" your attitude and how it presents to people. Or not, your choice.

Sincerely,
Doug Sabbag
Old 02-22-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
It is an interesting-looking boat. I wonder how they could built it for that price though. Certainly labor is going to quite a bit cheaper less in Ukraine, but can it be that much less. If you look at boats made in China where labor is cheaper than Ukraine they are cheaper but not that much cheaper. Also a wooden boat requires more skilled labor force than fg construction.

Worth checking out though to see if they have delivered any boats you could see. The pics show lovely interior finish but it sounds like a company that builds commercial craft which is something different. Also, having a 53' wooden boat to look after scares the crap out of me. Once considered a 28' gaff-cutter but returned to my sanity before doing anything silly.
Old 02-22-2012
Captain S/V Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
It is an interesting-looking boat. I wonder how they could built it for that price though. Certainly labor is going to quite a bit cheaper less in Ukraine, but can it be that much less. If you look at boats made in China where labor is cheaper than Ukraine they are cheaper but not that much cheaper. Also a wooden boat requires more skilled labor force than fg construction.

Worth checking out though to see if they have delivered any boats you could see. The pics show lovely interior finish but it sounds like a company that builds commercial craft which is something different. Also, having a 53' wooden boat to look after scares the crap out of me. Once considered a 28' gaff-cutter but returned to my sanity before doing anything silly.
Yes, I was quite intrigued by this yards' advertisement. Though as far as the wooden hull, on the specs I looked at for their schooner, it stated an epoxy over wood lay up.

Regardless, we're still only interested in the CT 54 or 56s. I was just amazed about this yards' existence and $145K price for a NEW 53' schooner!
Old 02-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Land locked:

Well, the concept of the Ukrainian boat yard was a momentary voyage down a tributary; but, back on the proper course, we are focused on the Ta Chiao CT 54 or 56 boats.

Here is a CT 56, in Florida, which we are especially interested in:

1986 Ta Chiao CT-56 World cruiser Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I wonder what I would ask Mr. Perry which would be of value to this search?
I have a real soft spot for visuals like this beauty. I can understand why you are attracted to her. I always remind myself that these beauties take a lot of money and/or effort to keep that way. I'm sure you know that. Just keep lust and logic independent.

From reading the listing, I see some yellow flags. Lots of attention to aesthetics, but not much to systems. I see things like a compass and bilge pump listed (that always cracks me up). For the motor, all i see is a reported cruising speed, but no detail on engine, hrs, etc. A real pretty paint job is often intended to distract from the rest of the house.

Keep your eyes wide open and good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-22-2012

Sea Diamond is on a distinguished road
You're absolutely right about some of the design strengths of the Beneteau, most people don't know about the carbon fiber used in these. The design of our 2000 Oceanis 38 is so well thought out that everything seems to be right where it should be... winches, clutches, etc. Although the woodwork looks nice it but is clearly mahonogy veneer, and I find is less attractive in the newer models.
Old 02-22-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
"he" is a boat yard with over 400 people working there; according to their information.

You know Jon, with this recent "doubting Thomas" reply of yours to a relatively friendly posting of a boat yard advertising attractive rates, you have again presented the sort of "attitude" which inspired me to clearly tell you to get lost in the prior thread we "conversed" on.

With comments like: "Hope you're not seriously considering this... (grin)" in one fell swoop, you not only denigrate the boat yard, but you also denigrate the person who is talking about it.

This attitude does not work well with people. Perhaps you should consider changing it to a more socially acceptable one. Or not, your choice.
But, I just thought you might be enlightened by this review, considering the freshness of your vile posting.

Try reading your post, as though you were the recipient, and then you might be able to "feel" your attitude and how it presents to people. Or not, your choice.

Sincerely,
Doug Sabbag
My apologies for the flip response, just sounded a bit too good to be true, to me... And, having more than a passing familiarity with some of the methods/practices of the Far Eastern boatbuilding industry in its infancy, I can only imagine what some of the goings-on might be in a place like the present day Ukraine...

OK, so I fired up the Google Machine, and one of the first things I came across was this thread over on Cruisers Forum... Some interesting reading, to say the least...

Sorry, but I don't know any other way to put it: People are free to believe what they want to believe, of course... But, after reading this thread, I hope you're not still seriously considering this...

Ukraine Boat Builders Inquiry - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

But, hey - if you have no problem sending him a non-refundable deposit of $5K simply in order to obtain a list of detailed specifications (such as type of engine(s), and so on), I say Go For It! (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-22-2012 at 03:55 PM.