Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
what to do with the exterior side of bronze portholes

Hey all, I just purchased the set of 6 bronze Alden portholes from Bacons in Annapolis. They didn't come with brass rings for the exterior side, and was wondering what it would cost to get some made, or how should I finish the outside to both look good, and create a tight seal to prevent water ingression. Before, the boat had non opening windows with teak trim inside and out. Just kinda looking for some ideas, Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
what to do with the exterior side of bronze portholes-porthole1.jpg   what to do with the exterior side of bronze portholes-porthole.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2012
young salt

Also wondering if anyone knows a do it yourself method of makind and installing screens inside the ports, Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Hmm, I have been admiring those since they showed up at Bacon... never looked close enough to realize they were missing the outer trim rings though.

I think your options are to either make teak outer rings, or get some 1/4 inch silicon bronze sheet, and cut them out for yourself. Kind of an expensive/tough job either way. Personally, after working with bronze a bit this year I'd go the route of cutting them out myself in bronze with a jigsaw and a ton of metal blades (and cutting oil, you will NEED that for sure). If you make them from teak, make sure you don't just cut rings from solid pieces of wood - they will split if done that way.

Screens... another tough thing, tougher than it looks. You could braze some bronze screening to a bronze wire, pre shaped to the inner shape of the window, fitted with some rubber "nubs" that hold it in via friction..

I know a metal guy who works in bronze (not cheap). If you're interested, pm me and I'll give you how contact info. Best of luck!
Old 01-21-2012

S/V Utopia is on a distinguished road
NICE!! We actually just bought new bronze portlights from Minney's in CA. My fiancee has a bronze furnace and will be casting our exterior trim rings, PM me and I will give you his contact info! There is also a company in Maine who makes screens, fairly inexpensive from what I'm told. When the "hubs" wakes up, I can have him post more info.

Amy
Utopia
37' Endeavour Owner

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 01-21-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
The old (1968) screen frames on my bronze ports are cracked at the frames, retainers broken. I've had success cutting hardware store plastic screen to shape and gluing it inside the frame with clear sealant. Let us know how it works out, whatever you decide.
Old 01-21-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
The external frames for these are essentially mirror images of the interior frames but with the 'high hat or throat' section slightly larger so that the inner frame + outer frame fits together ... like an "interlocking socket". You might want to check with some of the remaining US bronze foundries (Newfound Metals, etc.) who do such work and see if they may have the 'patterns' to mold-up new exterior frames.

I keep my portlights mirror polished (prepped as: flatsanded w/1500 grit then bright/mirror polished with jewelers rouge and high speed fabric wheel ... then heavy sprayed with a urethane-acrylic copolymer coating (I use Honey Teak 'clear') ... important to also coat the 'behind' surfaces to prevent corrosion that always starts 'behind' the frames and 'creeps' to the visible surfaces especially through the 'bolt holes'. This coating will last for 5-6 years if 'heavy applied'; coating 'behind' will lengthen the time for recoating. The next time I rebed these frames (this time with butyl tape), I will consider to send them out and have them heavy coated with clear powder-coat.
Example of mirror polished and coated bronze frames: http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...Aquila/HT1.jpg
Old 01-21-2012

S/V Utopia is on a distinguished road
Check out Screens of Schooner Bay Home

Amy
Utopia
37' Endeavour Owner

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 01-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Purchase some appropriate bronze sheet then find an outfit with a waterjet or laser cutter and have them cut rings that will slip over the throat. Pair them with the ports and drill the mounting holes. Alternatively you can cut them with a plasma cutter but that will require more finish work to clean up the edges.

Spend the extra time to polish them as per RichH - it's well worth it and only a little more work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-21-2012
young salt

what about forging my own? I mean it seams pretty simple. My dad has a blacksmiths forge as well as iron ladles. Build a template out of wood, then use some kind of high temperature ceramic to make the mold, heat some scrap bronze to liquid state, pour it in the mold, and then use a grinder to clean them up... is there something I'm missing?? Also the idea Chrisncate had about finding bronze sheet, I think 1/8 would be fine, as that is the thickness of the inside face, finding it is the problem, and i'm sure it wont be cheep but I only need a 1.5' by 3' piece. I just spent $800 on the ports, and I'm sure If I had some one make them for me I would be getting close to double the price.. I cant imagine some one making them for less than 100 dollars a ring.. really appreciate all your input everyone. Man these suckers are gonna look sweet when I get em in, not to mention all the nice cool draft Ill be getting with opening ports!
Old 01-21-2012
young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The external frames for these are essentially mirror images of the interior frames but with the 'high hat or throat' section slightly larger so that the inner frame + outer frame fits together ... like an "interlocking socket". You might want to check with some of the remaining US bronze foundries (Newfound Metals, etc.) who do such work and see if they may have the 'patterns' to mold-up new exterior frames.

I keep my portlights mirror polished (prepped as: flatsanded w/1500 grit then bright/mirror polished with jewelers rouge and high speed fabric wheel ... then heavy sprayed with a urethane-acrylic copolymer coating (I use Honey Teak 'clear') ... important to also coat the 'behind' surfaces to prevent corrosion that always starts 'behind' the frames and 'creeps' to the visible surfaces especially through the 'bolt holes'. This coating will last for 5-6 years if 'heavy applied'; coating 'behind' will lengthen the time for recoating. The next time I rebed these frames (this time with butyl tape), I will consider to send them out and have them heavy coated with clear powder-coat.
Example of mirror polished and coated bronze frames: http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...Aquila/HT1.jpg
So I was told they were re-bronzed not too long ago, need I worry about sanding this off while trying to clean them up?? I mean I don't really understand it, they are solid bronze, so I would think sanding them would bring out the natural shine, but this re-bronzed business has me wondering...? by the way, really appreciate your help!