Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Laura Dekker makes land on St Maarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
She has been sailing all her life, and obviously had the maturity to handle the challenges. I'm not sure if I as a parent would have had her pursue her dream, but her parents know her better then any one of us arm chair critics.
She was even born on a boat! Probably knew more about sailing by the time she was 10 than most of us will ever know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road

I'm inclined to agree with you. As a society we baby our children too much. I think children have the ability to be much more capable & mature than we allow in today's society. I say hats to young Ms. Dekker & congratulations on a job well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Why as time goes on does mankind take longer to mature? 2,000 years ago girls were commonly married at 12 years old and soon there after raise a family. If a 12 year old girl is capable (as history has shown us it is) then I see no reason why a 14 year old could then not single hand a sailboat around the world today.
Keith Hunt - Women and Marriage in Jesus' time #1 - Page One

Seems it has more to do with the way children are raised that limits the child than the true abilities of the child.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 03-22-2012

deckofficer is on a distinguished road

This is how Laura adapts to any situation. While in Fuji she met up with another cruiser that had to leave for a week and offered his rattle trap car for her to use if she was able to keep it running. Laura had never driven a car, let alone a stick shift, but that final day before he left, she watched how he drove and shifted and figured "no problem" and it wasn't for her.

I have quite a collection of pictures of Laura sailing, and she has an uncanny ability to dial into anything she is sailing, from the Tall Ship Stad Amsterdam, all the way down in size to an inflatable catamaran sailing dinghy that she demo'ed at last year's Holland boat show so well in heavy weather that they just gave it to her. While in Colon, Nick pushed her off the beach in crazy weather, expecting a almost instant capsize, but no, she had probably 5 hours sailing it her style (heavy weather), previously, so just powered out, flying a hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
This is how Laura adapts to any situation. While in Fuji she met up with another cruiser that had to leave for a week and offered his rattle trap car for her to use if she was able to keep it running. Laura had never driven a car, let alone a stick shift, but that final day before he left, she watched how he drove and shifted and figured "no problem" and it wasn't for her.

I have quite a collection of pictures of Laura sailing, and she has an uncanny ability to dial into anything she is sailing, from the Tall Ship Stad Amsterdam, all the way down in size to an inflatable catamaran sailing dinghy that she demo'ed at last year's Holland boat show so well in heavy weather that they just gave it to her. While in Colon, Nick pushed her off the beach in crazy weather, expecting a almost instant capsize, but no, she had probably 5 hours sailing it her style (heavy weather), previously, so just powered out, flying a hull.
Cool. She's even a better sailor than I thought.....
Old 03-23-2012

Her dad was a real task master with Laura when it came to sailing. At 6, he wouldn't let her sail her Optimist alone until she could demonstrate the ability to right it by herself after a capsize. From that point there was no stopping her. As she learned more, she found she had a passion for sailing in heavy weather "just to see what my boat could do". Before she outgrew the boundaries of lake sailing her dad taught her DR and other navigational skills. Unlike Jessica and Abby, Laura can celestial navigate with a sextant, almost a lost skill among cruisers. As a graduate of CMA, celestial navigation is still a requirement, and I still take sights, but on a poll at CF, a bit more than 1/2 that responded do not have that skill set.

She is a natural, I wish I had her talents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deckofficer; 03-23-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road

As a society we ask kids just a couple of years older than this to go into combat and get slaughtered on a battlefield. While I don't necessarily think I would let my 16 year old kid go sailing around the world on their own, I think we need to keep some perspective on the things that we as a society do expect from young people.
I have taken a lot of 17 and 18 year old boys onto battlefields, and thats just a little older than Laura, and their parent's let them go.
cupper3, casey1999 and -OvO- like this.
Old 03-23-2012

Caymanpete is on a distinguished road
So the spirit of adventure should be discouraged in our young? I say good on ya Girl!
Old 03-23-2012

Caymanpete is on a distinguished road
Laura Dekker makes land on St Maarten

Some of the comments about this brave young sailor's achievements reflect that we are not all cut out to be Adventurers. Thank God for that! If it was the case, the Ocean would not be the last great challenge that some (like me see it as.....
Old 03-23-2012

casey1999,

It just confirms it was her desire and nobody else. Even though her first solo experiences was in a very large lake where she could sail all day, anchor for the night and return, like most cruisers, she wanted greater distances.

Below is a piece of correspondence I had with Laura's neighbor..........

Re: Laura Dekker's Circumnavigation@DeckofficerThe reason that I defended Laura from the very beginning is that I respected her desire for the freedom of will. She was born on a sailing boat, traveled the world on a sailingboat and her first imprints were of those of being/living on a sailingboat.I know where she lived, Wijk bij Duurstede is not far away from our residence, and I know that in that small community she and her father were looked at some oddballs.In a very short time she showed the world what she is capable of and that sailing is not only natural to her buts also part of her living. I believe that you, being a pro understand that quite well as so many pro' s had offered their sympathies to her when she struggled against an unwilling (and complotting) bunch of low profile small town bureaucrats. The whole story (not told by Wikipedia) did start with a jealous small town bureaucrat who wanted to display his power.That it finally went wrong (for the bureaucrats) was the fact that she gained the help of a good lawyer and some strong supporters from various corners of the professional world. I believe that she is the ultimate soloist, solosailor.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me, back live again. I have never looked so forward to reading a book as I am when Laura gets her's published. MacG, the above poster is Dutch, but as all Dutch speak, read, and write English quite well. He and I have conversed in Dutch, but his grasp of English is of course better than my Dutch.

Old 03-29-2012

It appears the U S of A is recognizing Laura's accomplishments.

I'll have to order a couple of sheets of these stamps.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.