SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Laura Dekker makes land on St Maarten (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/82951-laura-dekker-makes-land-st-maarten.html)

flyingwelshman 01-21-2012 02:45 PM

Laura Dekker makes land on St Maarten

Teen ends globe-circling voyage in St. Maarten

Good on her!

HDChopper 01-21-2012 04:37 PM

Well done Laura !

Glad your alive & Got a dream done to boot .

Now your parents ought to get thier wish ;)

deow 01-21-2012 04:37 PM

Yeah, that's quite an accomplishment, but

Quote:

Dekker claims she is the youngest sailor to complete a round-the-world voyage, but Guinness World Records and the World Sailing Speed Record Council did not verify the claim, saying they no longer recognize records for youngest sailors to discourage dangerous attempts.
I understand the point of this.

KIVALO 01-21-2012 05:30 PM

Well done! Well done, indeed!

Kiltmadoc 01-21-2012 08:14 PM

Congrats Laura! Honestly, I cant understand this thing about her age. If she was mature enough and sensible enough, why couldn't she go? History is filled with many examples of mariners who started their careers as cabin boys around the same age (link: Michael A. Healy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

This "cult of the child" is not an old concept; it only arose in the Victorian era, and then only for landed gentry. Just look at pictures from 1911 and see who was operating the printing presses and commercial looms. (link: http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/young/images/y24.jpg and link: American Child Labour c.1900-1937, by Lewis Wickes Hines | Retronaut)

As the father of a 5yr old and a 6 month old, I have certainly had my moments of angst. But, if my kid wanted to do something bold, I would support them. Personally, it's been interesting learning to let go and let my 5 year old have the run of out very small local ski hill while I teach skiing. But, I know that he's sensible enough to not crash into a tree. In the meantime, he gets to meet new people, learn to socialize, learn to use money to buy snacks etc. If he came to me at age 12-14 and said that he wanted to sail to Bermuda, I would do what i could to support him....and perhaps find way to join him ;-)

deow 01-21-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc (Post 819643)
Honestly, I cant understand this thing about her age.

Sailing solo around the world is dangerous and no one wants to encourage an activity that could result in the death of a kid.

I don't mean to diminish Laura's accomplishment, but I also don't want to see younger and younger kids sailing single-handed around the world to try to beat a record. I just can't see it ending well.

Declining to verify the record is the right thing to do IMO.

AKscooter 01-21-2012 08:55 PM

Well done Laura, Hell of a nice job!

Do not worry ...the biggest lesson in life you learn, is that someone will ALWAYS piss on your accomplishments, while smiling at you!

neverknow 01-21-2012 11:39 PM

It's amazing to see how much has grown since she started.

jameswilson29 01-22-2012 06:54 AM

While children may possess the intelligence of some adults, what they lack is wisdom and perspective.

Most mature adults realize that being the youngest person to sail around the world is relatively meaningless and probably not a worthwhile venture, when you consider the risk involved.

Only 10 year olds and immature adults believe being listed in the Guiness Book of World Records matters...

flyingwelshman 01-22-2012 08:55 AM

I get that there is some controversy surrounding the "age" thing, however Laura - regardless of her age - has accomplished what many of us aspire to and few of us will achieve. For this alone she should be congratulated.