Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: casting Bronze porthole rings

Considering the time, expense and experience needed for the success of such an effort, you might find you are better off, and will have better results by dealing with a knowledgeable, experienced fabricator that might even have what you need off the shelf. For example, take a look at Bristol Bronze

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2013

zeyang is on a distinguished road

hi, i agree it will be faster and probably cheaper to ask someone else to do it.
That goes for everything in a boatbuilding process .
So we rather stick to making stuff ourselves.
What we gain is tremendous amount of skills in different type of fields.

ze
sailing the farm - a sea gypsy tribe of tomorrow
davidpm likes this.
Old 02-17-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road

I agree with you there but casting is just one of those super steep learning curves. Even with more forgiving materials such as lead and aluminum there is a pretty steep curve.

CNC can be quite involved. I would start by making a paper blueprint that I would take back to my old college professor to get one of his students to translate into G code which I would then help set up and run on one of the schools CNC machines to machine the part I want. I would then either sandblast or acid etch the part to obtain the desired semi rough finish on the outside (the casted look) and then I would install the part on my boat knowing that the allow was properly mixed.

The thing most people dont know about alloys and 1960-1970's rudder shafts are an excellent example.

Stanless steel has a content of nickle in it to help keep the steel from having its normal brittle sheer characteristic (Since a lot of force is sometimes exerted on rudders) this gives the rudder shaft some spring to be able to flex and bend as opposed to twist and break.

Nickle and steel are VERY hard to get mixed evenly into a good alloy. during the 70's and prior that alloy was hand mixed and hand casted. They have lasted very well but for anyone who has had the misfortune of owning one that someone did a bad cast on the result is that the nickle content is higher and lower in different portions of the shaft, the eventual result is you trying to figure out 1. how you catch your rudder thats floating away and 2. how you are going to get back to your slip/mooring.

We should all know that portholes are one of those areas that can sink a vessel when a storm becomes bad enough that you have to close up the cabin. Not the kind of an area where I would want to risk it.

Not when I can use materials already on hand to cut machine a part where the alloy will be as close to perfect as one can humanly make it.
Old 02-17-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road

I might add that with the rudder shaft example

Too much nickle in the alloy and the shaft is too soft and also will leach from the inside out (nickle leached out from the inside leaving a hollow weakened alloy that eventually breaks) too little nickle and the shaft will be brittle to radial twisting forces (such as those applied on a rudder)

Metals such as Aluminum, bronze, stainless steel, brass are all very very finnicky about this.
Old 02-17-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I put really expensive broken stuff back together and and the cost of the waste alone from DIY casting casting naval bronze would be

Even with aluminum its become so hard to get good castings (EPA)we just CNC it out of solid billet now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 02-17-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyang View Post
hi, i agree it will be faster and probably cheaper to ask someone else to do it.
That goes for everything in a boatbuilding process .
So we rather stick to making stuff ourselves.
What we gain is tremendous amount of skills in different type of fields.

ze
sailing the farm - a sea gypsy tribe of tomorrow
And how is the build going? Looks like you used Aluminum as "planks"?

Did a little sleuthing LOL here's the link to your build on Welding web. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=29094
and....

IMPRESSIVE PROJECT!

My boat is for sale.

Last edited by deniseO30; 02-17-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Costs????????? APX? Very curious...
That is the most epic 60 seconds of boatbuilding ive ever seen. What a freaking sick boat. Sick!
Also, OP, you are doing rugged stuff like the person above. I dig it and more power to you. Check out the book by
Old 02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Costs????????? APX? Very curious...
That is the most epic 60 seconds of boatbuilding ive ever seen. What a freaking sick boat. Sick!
Also, OP, you are doing rugged stuff like the person above. I dig it and more power to you. Check out the book by
Cost for the boat above?

Really hard to calculate. some 5000-7000 hours of work totally. 5 tonns alloy. 20 big tanks of argon. maybe around 1 ton pine totally (incl. cutoff) 6 ton scraplead. 60.000 kw electricity. some tons of food (for volunteers)
+ lot of bruises, 1 crashed skull. and lots and lots of fun and tears:-)

sofar.

ze

Last edited by zeyang; 02-17-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyang View Post
hi, we are doing some test of trying to cast in alloy.
Its not that easy, so we need some mroe testing first. Since we need 20 of them in different size we hope it would be easier to learn to cast them than trying to get them from china. (and more fun) Probably spend another week or two shaping up the skills a little.
ze

see youtube video on the first process.
Sailing the farm - porthole casting - YouTube
I think you and Brent Swain were separated at birth.

For that ring, wouldn't it have been a whole lot easier to just cut a piece of pipe of the right size?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I think you and Brent Swain were separated at birth.

For that ring, wouldn't it have been a whole lot easier to just cut a piece of pipe of the right size?
Yes. but it will soon be more advanced. since we need 20 pcs it will be good to find a way to cast this more or less in one piece with ears and everything.

like this.