Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012

TYLERWCOM is on a distinguished road
Perkins 4.154 Crank Pulley removal

I am trying to remove one or both of the front mounted crankshaft pulleys to replace with a serpentine belt for a larger alternator.
Looking at the front of the engine the first pulley (.5 inch Vee) has three bolts going through it, the next pulley is larger in diameter and has four bolts going through it.
How can I get one or both of the pulleys off the crankshaft?
The engine is a 1990 Perkins 4.154 or GA 00007-J13353 U 4-154-200 Series.
I heard they are cast iron and break easily.....HELP.
Attached Thumbnails
Perkins 4.154 Crank Pulley removal-4154_front1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
You intrigued me with your question so I did a bit of searching.

The Shop Manual and the Parts Manual are both available on line for the Perkins 4.154 engine. Download these two PDF files for future reference.

The shop manual on page 10 of 108 (page number is 9) shows the set up fairly clearly. There's a center bolt that affixes the crankshaft pulley to a keyed crankshaft. I infer from your picture, the aforementioned page, and the picture on page 15 of 52 in the parts manual that the power take off pulley is bolted on top of the crankshaft pulley.

My guess is that if you undo the bolts on your outer pulley and remove it, then you should have access to that center bolt. Good luck!

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 01-24-2012

TYLERWCOM is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Tom.

The manual the previous owner provided with the boat did not show this detail.
Thanks for the manual online !!

Now I just need to find a replacement crankshaft pulley with serpentine belt grooves instead of the standard V-belt groove.

I will post pictures of the project for other owners wishing to upgrade.
I am also going to replace the fresh water pump as a preventative measure since the current one was installed in 1990 when the engine was new.

Tyler
S/V Dorado
Pearson 390 hull number 37
Old 01-24-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
My guess you're adding a Balmar alternator? As you're replacing the pulleys for the serpentine kit, you'll only need the "V" for the raw water pump. Remove all the bolts and apply some heat. Use a damp cold water rag to quench the pulley and repeat. Tap it as it cools down with a small ball peen hammer. Add more heat and use the puller to remove.
Old 01-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Do you need to change over to a serpentine system - big expense, tensioner is another potential problem to stop the engine far from home etc. . How about just changing to a quality cogged belt? They transmit a lot more power and run on v-belt pulleys. Made a BIG difference to my table saw.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-24-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
according to various sources, the 4.154 shouldn't have more than a 100 amp alternator. Too much loading on the bearings. You don't need a bigger belt for 100 amps. Run your idea past the perkins experts, TransAtlantic Diesel. they may have some good advice and/or parts you might need.
Old 01-25-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
according to various sources, the 4.154 shouldn't have more than a 100 amp alternator. Too much loading on the bearings. You don't need a bigger belt for 100 amps. Run your idea past the perkins experts, TransAtlantic Diesel. they may have some good advice and/or parts you might need.
I don't know what sources xort is commenting upon; our 154 runs just fine with a 200 amp Balmar twin post and has done so so 5 years. Now that's a documented source. There are many Perkins experts and TAD sell the pulley kit for the 154 as well. The 154 is twice the engine as the 108-7 and almost 4 X better than many replacements as the 154 is a CD rated engine @3000 RPM. The Cummins and the Yanmar are ID engines rated 40% lower than the 154 which TAD recommends against installing a big case alternator. This is one of the main reasons I'm not choosing a Cummins for a choice as a repower. Make sure the belt is adjusted correctly as not to load up the FW pump too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB
Do you need to change over to a serpentine system - big expense, tensioner is another potential problem to stop the engine far from home etc. . How about just changing to a quality cogged belt? They transmit a lot more power and run on v-belt pulleys. Made a BIG difference to my table saw.
There is NO tensioner with the 154 serpentine belt, only an idler pulley. And yes it is a requirement as big cased alternators require a lot of umph to turn; without the serpentine, they'll just squeal like a pig. My thoughts are that you don't own a 62 HP table saw.

Last edited by sea_hunter; 01-25-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
https://store.electromaax.com/index....tegory&path=38

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Not sure if this helps. We installed an electromax with smart regulator. They have pully kits for all enghines on their site. Was recopmmended by Mainsail over Balmar.

https://store.electromaax.com/index....tegory&path=38

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
There is NO tensioner with the 154 serpentine belt, only an idler pulley. And yes it is a requirement as big cased alternators require a lot of umph to turn; without the serpentine, they'll just squeal like a pig. My thoughts are that you don't own a 62 HP table saw.
Indeed I don't (it IS a brute though). I've never seen a serpentine system without a powerful spring loaded tensioner - the one on my wife's minivan requires a breaker bar to unload the tension. How is tension maintained on the belt on the system you describe?
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Tags
alternator , belt , perkins , pulley