Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
We cruised with our dog (english staffordshire bull terrier, a small pitbull) and he loved the boat. He would jump from the dinghy up on to the sailboat (5ft) and down. At anchor he would jump in the dinghy when he had to go, and he would pee on deck while boating. We have a new bigger boat now and are heading out for a lengthy cruise soon. I'm sure Dexter will be just fine once he figures out he's allowed to **** on the boat deck, and the deck is teak so he can help keep it watered.

Dogs are great for pre-cleaning dishes, no clogged drain pipes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2012

Mirari is on a distinguished road
I've had several dogs on my boat. My beloved yellow lab was a natural on the boat. She learned it was perfectly acceptable to pee on the side decks and would go down below when the weather got snotty or when ordered to do so. She was able to jump up on deck from the dink and was always first in to the dink when a trip ashore was promised. Loosing her due to old age was painful. My current dog has half a season under her belt and is learning the ropes. She is a mutt, part black lab and part Flat Coat retriever. Generally Retrievers seem to make good boat dogs. The are generally strong swimmers so if they go over they have a good chance of survival. It helps if they are on the smaller side to drag them back aboard. In general Lots of other breeds make great boat dogs. It really just depends on the individual dog, not so much the breed.
Old 01-23-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
It also has to do with your tolerance for dog fur as a condiment. A boat is a small space and dogs with fur that blow coat like labs can generate a lot of extra hair. Dog lovers don't even notice of course. The food just don't taste right without it.
The hair dogs of course don't have that problem but the breed selection is more limited.
Some folks train their dogs to go on a piece of AstroTurf on the foredeck. Then just troll it in the wake of the boat to clean it.

As you can see you have to get a wheel boat if you want your dog to steer for you. Dogs prefer wheel, monkeys prefer tiller, or so I've heard.

Last edited by davidpm; 01-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2012
Junior Passage Maker

mikefossl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Life jacket, short leash, or free range...?
All three depending on the weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road
The wife and I are the only animals on our boat.
Old 01-24-2012

Armchairsailor2 is on a distinguished road
Make sure you get one with legs that are long enough for them to get back on board - we once found our daschund hanging off the side deck by his elbows!
Old 01-24-2012

ewoden is on a distinguished road
Chester the wonderdog, half English spaniel and half lab. He's 40 pounds. He's a velcro dog. He loves to sail, but absolutely hates to motor, hey I have a YSM8 single so I hate it too :-). My boat is a center cockpit with a steep ladder companionway, so navigating dog from below to topsides gets a little tiresome. and yes when things get to popping in the cockpit, he can get in the way (velcro dog ya see).

Still, on a light heel and fair wind, having him up top is a real treat. I think having a dog along changes the way you look at the world. I think, in general, smaller is simpler with dogs and boats. If Chester was 30 or less pounds he'd be no problem at all. But I'dnever trade him in, we are pals for life.
Old 01-24-2012

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road
If you want to, you can sail with any dog. We spent the summer on Hobie Cats with an Icelandic Sheepdog less than a year old. He was much happier on the slower Getaway, especially after he figured out he could pee on the front trampoline. I knew I wanted him to do his business on a boat eventually so I worked on getting him to pee on command since we got him.

He's less enthusiastic about the Tiger when it really gets moving. It's not really a problem until he tries to climb into my lap while I'm out on the trapeze. He's definitely a velcro dog so only one of us is allowed out on the trapeze at a time now. We tried tethering him but he got the tether wrapped around everything.

He's about 30lbs now which isn't too much to lift and I've seen him jump up & down rocks over 6' tall. It took the whole summer to convince him to like swimming but he's always liked wading or lying in shallow water.

Teaching him "ready about" so he gets out of the way when we're tacking made it so we're not tripping over him at the busy times (he would cross most of the way to the other side, then wait to be told who he could sit with). We're in the process of acquiring a 38' monohull so we'll see how his beach cat experience transfer to larger craft. I think one of the biggest issues is going to be keeping him in the dinghy close to shore now that he likes to swim.
Old 01-24-2012

wretchedsailor is on a distinguished road
Mostly coastal cruising and gunkholing. I've got kids as well so we keep the sail time down to minimize familial strife.
Old 01-24-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretchedsailor View Post
I will soon be searching for a new family dog. Anybody out there with any thoughts on what kind of dog would make a good sailing buddy? We've got a Pearson 303 and sail on the coast of Maine.
We also sail the coast of Maine and have a smaller lab mix. He is about 60lbs. He is a live-aboard dog and loves being out on the water. Especially when we visit islands. We got him through Almost Home pet rescue who brought him to Maine from Arkansas. Here he is on our previous boat enjoying some fast sailing.

davidpm likes this.

-----------------------------------------------------