Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012

Kielanders is on a distinguished road
30' Steel Ganley Snowbird

I primarily been considering a Westsail or Dreadnought. I've also taken a look at a couple options in wood. This Ganley showed on my radar from a search, and I've been doing some research on it as well.

Here's the link:

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis..._id=15664&url=

The broker has sent me some detailed photos of some corrosion problems in the engine compartment, battery bay, and fuel tank surface.

I've talked with the builder of the boat at length, and based upon information from that and the photos, mitigating the affected areas should be manageable. An ultrasound with the survey would be the final answer.

I did a comparison of the WestSail, Dreadnought, and Snowbird, and was generally pleased with the results from the SailCalculatorPro website

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats

At 34.97, the motion comfort factor seemed slightly low.

I posted some questions on a Ganley subthread, but wanted to open it up to opinions from the rest of you and anything that comes to mind.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Few here will have experience with steel boats. She looks good, the price seems good. Get a surveyor with experience in steel. My own experience with steel boats and ships in the USCG was twenty five years ago. With good coatings and attention they will last forever. Steel is hard to walk or sit on, and transmits heat (or cold) easily. Search the net for owner reviews. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Few here will have experience with steel boats. She looks good, the price seems good. Get a surveyor with experience in steel. My own experience with steel boats and ships in the USCG was twenty five years ago. With good coatings and attention they will last forever. Steel is hard to walk or sit on, and transmits heat (or cold) easily. Search the net for owner reviews. Good luck.
Thanks.

Another thread gave me a lead on contacting the builder, which I did. He is not the present owner, so had no skin in the game. His background was in marine welding, he's built 12 boats.

The theory on the corrosion was a fitting on the raw water system failed, and allowed moisture to accumulate in the engine compartment - and then wasn't promptly attended to.

The builder says that the interior/exterior hull was zinced, bar rust, and epoxied. The interior was injected with closed cell foam between the hull and cabin, both for insulation and condensation prevention.

I was wondering about about traction on deck. I assume traction stickers on deck would work well.

Last edited by Kielanders; 01-25-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Paint the deck, then sprinkle beach sand on it with a salt shaker, then give it anther coat of paint.
Sounds like a great deal.
Old 01-26-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I agree with Brent (who designs and build steel boats, I believe). Any nonskid paint sytem will be fine. I like Interlux nonskid compound. The zinc and epoxy sounds right.
Old 01-26-2012

I've edited my question here, as my original was more of a general boat/rigging theory inquiry.

Concerning this boat, its MCF is 34.97, the MCF on the WetSnail we're looking at is 43.61.

I'm assuming this means the Ganley has shorter, choppier roll characteristics; opposed to the long slow roll of the W32?

Does MCF have correction factors that take into account hull shape, material, ballest, etc - in order to essentially compare apples and oranges, or is it just a gross measure of dimensions/weight distribution?

Last edited by Kielanders; 01-26-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Double enders are far more prone to hobby horsing than boats with transoms.
Old 01-26-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
The real question should be "How does she sail'? In a previous post you mentioned that extra steel was used in the construction. So is it gonna be a dog out in less then 15 knots?
Get it out for a test sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 01-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
The real question should be "How does she sail'? In a previous post you mentioned that extra steel was used in the construction. So is it gonna be a dog out in less then 15 knots?
Get it out for a test sail.
Test sail? No question.

A dog I can live with, I like dogs, even a slow dog.

Maintainable?

Forgiving?

Tough enough to get slapped around by bad stuff, bump into stuff, hold together, then get up and slap back?

...that'd be the girl for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by Kielanders; 01-26-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
I think that dog won't hunt and maybe will bite you in the ass. Since it's been in the pound (on the market) for awhile maybe she's just the runt of the litter or a real bitch. Maybe not house trained either as she has pissed all over herself(engine rooms leaks). If your afraid of running into something maybe a seeing eye dog would be better? A nice dog will just beg the attention of your chip hammer, grinder and magical potions of epoxy, red lead and other noxious coatings, instead of slapping back. Since there are so many top dogs up in your neck of the woods, why not gather up the pack for your testsail? Sounds like a good day out for the old dogs. Enjoy your sail. Let the rest of us hounds know how it works out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.