SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   29 Gulf Island Sloop (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/83065-29-gulf-island-sloop.html)

Qualicum 01-24-2012 06:51 PM

29 Gulf Island Sloop

Hello,
I am a new member to SailNet. I am currently involved in the purchase of a 1966 Gulf Island 29 sloop. I have been a sailboater for over 30 years but 2 years ago fell off the wagon and sold my Alberg 30 for a Bayliner 32 Explorer powerboat. The idea was to have a bit more room and comfort while boating in the Pacific Northwest. The room and comfort certainly worked out, especially in early spring during sometimes miserable conditions. But..... I missed my Alberg terribly and became discontented with power. One day a couple of months back while strolling a dock looking at sailboats, I came across a delightful Gulf Island 29 named WRINKLES. Very similar to the Alberg 30 in appearance, sometimes gets mistaken for a Pearson. A tad narrower than the Alberg but built just as tough with identical hull lines. I sailed my Alberg from Vancouver Island to Hawaii and back and have seen a brief reference to a Gulf Island 29 making the same journey. It was a SailNet post but a very old one. I have searched elsewhere for information about the Gulf Island 29 but have found hardly any reference to them. I know that they were a Derek Cove design and that they were built in Vancouver at Chine Boat yards at least between 1966 and 1974 but I do not have any other information. If anyone can help with further information on this fine old make and model of boat I would be much obliged.

Faster 01-24-2012 07:22 PM

I've seen a few of these around... they are indeed similar to the A30 - the easiest way to distinguish them at a distance is the number of ports in the house forward (the Alberg has two, the GI 29 only one)

Bill Wolferstan, well known for his seminal cruising guides (published by PY back in the 80s) used one for his explorations as he put his books together.

Beyond that I can't help you much, I expect that she will behave very similarly to what you're used to.. and will certainly sail better than your B32!!;)

Qualicum 01-24-2012 07:32 PM

Thank you for that, it's a start!

SloopJonB 01-24-2012 10:52 PM

Since you're looking around here, you might want to check out the Pacific 30 as well. Very similar size, looks etc. but more of a fin keel - an early style one with soft garboards (large garboard radius??) and fairly long. Internal ballast I believe. They were designed by Ray Richards. They were built on the Island as well. I've seen a few and they are nice looking boats with what looks like good build quality.

Qualicum 01-25-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks for your message but the Gulf Island 29 is a done deal. I take delivery of Wrinkles on March 1st.

dacap06 01-25-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qualicum (Post 821083)
Thanks for your message but the Gulf Island 29 is a done deal. I take delivery of Wrinkles on March 1st.

Well, then, congrats on your purchase! I hope you have a great time sailing her. Good luck with your search for further information on Gulf 29s.

Tom

neverknow 01-26-2012 12:33 AM

My BUC Used boat price guide does not list it at all. Kind of curios given it has every boat ever made in it?????

My Mauch's sailboat guides don't have it either.

Are you sure of the info?

is this the boat?

1975 Custom Gulf Island 29 - Boats.com

http://images.boats.com/resize/1/66/...=1303858469000

neverknow 01-26-2012 12:34 AM

If it is/was custom built my guides will not show it.

Qualicum 01-26-2012 12:12 PM

The boat you show is identical to mine except for the hard dodger. The mystery thickens!

When I say identical, I mean on the outside, not at all on the interior.

neverknow 01-26-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qualicum (Post 821594)
The boat you show is identical to mine except for the hard dodger. The mystery thickens!

When I say identical, I mean on the outside, not at all on the interior.

From what I see in the guides those are custom built by owners, not production by a company?