Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012

Nastybeets is on a distinguished road
Need help identify this boat

Hello, I need some help identify this boat. It is about 26-28ft and i believe it to be an Irwin. I am interesting in getting this boat, but would like to know for sure if it is an Irwin or not. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Need help identify this boat-img_20120127_172423.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Ranger 26 ... pretty much for sure. Mid 70's

Better go buy a pressure washer!! Also.. she looks like she's been fairly deeply flooded at some point and may not be worth the effort.. is it free??
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-28-2012

yes it is free, i know someone who owns a marina who just wants it gone. It has been sitting for a long time and filled up with rain water. I pumped out a lot of water for the first time today. I know it need a lot of work but that is some work i don't mind doing. So what do you think? Irwin or no?
Old 01-28-2012

Oh i didnt see where you said ranger, good call looks like it! what do you think of the rangers?
Old 01-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Ranger 26 is a great little boat, in good shape and well sailed is a real PHRF sleeper (meaning she'll be a threat in fleet races) No bad habits.

My concern here is that it looks like she's been low in the water forward so there may be substantial damage to the bulkheads and other woodwork esp forward as she appears to have been considerably down by the bow. You could be looking at wholesale replacement of much of that - not a small task but as a structural part of the boat it has to be done properly.

As has been said many times here .... sometimes the most expensive boat is the free one.... But good luck anyway. She's got good bones.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-28-2012

damage to the bulkhead was my main concern also. i appreciate the insight and ill let you know how it comes along. thanks again
Old 01-28-2012

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Welcome and good luck.marc
Old 01-28-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Free is good, but ONLY if you have some place close to home to keep it that is also free. Also replacing parts at retail prices compared to what you pay when buying a new boat and it surprisingly expensive.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 01-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Judging by the way the pulpit has tried to make a run for it, I think you're gonna have some deck core issues to deal with. Not difficult work, but time consuming and itchy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2012

I went down to look at the boat again today and ended up talking to someone that has been around the marina for a long time. The boat has been at a non floating dock so when the water level came up too much the front of the boat got caught underneath the dock, which is what made the front "run away". I bailed all the water out of the cabin (which is hopefully just rain water) but am still worried about water being in places that i could not see. Hopefully in the next few days i can get it pulled out of the water to see what i am really dealing with here. Any suggestion as to what i should do? any specific things that i should check on?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.