Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Will a 6hp outboard drive my 4000 lb boat?

My Quickstep weighs 4000 pounds. It's always had an 8 hp outboard. I'm wondering if a 6 is enough because I'd like to be able to reduce the weight in the stern and on my arms when it comes time to take it off. I've never been able to get the 8hp up to full throttle, so that has men wondering if less HP would be OK. Also, if I can get by with 6HP, do I need to have any concern that the 6's only have a single cylinder?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Depends on what you expect the motor to do. Are tides or currents a factor? Heading into a stiff wind or chop? Does your bottom stay clean?

If none of those are a factor, then a 6 should do. If they are a factor, you might, probably, will miss the extra umph from the 8.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2012

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Good points. Yes, I would want to be able to power into a chop or headwind.
Do you think a 6hp wouldn't be up to the task?
Old 01-28-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
for a short time i used a 6hp on my py26,7000 plus lbs,the 6 did ok until i had to go against a strong current or head wind,i would think the 6 might be ok for your 4000 lb boat depending on the current ,wind factor,i don't see any problem with the single cylinder.btw i replaced the 6 with a 9.9 and cut the fuel consumtion in half,i suppose because the bigger engine had to work less hard
chrisncate likes this.
Old 01-28-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
In most conditions a 6 hp should do what you need.. but relatively speaking you might slow a bit in a stiff headwind vs the 8 horse.

Sawingknots.. did you go 2 stroke to 2 stroke or 2 stroke to 4? That's an interesting observation.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-28-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
I'm replacing my motor next month. I currently have a little Yamaha 5HP, 99 model. Normally, I only use my motor to get in/out of the marina. Soon as I clear the channel I'm under sail. I also use it to anchor or hunt a ball to tie up. It's been perfectly fine for my C25, although it is a bit underpowered and only hits 4.5 kts under full throttle. I sail on a lake so current and chop are not a factor.

I was considering a 9.9 as it's the most common motor folks with my boat move to, but I'm looking at $2500 at least with motor and new mount.

I decided to step back a little. I'm going to buy the new 2012 C model Tohatsu SaiPro. It's a little 6HP, 25" shaft, longer tiller, shifter moved to front of motor, and an alternator to charge the house. No new motor mount needed. Comes with high thrust propeller.

I think this little motor will work just perfect for me and what I need. The extra 1HP and deeper bite with high thrust propeller should motor me around 4 kts at 3/4 throttle or maybe less. Plus, I'm saving about $1k in cost, with no new mount needed.

Tohatsu SailPro

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 01-28-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
No tide, no wind, no chop, no traffic sure. Where I come from we'd put a 15-25 to do the job.
Old 01-28-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
In most conditions a 6 hp should do what you need.. but relatively speaking you might slow a bit in a stiff headwind vs the 8 horse.

Sawingknots.. did you go 2 stroke to 2 stroke or 2 stroke to 4? That's an interesting observation.
i went to a 9.9 2 stroke,it was a desperation buy, i was far from anywhere and it was the only one available,i've since installed a inboard diesel and only use the outboard as a backup
Old 01-28-2012
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
big ear prop

I think you should be ok with a 6 hp. I had a 6 on my 2200lb ranger 22 and it was way more power than I needed. however it's not like you are going to get it going any faster than hull speed.

Currently I've got a 7hp inboard on my CAL 27 that weighs about 6k pounds when fully loaded. I have powered into 30kt headwinds towing a dinghy with no problem to make 5kts.

They do make 25" shafts and that really helps keep the prop in when you are going against chop. I had a 6hp Nissan 1 cylinder 25" shaft that I paid about 1500 bucks brand new, and also charged the batteries.

They also make a elephant ear prop that is more appropriate for sailboats because you are only going 5-7kts anyway. The props these things come with are more setup for planing a small dinghy or skiff at higher speeds around 10kts.
Old 01-28-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I have a 6hp Tohatsu on a 3,000 lb boat. At slack current on the Delaware less than 1/2 throttle will move the boat at 5+ knots, but against the current it will be 1 1/2 to 2 knots.

Add chop to current and if not enough breeze for sailing, I just have to wait for the current to change.

Select your outboard for local conditions or your tolerance for waiting.