Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Dave, I think you're exactly right - but what if 50 boaters are assembled in a harbor, such as the SSCA gam at Rhode River, instead of 800 boaters blocking the Magothy? By this regulation, the SSCA gathering would also need a permit, yet there's no a priori reason to assume that they would block your freedom of movement or safety. (The actual text is "marine gathering" and doesn't say the boats must be tied together, as I read it.) So, is the problem that the proposed law is too vague or general, or that it is a bad idea to make a law about this altogether?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
As long as the SSCA did not violate the rules established by the citizens there is no need to make another restrictive rule. However the raft up we are talking about in past years as not only been a nusence, deposited a lot of trash in the water it has created an atmosphere of excessive drinking and noise. This can be addressed with our current laws/. They have in years passed blocked the waterway also
davidpm likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 01-30-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
According to the article the Bumper Bash representative realized that it had gotten out of hand anyway.

I didn't catch if there was a fee to obtain a permit. If there is not, perhaps it really is just a way for local LE to make sure they have the resources available during the event. I don't see why notifying them 60 days in advance should cause a hardship, especially since some of these events occur at the same time each year.

I'm not sure that I see this proposal as unreasonable based on the information in the article.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 01-30-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Donna, I think you need insurance to gather! The way the rule is written in its current form, I fear it would block the insanity on the Magothy (which is a good thing) but would also impact calmer and sparser gatherings like the SSCA gam. That's what concerns me.

I'm liking Dave's and Squidd's points.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-30-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Good luck enforcing it.

See the cops coming, quickly untie a few boats to the legal limit, whatever that is.

Cops leave, tie back up.

Pretty simple.
erps likes this.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 01-30-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Yea, great Idea. More laws,more regulations,more intrusion and restrictions,more more more goverment.
Give up a bit more of your freedoms like a slow leak until it's all under water and you find yourself standing there asking "what happened to my freedom?" the answer will be - "you gave it away"
Roudiness,trash,safety issues,drunkenness,blocking waterways , all things already addressed by current laws. No need for more reasons to be "approached" for your own "safety" and the "safety of the public".
Oh, and if you think the permit is "free" your really disallusional.
But hey, don't listen to me just keep giving all your freedom away a little at a time and that way you'l never notice it, and your children won't either as they grow up, because we taught them it was for ther "safety" and the the freedom they'll never enjoy.

"Grampa,grampa, tell us about the old days when you had freedom"
"those were the days, all gone now kids, we just gave em' all away"
Old 01-30-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
In all the years I have been boating, I have never seen any behavior from any rafted group that warrants a new law. We have way too many laws already. How dare those folks rafted up have any fun! Just one more example of heavy-handed government in the land of NO. Chip....chip....chip....
Old 01-30-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Gatherings like the SSCA gam fall under "the law of unintended consequences".

It sounds like law enforcement has been willing to work with everybody up until now.

Look at it this way. I want to hold a free concert in the park and I expect 1,600 people to show up and BYOB. There will be drinking in the summer sun. The locals will be expected to provide EMS and police support. There will be fights. People will be affected by the heat. It's not unreasonable for them to want some notice so they can schedule extra folks to cover the event. it's no different for an event on the water.

Freedom of assembly means freedom to assemble for purposes of protest (at least to me).

A sensible approach might be to involve BoatUS and local Chesapeake Bay organizations to amend the minimum number of boats that trigger the permit requirement so events not requiring that kind of official oversight arenít affected.

After all, Iím guessing the Seven Seas Cruising Association is probably mellower than a bunch of drunken 20 somethings

Jim

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-30-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Freedom of assembly means freedom to assemble for purposes of protest (at least to me).
what, no weddings? no funerals? no extended family get togethers? No political parties? I appreciate your opinion, but I'd rather not have the government in a position to decide whether the reason I want to assemble is one of the government approved reasons.

I agree that large assemblies can infringe on the rights of others and there needs to be a mechanism to address it. I personally think we have enough laws on the books already like public nuisance laws.
jrd22 and Shipislandpirate like this.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 01-30-2012
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Quote:

A sensible approach might be to involve BoatUS and local Chesapeake Bay organizations to amend the minimum number of boats that trigger the permit requirement so events not requiring that kind of official oversight aren’t affected.

After all, I’m guessing the Seven Seas Cruising Association is probably mellower than a bunch of drunken 20 somethings
Rationalize it in whatever manner and whatever "make believe" scenario you need to to justify the obvious continued march to total goverment control of every aspect of every minute of your life.
Loosing your personel freedoms is similiar to me knocking on your door and when you open it to see who it is I stick my foot in the door and then my hand, then my leg and before long I'm sitting at your dinner table telling you what to make me for dinner .
these seemingly inocuous intrusions justified by far flung "what if's" and "for examplles" are just the way to fool and convince foolish people that it's for your own good.
How is it that we survived all these years without these laws? HOW?
how is it that we are not all dead for not wearing seatbelts,helmits,insurance safety shears,knee pads,air bags,safety goggles,child seats,anti lok brakes,etc.etc.etc.
I'm not against safety,I'm just FOR freedom. feel free to use whatever gives you the greatest false sense of security you feel you need to substitute for common sense and due diligence.
Oh, and don't forget if the safety device doesn't save you from your own ignorance you can always litigate, using the same attorny you used to impliment the laws that forced you to use the safety devises that fail to make you idiot proof.
smurphny likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.