Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012

wgkenney is on a distinguished road
Experience with Standard Horizon

Hi all,

I am looking to add AIS capablities to my 2006 Beneteau 473. I have an older Raymarine system (RL 70 C RC plotter) so I don't think I can integrate AIS directly to the chart plotter. I was looking at adding an ICOM AIS system to my current ICOM set up and then sending the signal to may IPAD. But that system requires an additional VHF antenna (or splitter) and a GPS reciever (supplied with the system)

I ran across the Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF/AIS product with the Remote RAM3 for the cockpit. For less than the cost of the ICOM AIS it would give me both AIS/VHF in one unit and no need for extra antennas.

I've always had ICOM products so have no experience with Standard Horizon or this particular product. Any feedback on them would be great.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I have an old Standard Horizon West Marine branded depth/knot meter that is long out of production. The face was crazing and the depth readout was cutting in and out. After contacting them, they quoted me a price that I felt was reasonable and promised to have it back to me by a date certain. They met their quote and their delivery date. The display has worked just fine since.

Though I can't comment on their more complicated products, if they match their level of customer service, they should be pretty good.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
We have the SH Matrix 2100 VHF/AIS, the earlier generation. It has worked just fine on our boat, sailing the Pacific Northwest, down the west coast and across the pacific.

Old 02-01-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

I am a big fan of Standard Horizon radios. The products work well and the customer service is great too.

I have the GX2100 (mostly the same as the 2150) and it works great. I send the AIS info to a lap to running SeaClear and I get all the AIS information there. I have the remote mic at the helm and I can get the more important AIS info there.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

Old 02-01-2012

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
While not comparable to more modern equipment I kept the old Standard Horizon VHF on board for redundancy.... thing is probably 30 years old and works like a charm... just speaking to my experience with their reliablity...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 02-01-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Standard Horizon is every bit as good as ICOM and perhaps better. I used to be an ICOM only guy, but I've changed my mind for 2 reasons.

1. personal experience. Their radios rock. Awesome, crystal clear, and I often get transmissions on my VHF from the Canadian coast guard while in Seattle. They're also easy to use and just bomb-proof. The only reason I allowed a non-ICOM radio to be installed on my boat is because of reason 2. I wasn't disappointed that I did it either.

2. The other reason is that there are only 3 makers of ham radios in the world and among the ham enthusiasts ICOM and Yaesu are the two big players with Kenwood a distant second. Many hams like ICOM, but just as many say Yaesu builds a better radio. Standard Horizon is the marine marketing name for Yaesu radios. If Standard Horizon (Yaesu) contends for first place among ham radio geeks who solder their own boards, it's good enough for me.

MedSailor
Old 02-02-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Radio built like a brick. Customer service incredibly generous and helpful.

They're on my short list of folks you really want to deal with.
Old 02-02-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgkenney View Post
I have an older Raymarine system (RL 70 C RC plotter)
In order to keep within my budget I am looking at these systems used and I see there are a lot of them out there. How do you like it?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2012

wgkenney is on a distinguished road
I really like mine. It has enough bells and whistles for me and has worked rock solid. My 7" display is plenty big and it ties in all my instruments.

This is why I'm not ready to upgrade yet.

I don't have AIS, weather capabilities and some of the more modern features But I am finding ways to work around that for our sailing in the Chesapeake Bay. At some point 4 or 5 years from now when we start to look at doing some coastal cruising I'll look at if it is worth an upgrade then.
Old 02-02-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I guess I'm odd man out. I installed a SH VHF 1500?(new cable, antenna, etc) and bought the RAM mic for the cockpit, this was about three or four years ago. First the RAM died within a year of installation, and very shortly after the VHF also died (this is in the pilothouse not exposed to weather). Both were under warranty and were promptly replaced (great customer service). The replacement RAM died within a year but the VHF is still working. I got the RAM replaced again under warranty and the tech I talked to said they had come out with a "new" model RAM because they had had "problems" with the old model. I bought one of the new model RAMs so I would have a backup because that is what I use most from the cockpit. So far (two years) they are all still working, but having had ICOM in several other boats without a single problem I'm still working on rebuilding confidence in SH before I will think about the AIS combo VHF.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse