SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Little Ericsons, big problems?

5K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  sharkbait 
#1 ·
Hello SailNet general! I'm new to the forum, and I'm looking into getting my first boat. I'm looking for something that would be relatively forgiving, and not too tricky to learn on. Speed can come later, right now I'd like to focus on doing it right. Additionally, I've been looking at boats with an eye to potentially living aboard during the summer. ( I work at marinas, I can get a mooring, and possibly even a slip, depending on how slow '12 looks to be, for almost nothing)

To that end, the Ericson 27 has caught my eye. Again, I'm not looking for speed, and a lot of reviews say the things are pretty bulletproof. However, it never hurts to ask, and so I ask SailNet, does anyone have any major problems with these things to report, or know someone who does? And yes, I do plan on asking the same question on the EY.org forums. I'm asking here because I'm selfish, and these forums move much faster. Thanks for any advice you can give, or maybe there are other, better classic plastic options out there for my needs.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I looked at the reviews. In fact, one of the reasons the E27 piqued my interest was the fact that it had so many positive reviews. I was just wondering if anyone had any specific complaints apart from the (apparent) problem of companionway hatch cover delamination, and the usual complaints one has with old boats.

#9 ·
In fact, one of the reasons the E27 piqued my interest was the fact that it had so many positive reviews.
Has there EVER been a bad review of a sailboat by the owner of said boat? :)

When I signed up for SN, I read through a LOT of those reviews and the one thing they ALL had in common was glowing reviews and a positive "would buy again".

Owner reviews are good for garnering model specific info, but for an overall opinion of "goodness" I want a third party involved.

#4 ·
I've always heard that Ericson's were pretty well made boats.
You might find that some of them have the Atomic 4 engine in them. That is not an issue to me as my older classic plastic Tartan 27' has one. A boat with an Atomic 4 should be cheaper then a comparable boat equipped with a diesel engine.
Beyond the usual stuff older boats come with (worn cutless or shaft, chain plates, soft spots, stinky holding tank etc, etc) I see no reason not to consider an Ericson 27'.
A 27 footer is about the smallest size I'd ever consider for living aboard.
You should look at as many E27's and other 27 footers as you can before pulling the trigger on anything.
Happy hunting.

#6 ·
I looked at an Erickson 27 several years ago in Baltimore Inner Harbor's City Dock Marina that was a derelict procured by Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Living Classroom's Foundation. It cannot recall which model it was, but I was really impressed by the amount of interior room. The headroom was at least 6'-4", the boat was beamy, wide open inside, but the cockpit was relatively large. Ironically, the boat was sold an hour before my arrival. It was powered with an Atomic-4, which looked and ran like the engine was brand new. It had a large sail inventory, roller furling, it needed some elbow grease to remove years of accumulated grime, but it was in pretty good condition considering its age. The boat sold for $2,000. A couple days later I purchased a 1968, 27 Catalina with an Atomic-4, 5 sails, in better shape, for the same amount of money.

You can find bargains like these all over the world, but you'll have to do some searching at the various marinas to find them. As for the Erickson, the guy that purchased it sails nearly every day of the season, even when the weather has been nasty and he says the boat handles very well, and it even does a decent job in light winds.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

#11 ·
Specs of an Ericson 27'
ERICSON 27 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Specs of my Tartan 27'
TARTAN 27 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Specs of a Catalina 27'
CATALINA 27 sailboat on sailboatdata.com

These three boats displace about the same amount of weight/water. The nearly full keel of the Tartan allows it to track nicely, even in some sloppy conditions but the full keel make it a bit slower to come about when compared to the other fin keel models with spade rudders.

The fin keel and spade rudders probably make them a bit more prone to "quick motions in a seaway" as reed1v mentions. I'm not an expert so it would be nice to hear from Jeff_H on this one.

SloopJonB is also correct that every boat owner finds some way to extol the virtues of their own model. I really like my old classic plastic Tartan 27' - proof enough. If I owned a Catalina or Hunter I'd probably feel the same way.

#12 ·
There are three E27's on my dock, they go now where. 2 of the E27's I have yet to see leave a slip in the 4 yrs I have been here. One does move once a year for 2-3 weeks....

That said. Ericsons have a good overall rep with folks that have them. Then again, So does Hunter! Ericson was on the upper end of quality from a basic style boat back in the day. Not as pricy as a Swan, but not as cheap as a Hunter.....

Marty

#17 ·
try out the ericsons' cockpits. i found them very uncomfortable. low back rests, too cramped to brace feet against opposite lockers, and shallow cockpits(great if your going through a hurricane, not so great otherwise). the ergonomics of the cockpit really is an area that can make or break the pleasure of sailing. only way to tell is to try them out to see what fits yourself.

#13 ·
Hah! blt2ski, I'm not sure I can imagine a greater range than Hunter to Swan!
Also, thanks a bunch for the links Caleb. I've actually looked at a couple of C25s and C27s, and they're not bad boats, but I'm going to explore all my options. I'm still trying to figure out what I like, and why I like it.

#14 ·
Reality is, in a mid 20-30' boat, there is not a lot a manufacture can do to boats to really make them standout per say, other than floor plan, and inner cabin material. And for the most part, for models like you are looking at, back in the day, there was more true wood inside than todays boats with faux wood per say. Even my 85 jeanneau has real wood, well, even todays do, but a wood fiber teak to look like real wood over plywood. I do have a lot of teak plywood too.

Depending upon price, look at some of the older Jeanneau and Beneteaus. Islander, San Juan, C&C, to name a few more that have mid 20-30' boats that might work.

marty

#18 ·
I'm also looking at an upper 20's boat. Sabre is at the top of my list, followed by Erickson and Catalina. I did some calculations based on LOA, LWL, Beam, Ballast, Displacement, and etc., and I feel most comfortable with the Sabre. this is also do to what I've heard about build quality. Of course, if it's not been maintained in years, it's likely a dog - pure and simple. since I'm new at this, does it sound like I'm on track?

#19 ·
yes, sabres are way above the other two in quality and seaworthiness. imho ericsons should not be allowed on the open ocean. ok for lakes and bays. butler's catalinas have proven themselves worldwide but tender boats. sabres have proven themselves in hurricanes, extreme climates, etc. think you will find sabre relatively easy to bring back to bristol condition. doubt if you will find even an abused one that has structural problems. now about those decks that pop free of the hulls in the other brand....

#21 ·
not sure what record your referring to. folks have sailed cal 20s, an oday daysailor, and other assorted flotsam to hawaii and calif from japan. heck, you could float a log that distance(btw someone did "sail" a log from washington state to hawaii way back in the 70s.) i even sailed a yamaha 33 from japan to hawaii years ago. still, imho ericson boats are not as good as sabre boats. btw: i would not own either one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.