CORK? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-22-2003 Thread Starter

CORK?

hello everyone,

we have a motorsailer which needs fixing. We are thinking of applying cork on the walls..does anyone have experience with this? Can we do this alone? Are there any tips?

thank you!
seawindgr
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-22-2003

CORK?

Cork is very moisture sensitive. Ashore, you store cork within it''s intended location, allowing it to "climatize", prior to application.
If cork absorbes moisture (humidity) after installation, it swells up and bubbles out.
Does not sound like a good boat application.
Gord
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2003

CORK?

Gordon hit the nail on the head. Also Cork supports mildew and other mold forms such as rot spores that can attack the wooden bulkeads it is attached to. Bad idea.

Jeff
post #4 of 6 Old 10-23-2003

CORK?

I have read the comments re cork insulation by Gord and Jeff and I value their opions very much. However, we have 8 years of experience with cork insulation on the inside surface of the solid fiberglass topsides and are very satisfied. It hasn''t been a mold or mildew problem in any way.
The incentive was to control the condensation, which even with the hatch open was enough to soak the bedding on a cold winter night. The installation was straight forward if a bit tedious.
The surfaces were cleaned and then a first layer of 12x12x3/8 inch cork tiles were cemented in place with linoleum paste. Next, 3/16 inch cork sheeting was applied with the same adhesive. The surface was then painted with a good enamel for easy cleaning.
The lack of condensation has made a world of difference and the dry surfaces are less apt to mildew. Furthermore, the boat is now also warmer and quieter. The only downer has been a half dozen minor cracks in the cork surface in the 90 or so square feet of treatment.
Regards, George
post #5 of 6 Old 10-24-2003

CORK?

It''s interesting to note Geoge''s good experience /w cork; which I cannot explain.
In George''s painted surface installation, I expect that the cork is acting as insulation, and the paint (might be) acting as a vapour barrier.
Notwithstanding George''s satisfaction (8 years should be a good test), I still cannot recommend cork on a boat.
JEFF_H could offer a better description on insulation & vapour-barrier design; perhaps offering a better alternative? What are the characteristics of cork (R-Value, Flame/Smoke, etc.)? I don''t imagine them to be particularily efficacious.
Regards,
Gord

post #6 of 6 Old 10-24-2003

CORK?

Actually cork is a very good insulator. It was the original material used to insulate ice boxes and coolers. I had a boat that was built in the late 1930''s and the ice box was insulated with cork. It worked well except that it supported mildew and eventually held sufficient moisture to rot out the bulkead it was attached to, which is how we found out that the icebox was cork insulated in the first place. I would be concerned about the cork holding moisture against the hull and helping to promote blisters.

Cork does have a lot of wonderful properties, but at least in my experience it is pretty unstable with regards to moisture changes and hard to bond. That said, I am impressed that it lasted 8 years in the application described above.

Jeff

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.