Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DRFerron
  • 1 Post By jimmalkin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Wandering Up the East Coast - thoughts?

G'day All - Having sold my wonderful 50' Taronga (unfortunately to a couple of jerks who nearly sank her within 2 1/2 hours of leaving Annapolis - I can tell this story if anyone's interested in being heartsick,) I've "downsized" to a 28' sloop now in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm going to single hand her up to Martha's Vineyard starting in early April. I expect to wander my way along the coast, rather than riding the Gulf Stream escalator, as I've now got the time and the interest to see the seaports of the coast along the way. I intend to spend a month and 1/2 (weather gawds permitting) and to make this a "lifetime memory."

Over the years I've pretty much covered the coast from downeast Maine to Annapolis, but other than Moorhead City and the ICW 40 years ago, I haven't been along the coast south of Annapolis. I'd appreciate any thoughts folks might have as to interesting places to check out on my wander north with the Spring weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmalkin View Post
...I haven't been along the coast south of Annapolis. I'd appreciate any thoughts folks might have...
Annapolis has moved inland since your last visit and is now located on the Chesapeake Bay...
Old 02-04-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Hi Jim,

I'm mostly an offshore guy so the places I've been are those I've ducked into to fix something. That said, I've greatly enjoyed Beaufort NC and Charleston SC.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2012

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
a must see, Savannah Ga. worth a trip up the river

Never Forgotten

Old 02-04-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
This might not be the answer you're looking for but here's what I'd do if we were to take such a trip. First, I'll say that we have a weird knack for turning the most unlikely of trips into a memorable adventure (heck, we spent a fantastic weekend in Cleveland a few years ago and John still talks about his work trip to Lima, OH) and we like to walk around, see what's out there that you miss whizzing by in the car.

I'd first pinpoint the cities that I know I want to visit - then I'd throw darts for the rest, see what's there, perhaps find some undiscovered gem that the glossies missed. Perhaps not real darts as that would seriously mess up my monitor, but I'd look on Google Earth and find coastal towns with interesting names or that look less touristy. I'd then head over to Google and do some research on the towns I pick out and make sure they are accessible.

I'm not outgoing, but John can get a rock to tell him its life story like they'd know each other forever. He has that kind of personality. We always find someone, no matter where we are, who has a weird or fantastic story to tell. So yeah, I'd throw darts and visit the towns less traveled.
WanderingStar likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-04-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road
I second Charleston SC. A beautiful little city, with the friendliest people. It was beautiful seeing the American flag flying over Fort Sumter as we sailed past it.
Old 02-04-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
You could spend years enjoying just the small towns in the Carolinas and Tidewater Virginia ... VERY friendly and easy going people. The Albemarle, Pamlico Sounds and surrounding areas are 'little used' by cruisers and offer some very interesting off the beaten path sailing areas ... just watch out for the sometimes 'very' aggressive 'cottonmouths' and 'floating reptiles'.
Old 02-04-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Well, I for one would be interested in hearing the story of how someone nearly sinks a Passport 50 within a couple of hours of leaving Annapolis... (grin)

A couple of my favorites, just off the top of my head...

Cumberland Island, GA... (or any of the Georgia seacoast islands, for that matter)

Cape Lookout Bight, NC (try to avoid hitting it on a weekend, however)/Core Sound/Harkers Island/Beaufort area... some pretty interesting shoal water exploration to be had around there, if you're not afraid of going aground now and then...

Ocracoke/Portsmouth Island... If you have the weather, I'd recommend doing the Pamlico Sound route, as opposed to the ICW... The NC Sounds offer some of the most underrated cruising grounds on the East coast, IMHO... And, if you've never been there, the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kitty Hawk is well worth a visit...

Norfolk/Portsmouth offers a lot to see and do, museums etc... If you enjoy minor league baseball, catching a game in their stadium right near the harbor is a treat, and they do a terrific fireworks display whenever they win...

Onancock and Tangier Island if you're going up the Chesapeake, or Chincoteague if you're headed up outside...

Good luck, enjoy, have plenty of insect repellent and screens for most of the spots I've mentioned for later on in the spring...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-04-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Go on, tell us the story...
Old 02-04-2012

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
JamesWilson29 - glad to see that sardonic sarcasm hasn't disappeared from SN but, in the spirit of accuracy, I'd point out that although inland there is a coastline on the w'ern shore of the Chesapeake and then south of Norfolk. And, last I checked, the Chesapeake was salty water.

Thanks to all for the thoughts; very appreciated.

Jon/Rob - After 8 wonderful years of simplifying and rebuilding Taronga for winters in the Caribbean and trips to/from New England, of two Bermuda trips with the kids, of Augusts in mid-coast Maine, the Trouble and Strife (wife in Cockney rhyming slang) announced that she liked being sailed, not sailing. And I realized that the stresses of essentially single-handing Taronga was not relaxing for me, I took a last run with my son down to Annapolis and put her on the market.

Negotiated an offer from a pair of gentlemen and got the money wired to my account. After closing and while the yard was busy commissioning the boat for the new owners, these gentlemen asked a few questions of the broker: How do you tell if the blip on the radar is a ship, how do you turn on the refrigeration, how do you work the autopilot, how do you raise the leisure furling main sail? (really.) The broker suggested a shake down sail or a pro skipper to take them and the boat to Newport RI from Annapolis. They answered that they knew how to sail and were in a rush to get to Newport for a 4 July party and would leave at 0300 to make the CD canal current the next day.

The next day the broker was informed by the yard that at 0530, the USCG had been called on a cell phone to report that there was 6" of water over the cabin sole and the boat was sinking. The CG got pumps on board and towed her into the slings of a yard in MD. Apparently during commissioning, the Annapolis yard had replaced the shaft seal in such a manner that it came loose and allowed water into the boat.

Taronga had a lower electric bilge pump, an upper elec pump, a cockpit manual gusher and an additional below decks gusher whale for emergency at sea in storms. I have no facts why or how these weren't able to handle the situation. I have no facts why or how flashlights and tools couldn't have resolved the issue. I have no facts as to how electric bilge pumps can run and a sailor doesn't hear them. I have no facts as to how 6" of water can get over the cabin sole without a member of the 5 person crew noticing.

I do have lots of theories and opinions...

I was heartbroken for what had been my beautiful boat; my platform of dreams. I dreamt about it and was saddened and seriously agitated for at least several weeks.

And so it goes...
deniseO30 likes this.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven

Tags
east coast ports

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.