Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013

truewin is on a distinguished road
Re: Danica 16 owners Unite!

Sounds like you're having fun! Do you have a link to some pictures?

As you know, I really like double enders and found this Bob Perry blog quite interesting:

Sail Far Live Free - Sailboats, Sailing News, and Gear: Double Enders According to Perry (Guest Post by Bob Perry)

You mentioned you talked with Peter Hahn. I was wondering how he made the Danica. I assume he made a mold from a Nordica and altered it slightly. Do you know what he did with the Danica molds?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013

Yes, I'm considering a Nordica 16/20, Halman 20, and Skipper 20 - embarrassing, but I like the Guppy 13 too!
Old 08-18-2013

Windkiller is on a distinguished road

If you go to this wooden boat forum thread and scroll down to the 10th, 11th or 12th posting there's a picture:
George Holmes' Eel comes out of the shed at Iron Wharf, Faversham

If you send your email I'll send you a few more.
That was an interesting article. I think I've read something similar before. For me aesthetics are very important in a sailboat. Older traditional stylings are much more pleasing and double enders have a very lovely roundness to them.
I'm just selling a Nordica 20 right now. It's a very cool boat but not as cute as my Danica and it requires a bigger trailer and truck to tow it. Not currently in my budget. I might use some of the money from the sale to get a new mainsail for the Danica (or I'll get a sailrite kit and save a few hundred sewing it myself)

I heard tell Peter Hahn used a Nordica 16 as a mold. The Danicas keel is about 8 inches deeper as well as having a deeper forefoot, the combings are higher, as is the cabin and the cockpit is smaller because there's a lazarette.
Don't tell my Danica but I kind of think the Nordica 16s are a little cooler looking, a little more sleek and rakish whilst the Danica looks a little like a duck. i also like the old knockabout style boats and almost anything with a gaff rigg. I've thought of putting a bowsprit on the Danica and with a new mast making it a gaff rig...or a tiny yawl with a sailboard mast and a little boomkin. I keep thinking about it and then tink...why make more holes in the boat it does pretty well as is.
Old 08-19-2013

The Eel looks good. How does it sail?

About a mold . . . I would think he used a Nordica to make a mold that he then used to layup the glass for the Danica hulls. How did he use a Nordica hull as a mold? Did he pull apart a Nordica and layup the glass inside of the Nordica's pieces? Is a Danica thus a little smaller than a Nordica; smaller by the width of the Nordica's glass and gelcoat? Or am I not understanding something?

A bowsprit would look cool, but I would worry about maybe putting the center of effort too far forward and creating lee helm. I have a bowsprit on my boat and that's what it seemed to do, but a few weeks ago I was out in about 25 knots and managed to break off a metal bowsprit support when a gust yanked the jib pretty hard (also put a little rip in the mainsail). I couldn't reach the metal support's screws without tearing apart the inside of the boat and taking out the forward bulkhead, so I just put a stainless eye into the glass behind the sprit and stuck the forestay on it. Hope it works, and cures the leehelm. I've only been out in about 5 knots since and couldn't even tack very well, too slow, had to jibe sometimes.
Old 08-19-2013

I think you're right about the molds . regardless either boat is just under 14' on deck not including the rudder so the 16' thing is a slight exaggeration. On the Nordica 16 site (which includes us Danica owners) There's a set of pictures of a Danica being made.
THe Danica has some good weather helm (the Nordicas and Danicas are known for it)and if I did make a sprit it would be a short one. First I wanted a nice wooden sprit, Then I decided I wanted a retractable aluminum one with a furler jib(which would entail some interesting forestay adjusting??!!. Still haven't done it yet though. I have a furler unit from a Chrysler Mutineer I used to have. I used to use it, it's handy and tidy but you do get a fair amount of luff sag to leeward, Mostly I just use a downhaul to bring down the jib on the foredeck.
With the Danica (because of the full keel) tacking in light winds it helps to let the jib backwind as you cross the wind to help push the boat around and then uncleat it and pull it over to the new side.
Old 08-19-2013

I couldn't find any pictures of a Danica being made. Maybe I'm on the wrong site? Do you have a link to the picture page?

Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2013

I should've said the Nordica 16 yahoo site
I think you have to be a member to view it (easy to do, though it might take a day) Tonnes of photos or Nordicas and Danicas. It's about the third or 4th page of photos in,called 'Danica 16 and it shows several photos of a (get this!) 2 porthole Danica being built.They're old scanned photos. but still it's interesting.
Old 08-19-2013

Thanks - I found it - interesting - I want to do it - and add some lapstrake type lines like on a Flicka or Mariah - and make the keel a little deeper with some heavier lead ballast - and call it an Island Passage - and put on a bowsprit - and make it a cutter - and . . . must go to bed and stop dreaming.

Last edited by truewin; 08-19-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2014

Windkiller,

Do you know if your deck is cored or solid glass? It would seem that such a small deck would be glass. Have you had any reason to dig in and find out?

Thanks.