Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road
not to mention the thousands of birds that get killed by those things every year
Old 02-07-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Most of the folks in the fishing industry that think the wind farms are a good thing look at them as artificial reefs--not a great way to generate clean energy. There's a real good book by a fellow named Steve Millroy called Green Hell, a book that should be mandatory reading for everyone that sincerely believes he or she is an environmentalist.

Millroy puts much of this into a plain-language perspective that is easy to understand. Of course, you must have an open mind. Those with a mindset that Al Gore is the guru of ecology should probably not bother with this book.

If you don't want to shell out the cost of the book, but wish to read some well documented information online, go to Climate Depot . This is among the most informative sites on the subject I've ever come across with lots of documentation.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Cape Wind didn't have federal approval until 2010
Yep, that's correct. Start date for the project was 2001.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
The New Jersey fishing industry is part of a proposed wind farm off Atlantic City, so some folks in the fishing industry think it is a good idea;

South Jersey Energy Company Could Be First In Country To Generate Wind Power Off-Shore « CBS Philly
Structures out offshore near NJ would probably attract Menhaden (bunker) for the bunker boats in NJ. That's completely different from plopping these things in the paths of small, local draggers in Buzzards Bay and Nantucket Shoals. These fishermen are hanging on by their fingernails already. No one KNOWS what this might do to groundfish, and, as mentioned above, to thousands of gulls and migratory birds, being directly in the NE migratory flyway.

In any case, without huge subsidies (tax dollars from you and me) no company in their right mind would invest in offshore wind turbines as a sound business decision.

Last edited by smurphny; 02-08-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-08-2012

BrickPearson26 is on a distinguished road
Offshore wind turbine projects offer the potential to produce very large quantities of renewable energy. I'm surprised to see people on these forums opposed to these - especially because sailors know best of the incredible amount of wind power that is present offshore. Yes, there will be drawbacks, as there is with all forms of power generation. While the exact number of birds killed every year by wind turbines is not known, we do know that the number is much lower than certain interest groups want you to believe. The effects the turbines will have on your sailing will be minimal, and their effects on groundfisherman is overblown.
If we don't get some of our power from wind, then it is going to be coming from coal (CO2 emissions), oil (exporting $ to Middle East), or natural gas (Fracking).
afrinus likes this.
Old 02-08-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road
the charter fishing boats will probally love them ,the best fishing in the gulf of mexico is around the oil platforms they are teeming with fish .
Old 02-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southron Spirit View Post
the charter fishing boats will probally love them ,the best fishing in the gulf of mexico is around the oil platforms they are teeming with fish .
+1 ABSOLUTELY! The bases of these things will be fish and shellfish magnets, and anyone that has spent time diving near oil platforms, offshore lights and lighthouse towers will attest to the amount of marine life that congregates around these structures.

I suspect that those windmills proposed for the New Jersey coast will create homes for huge schools of sea bass, scup, tautog, mussels and more. In Maryland's portion of Chesapeake Bay prior to 9-11 the Gas Docks was THE place to be when it came to sinking your hooks into some monster striped bass while live-lining spot. Since 9-11 the feds created a zone around the structure where no boats are permitted.

The main problem with offshore windmills is they're not cost effective. Sure, they produce clean electricity when the wind's blowing, but when it's not, they just sit there doing nothing at all. The initial cost of the windmill is ridiculously high, installation can be a nightmarish expense, and maintenance is nearly constant. There have been lots of cost effectiveness studies done on them and the bang for the buck ratio is lousy at best.

Some nations, particularly those in northern Europe, has began relying on tidal currents and underwater turbines, which have proven extremely effective. Keep in mind the power of the wind is nothing in comparison to the power of the ocean's waters. And, unlike unpredictable wind, oceanic tidal currents are very predictable and can easily be harnessed. The only drawback I read about is fish entrapment, which is now being addressed with small-mesh housings to keep the critters out of the turbines.

Gary
Old 02-08-2012

Tbrad is on a distinguished road
I hate the very sight of those infernal wind generators. They are not even close to being the answer to our energy problems and are I suspect, only the means for some people including our illustrious politicians to make a lot of money. Driving West on I-90 in the State of Washington, when you came to the Columbia River Valley, the view to the West was really beautiful. Now the horizon is cluttered with a forest of wind generators. Now I feel a kinship with Don Quixote. America is changing right before our eyes. Changing to what, I can't say. But I know this; we are not concerned with "quality" of life. Rather we prefer "quantity" of "things". People seem to prefer "Cradle to Grave" government protection rather than freedom to live life on their own terms. I can't imagine sailing along and seeing a so-called "wind farm" around me.
Old 02-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
I hate the very sight of those infernal wind generators. They are not even close to being the answer to our energy problems and are I suspect, only the means for some people including our illustrious politicians to make a lot of money. Driving West on I-90 in the State of Washington, when you came to the Columbia River Valley, the view to the West was really beautiful. Now the horizon is cluttered with a forest of wind generators. Now I feel a kinship with Don Quixote. America is changing right before our eyes. Changing to what, I can't say. But I know this; we are not concerned with "quality" of life. Rather we prefer "quantity" of "things". People seem to prefer "Cradle to Grave" government protection rather than freedom to live life on their own terms. I can't imagine sailing along and seeing a so-called "wind farm" around me.
WOW! When I lived in Spokane and drove to Seattle many years ago I took that same I-90 route--it was truly a breathtaking view that is etched in my mind forever. I would hate to think what it looks like now with the windmill farms. I guess the next step will be to strip all the trees from the Cascades and Rockies and cover the slopes with solar panels.

Gary
Old 02-08-2012

Stearmandriver is on a distinguished road
Climate Depot? REALLY?

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Climate_Depot

Run by an ex-employee of James Inhofe, the most serious science-denier in our government. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in financing by ExxonMobile and similar industrial corporations. Now, whatever your personal beliefs, I think any rational person can agree that an organization this biased from the get-go doesn't deal in science. What they're peddling is.. Something else. ;-)

I'd try realclimate.org. A blog run by climate scientists for climate scientists.
arf145 likes this.