Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012

pjmidnight is on a distinguished road
Linux ENC Charting Software

Anyone have any recommendations for Linux based ENC charting software? I have a netbook I'd like to use for this and it won't upgrade to the beast that is Windows 7. Opensource is always preferred.

Cheers,
PJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
OpenCPN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
OpenCPN
+1

I think that this is the only open source software.

OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

I use it on a netbook and my desktop.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-07-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Yes to what the other guys said. We've got a notebook that was Windows Vista (shudder !!)) and would not upgrade to Windows 7. Be damned if I was going to then shell out for a brand new operating system so formatted the HD and went Linux. There is good and bad about that but the machine's main use is both on and off board for chart work and passage planning and OpenCPN is more than adequate for the task.

I am not however much of a computer expert so find Linux somewhat confusing when it needs modifying to run e.g. specifically Windows or Dos based programs. (I'm a bit of a sucker for some of the old Dos based computer games.) Linux will also not talk to my Android phone.

Couple of SailNet members (you know who you are) gave me a hell of a lot of help both in setting up Linux and chart programs. I couldn't have done it without them.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-07-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road
You probably want to pick a Linux distribution that is mainstream; A version of Ubuntu would be my recommendation for first time users. I would suggest you choose a "Long term service" (LTS) version or one tailored for a netbook. I believe the last LTS version was 10.04 but we should see 12.04 coming up in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Linux will also not talk to my Android phone.
ohhhh wombat. Android is Linux-based and should be able to be connected to your system. We may end up hijacking this thread, but since the question was asked and answered, I guess that's ok. What, exactly, are you trying to do?
Old 02-07-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Jordan,

Potential hijack yes, but the OP has had question answered .... all I am trying to do is get the Linux machine to acknowledge my Android exists. Plug the thing in through USB port and nothing. Doesn't even 'see' the connection. (Its a Sony Ericsson Xperia btw)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-07-2012

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Self-confessed computer nerd jumping in

Depending on the model of Sony Xperia being used, there are some known problems accessing the phone as anything more than an SD card (i.e. storage). Seems Sony decided that Mac & Windows users are all they can be bothered actually supporting (though, as I said, there is some success in getting access to the SD card).

Whilst both Android & Ubuntu are simply* versions of Linux, their connection is via the USB drivers & protocols. Windows & Mac install alot of drivers automatically and, what they don't, can be easily downloaded from the Internet as soon as you plug the device in. Linux tends to be a bit more of a pain about these things and I'm a nerd that likes it.

* Of course, the differences between Linux distributions are far from simple!
Old 02-07-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
all I am trying to do is get the Linux machine to acknowledge my Android exists. Plug the thing in through USB port and nothing. Doesn't even 'see' the connection. (Its a Sony Ericsson Xperia btw)
Well, I've got nothing but time over the next while so if you'd like some help, I'm always up for a good puzzle. I won't force it on you if you don't want to work at it, but my offer's open.

I'm assuming we're trying to connect to the device via USB (as opposed to bluetooth or wifi). I would start by plugging in the Xperia then using the "lsusb" command and to see if Ubuntu reports the device as attached. You will likely have a long list of devices attached, so we're looking for the Sony one in particular. It will have an 8-digit ID number (xxxx:xxxx) ... post an excerpt back and we'll go from there.

Cheers,
J.
Old 02-07-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
Well, I've got nothing but time over the next while so if you'd like some help, I'm always up for a good puzzle. I won't force it on you if you don't want to work at it, but my offer's open.

I'm assuming we're trying to connect to the device via USB (as opposed to bluetooth or wifi). I would start by plugging in the Xperia then using the "lsusb" command and to see if Ubuntu reports the device as attached. You will likely have a long list of devices attached, so we're looking for the Sony one in particular. It will have an 8-digit ID number (xxxx:xxxx) ... post an excerpt back and we'll go from there.

Cheers,
J.
Thanks for the offer, thanks to you too Bent. I won't have more info until later today cos I'm in office on a Windows machine right now, the Linux is at home. I'll get that excerpt for you asap.

btw ... I really don't have any interest in going with the full Sony PC Companion software , I just want to be able to open the phone directory to transfer pics etc.

Old 02-08-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Seems to be sorted ... end hijack. Thanks again Jordan and Bent.