Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003

garygroves is on a distinguished road
wave sounds on stern

This may seem to be a silly question, but has anyone heard of a product or device that will stop the lapping sounds of small waves whilst docked at a marina. This only occurs when the wind is astern, but it can be very annoying whilst trying to sleep in the aft berth. Boat has a reverse transome with an uplift and the waves sneak in under the transom and lap against the hull. I''ve searched all over but can''t seem to locate a solution and I''m sure that I''m not the only one annoyed by this problem. Thanks.

s/v Vingilot/Wauquiez 43PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2003

joub is on a distinguished road
wave sounds on stern

The laping sound of the waves is suppose to be part of the ambiance of being afloat on your own boat!

How about the forward V berth?

Jim

Old 10-26-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
wave sounds on stern

Gary, this is a very common situation.

We used to cruise with a couple, and the wife could not STAND whapping/banging halyards. The poor guy would have to get up, hoof it to the offending boat(s) and tie them off so she could relax and drift off. Altho'' folks who allow their halyards to bang aren''t house broken, the real issue was her and not the nearby errant halyard.

Perhaps knowing its ''normal'' under certain ''wind/wave aft'' conditions can help you and your crew to accept the slapping and not worry about it? Perhaps being on the water (in your relatively new boat) is a new enough experience that this shall pass as a concern?

A friend with a HR 39 told me that one of the new Hallberg-Rassy models is offered with the option of an aft-mounted inflatable barrier, just to reduce the amount of wave slap under the counter. (Apparently, the newer designs are going a bit more for performance via faster stern sections). It leaves me scratching my head and wondering why some folks don''t just by an RV...

Jack
Old 10-26-2003

Heruka is on a distinguished road
wave sounds on stern

you can always buy a small battery operated fan or something similar that will drown out the slapping noise. a cr player playing Pink Floyds, ''Wish You Were Here'' cd on continuous play perhaps.
Old 10-26-2003

tahitisail is on a distinguished road
wave sounds on stern

Fashion a skirt to be hung from the aft pulpit out of canvas. Weight this skirt with a hem filled with sand, if suspended such that the sand is below the water and the top of the canvas is above the water it should keep the wave from hitting the hull.
Now fold this up neatly and lock it away in the dock box. Don''t even think of putting it onboard.
Old 10-26-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
wave sounds on stern

Jack,

I find that the newer performance boats don''t seem to make as much wave slap noise as the older longer counter boats that I grew up with. There is just less back there for the waves to hit. On the other hand, quarter berths and aft cabins have become a lot more common so people are sleeping with their ears next to the counter, so of course what ever noise is produced seems a lot more apparent.

The other thing is that people seem to be less willing to spend the night on the hook rather than in a marina and as a result their transoms inevitably end up cross wise to the wave train. That is always noisier than laying bow to the wind.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 10-26-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
wave sounds on stern

Today I was browsing a sailing magazine at the bookstore and came across an ad for a "slap silencer to help end sleepless aft cabin nights". I remembered this thread and thought I''d just pass the web site along...

slapsilencer.com

I do not have one of these and know nothing about them except what I read on the site but just in case you''re interested...maybe someone else can offer first hand info.

bobbi
S/V Kokopelli
Old 10-27-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
wave sounds on stern

Jeff, the observations you''re making on now-passe'' long counters, frequently used aft cabins and the high preference for berthing the boat are all good points. We could also point out the extended waterlines generally, coupled with maximizing the interior cabin volume to the max - marketing strategies that work at boat shows far better than when the boat is used as a...well, a boat. Let''s not also forget tide-bound anchorages, where a moored or anchored boat is going to get this kind of noise half of each tide cycle. Or the loss of anchorages which, all by itself, drive folks into marinas (and which are sometimes the cause of the anchorage''s disppearance).

OTOH seems like these are all reasons for crew to be accepting of the situation rather than alarmed by it or wanting to ''fix it''. Is it not conceptually the same as lying in the V-berth in a surgy or choppy anchorage and living with both the vertical motion and some amount of wave slap as the boat veers on the hook? I''ll confess it strikes me as wanting all the comforts of land life on a boat but none of those niggly little bothersome nuisances that an actual boat brings along.

Jack
Old 10-27-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
wave sounds on stern

I''m sending this thread off the original topic, but Jack (Whoosh) just posted:

"...coupled with maximizing the interior cabin volume to the max - marketing strategies that work at boat shows far better than when the boat is used as a...well, a boat..."

I highly respect Jack''s posts, so I need a little clarification on that statement. I definitely don''t think it''s a good idea to make cavernous OPEN volume inside the boat; I have been below in some of these and felt like a ping-pong ball.

But if clever interior design gives you lots of storage, appropriate seating and settee berths, fold-up tables, room for extra tankage and the inevitable accessory or two, and still allows one to move safely about below in a seaway, I see that as a positive thing.

Please explain what you meant, Jack, so I can better understand your position.

Regards,

Duane
Old 10-27-2003

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
wave sounds on stern

Interesting thread and a consideration that I personally think is important when considering a boat.

I think the problem tends to be with the newer French designs: Jean, bene and as it pains me to say even the new Wauquiez''s. They all seemed to be designed with longer flat hull sections aft that are very low to the water...unlike boats from the 70''s and 80''s that had more pronounced counters rising higher. I think this is also coupled with thinner hulls and less insulation or interior lining (again many older boats have pretty thick teak joinery lining the interior.

Not to bash any boat, but I remember stepping aboard a Bene once in a marina on a bit of a windy day and could easily hear the slight chop banging on the hull....just standing there in the aft cabin...I could easily hear it. THAT would drive me crazy.

Again...at least to me...this is one reason why I looked for a design that 1) had sweet lines running up from the waterline amd 2) had a BIG vee berth.

As for deadening this sound if you happen to have it...perhaps it might be as simple as tying a couple big beach towels to that section of the stern.

At any rate...food for thought, as it DOES seem to be a trend amount the big production builders to create designs that have cavernous interiors, maximizing these interiors by designing sterns with broader, flatters, lower sections.

Best to all

J

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.