Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Bob, hope you won't mind if I post the link to the "Drool" thread over on CA, but it might save you from having to address some of the questions you've already addressed dozens of times before... (grin)

I noted in a recent thread here, a number of people were pretty dismissive of SAILING ANARCHY... The discussion of Bob's latest project began almost 18 months ago over on CRUISING ANARCHY, and ran to truly epic proportions - over 2,500 posts, or thereabouts... But, for anyone interested in what is involved in a project of this scale, from the original design brief of a very knowledgeable and experienced owner, through how such a brief is implemented by an artist like Bob, it makes for some fascinating reading... Next best thing to reading Bob's book, IMHO...

Hopefully, it might cause some to have a second look at CRUISING ANARCHY, as well... As this thread demonstrates, there resides a breadth of talent and experience over there that is pretty remarkable, in its own right... Not the least of which, are the incredible CAD renderings of Bob's work by Rick B...

It will take hours, if not days, to wade through... and, of course, there are the usual thread drifts and tangents... but, well worth checking out, to understand the incredible array of factors to be considered by a designer, the compromises to be made, and to gain a better understanding of the rationale behind the desirable characteristics that are central to a design as magnificent as CATARI...

Drool - Sailing Anarchy Forums

Last edited by JonEisberg; 02-09-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Jon:
Good idea. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-09-2012

Nessun Dorma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
haha bob if I ever win the lottery I will keep you in mind...

Just out of curiosity, why is the client going completely custom? What features are they building that just can't be found in any quality production boat? And why are they going with a monohull instead of a "condomaran" or something, especially as someone who intends to do alot of cooking?
This is Paul, Bob's client and the future owner of CATARI.

My decision to go custom was the end of a process, not something I set out upon. I started looking at new builds in the 50 foot range and found that there were few choices, that many of those had a sameness about them and that most were targeted at the Marina Rat Dweller more than cruiser. Some were well made but all lacked something I knew i wanted. I wanted a Ketch with a large mizzen, two cockpits but the working one aft, a 4:1 LB ratio, a certain under body, a mainsail size and other sailing parameters I'd had in mind for a long time. Accommodation I had specific views on. I looked at semi custom (buy the hull and deck, design the accommodations to suit), but there were precious few ketches and always something was not quite as I thought it should be. I also had a retro "look" I was seeking and construction details such as stanchions mounts that I cared very much about.

I went to Bob for advice on boats and over a year or two my family and I (my wife and 2 adult kids), over many bottles of wine, ended up designing something with Bob that we all love and have named after my paternal Grandmother. My gratitude to Bob and the enormousness pride we all now take in the design is hard to describe.

I'm fortunate to be able to be working with Bob and to be building a custom boat. There is something very special about knowing every nook and every bolt and why each wire and bit and piece is where it is and how much it weighs. There's an intimacy with the boat that is hard to achieve when you aren't part of the design and build. Its very hard to explain, but it's been an overwhelming experience, one that has pushed aside much of the rest of my life.

The author Arthur Ransom summed it up well when he said that "[t]he desire to build one's own boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place ... When it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that cannot be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on a serene horizon. it ends covering the whole sky, so that you can think of nothing else. You must build to regain your freedom." That was almost 100 years ago, and it's still a pretty good summary.

Nice to meet everyone.
jrd22 and T37Chef like this.
Old 02-09-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Folks .... any of you seriously interested in following the saga of this beautiful thing check out .....

Drool - Sailing Anarchy Forums (yes I know its a link to SA but I've linked back to SailNet from there in the past and won't accept this rivalry BS. We are all sailors.)

Putting aside for one moment the skill of BP, note the computer renderings by one Rick Beddoes (aka Sonadora). Gobsmackingly good stuff.

The willingness of Bob and Paul S (aka NessunDorma), not to mention Sons, to discuss this project on line has been a wonderful experience.

The old man Perry may well be a crotchetty old curmudgeon but how many other designers can you name who have been so willing to share their work experiences, both good and bad, with us forum potatoes ?

(OK Perry, that enough pissing in your pocket .... for now, at least.)

ps - didn't see JE's link before I posted it again.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 02-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
tdw:
You almost made me cry.

Doug:
Yeah Doug, how about it?

Bob's Blog ....

Please also visit my new web site
Old 02-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Bob, hope you won't mind if I post the link to the "Drool" thread over on CA, but it might save you from having to address some of the questions you've already addressed dozens of times before... (grin)

I noted in a recent thread here, a number of people were pretty dismissive of SAILING ANARCHY... The discussion of Bob's latest project began almost 18 months ago over on CRUISING ANARCHY, and ran to truly epic proportions - over 2,500 posts, or thereabouts... But, for anyone interested in what is involved in a project of this scale, from the original design brief of a very knowledgeable and experienced owner, through how such a brief is implemented by an artist like Bob, it makes for some fascinating reading... Next best thing to reading Bob's book, IMHO...

Hopefully, it might cause some to have a second look at CRUISING ANARCHY, as well... As this thread demonstrates, there resides a breadth of talent and experience over there that is pretty remarkable, in its own right... Not the least of which, are the incredible CAD renderings of Bob's work by Rick B...

It will take hours, if not days, to wade through... and, of course, there are the usual thread drifts and tangents... but, well worth checking out, to understand the incredible array of factors to be considered by a designer, the compromises to be made, and to gain a better understanding of the rationale behind the desirable characteristics that are central to a design as magnificent as CATARI...

Drool - Sailing Anarchy Forums

+1. Go the WLYDO!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-09-2012

Nessun Dorma is on a distinguished road
hey Doug, this is Bob's client on CATARI -- how about one free oven for all the free marketing we're doing for your GREAT product her and on CA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlake2 View Post
Bob:

Love the posting. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Doug at Wallas Heater | Boat | Stoves | Cooking Equipment | ScanMarineUSA.com
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 02-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessun Dorma View Post
This is Paul, Bob's client and the future owner of CATARI.

My decision to go custom was the end of a process, not something I set out upon. I started looking at new builds in the 50 foot range and found that there were few choices, that many of those had a sameness about them and that most were targeted at the Marina Rat Dweller more than cruiser. Some were well made but all lacked something I knew i wanted. I wanted a Ketch with a large mizzen, two cockpits but the working one aft, a 4:1 LB ratio, a certain under body, a mainsail size and other sailing parameters I'd had in mind for a long time. Accommodation I had specific views on. I looked at semi custom (buy the hull and deck, design the accommodations to suit), but there were precious few ketches and always something was not quite as I thought it should be. I also had a retro "look" I was seeking and construction details such as stanchions mounts that I cared very much about.

I went to Bob for advice on boats and over a year or two my family and I (my wife and 2 adult kids), over many bottles of wine, ended up designing something with Bob that we all love and have named after my paternal Grandmother. My gratitude to Bob and the enormousness pride we all now take in the design is hard to describe.

I'm fortunate to be able to be working with Bob and to be building a custom boat. There is something very special about knowing every nook and every bolt and why each wire and bit and piece is where it is and how much it weighs. There's an intimacy with the boat that is hard to achieve when you aren't part of the design and build. Its very hard to explain, but it's been an overwhelming experience, one that has pushed aside much of the rest of my life.

The author Arthur Ransom summed it up well when he said that "[t]he desire to build one's own boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place ... When it comes, the desire to build a boat is one of those that cannot be resisted. It begins as a little cloud on a serene horizon. it ends covering the whole sky, so that you can think of nothing else. You must build to regain your freedom." That was almost 100 years ago, and it's still a pretty good summary.

Nice to meet everyone.
Hey Ness. Welcome to SN dude.

Oh, and you don't have to necessarily eff-off...AND you can keep your hooters in your shirt.

BTW - that's a hell of a boat you've got there.

Old 02-09-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessun Dorma View Post
hey Doug, this is Bob's client on CATARI -- how about one free oven for all the free marketing we're doing for your GREAT product her and on CA ?
+1000. Throw the guy a bone Doug!

Old 02-09-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Two cockpits, not that is cool!