Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
The build starts on my new ketch project

Pacific Seacraft will build my new ketch for the Annapolis owner. This decision was made after talking to a number of builders. I am excited about getting the chance to work with Steve Brodie and his gang at PSC. If you study the layout drawing you will see that we are using twin Wallas diesel stoves side by side in the galley. The cooktop of the stove is on the small side so we decided to use two. The client is an avid chef and really likes the idea of having two ovens. Keep in mind that this is a custom design and yes there are a lot of things that could be different but on this boat they will be as you see here. The design is the result of a long process of preliminary design work. Mock ups are being built at PSC to cover critical areas.
Attached Thumbnails
The build starts on my new ketch project-catari-interior-layout-ca.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please also visit my new web site
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Nice girl indeed! Anymore pics?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 02-09-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
As I will probably never be able to hire you to design me a boat and have it custom built, I'm very interested to follow the process. Thanks for sharing it.

And hey, one never knows...
Old 02-09-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
haha bob if I ever win the lottery I will keep you in mind...

Just out of curiosity, why is the client going completely custom? What features are they building that just can't be found in any quality production boat? And why are they going with a monohull instead of a "condomaran" or something, especially as someone who intends to do alot of cooking?
Old 02-09-2012
grumpy old man

Peter:
The client never considered a catamaran. He likes a more traditionally styled boat. This boat has numerous features including both center and aft cockpits that are not found on production boats. The layout is detailed to the inch around the client's specific lifestyle on board.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Nice looking boat. Appears to be a serious cruising vessel.

Is that a hard dodger you've built in Bob? And what's the LOA? Looks like it's gotta be at least 45'.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-09-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Looks amazing Bob. I look forward to seeing the progress. The collaboration between two sailboat design and building icons will be something to see.

I am also looking forward to seeing this boat on the market in 15 years when I might be able to afford it!

On another note, I don't know how much privacy the clients want, but if they do want to remain more private you could upload another image with their names cropped from the bottom.
Old 02-09-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Bob
Nice boat for sure. I have a somewhat rhetorical question for you. I say 'rhetorical' because I am a retired teacher so it will not be a real question. If I came to you to have a boat designed, say a 45' for extended cruising, how is the design fee determined (flat rate?, hours spent on the project?, percentage of the build cost?) and what does that include, e.g does it include time spent with the builders to execute the project? Just curious, as are a bunch of other SN folks.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 02-09-2012
grumpy old man

PB: It's 58' LOA and what appears to be a hard dodger is what we call the pilot house and it overhangs the aft cockpit 24" for some shelter.

Boat: Of course I am aware of that but in this case the client gave me the all clear to leave his name on the drawings Monday morning. It was his idea.

Kill:
I can work strictly by the hour or I can name a flat fee. Either way the cost of all the design work will be between 8.5% and 10% of the build cost. I like to work hourly so my payments are monthly and easier to budget to. But in this case I am working to a fixed fee. Sometimes I think I can save the client some money on the design fee by working hourly. I bill for my time at the yard but I don't bill for travel time. But I'm 6'3" and I do not fly coach class.

My client flew out and spent a couple of days staying in my home while we worked on the project in the earlier stages. He will be back out with Steve Brodie next month. It can be a very enjoyable experience. The client just has to be able to put up with my curmudgeonly ways.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 02-09-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Is access to the pilothouse only from the deck? Eyes are too lousy to tell from the drawing.

I assume the client has more than a passing acquaintance with cruising, to go with a custom build that appears to be so oriented to what they want.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.