Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
+1 for Rigging Only. I don't think of them as an online store. Call them, talk to them about what you need and how you want it done. They made my rigging up for @ 50% of the closest competing quote (including shipping costs which were minimal). It arrived on time with personalized advice and follow-up. Good guys - good service.

Last edited by blowinstink; 02-16-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2012
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Now, I bought the boat with the mast de-stepped and it is still laying across the boat. So, I thought about the whole take them off and have them duplicated. The problem is that I have no idea how old the existing rigging and whether or not it is stretched, making them too long...I understand that swedging the top and using another cut in place type of fitting on the bottom is a good option. I'm just sure that I would need some help in a project like that. The yard could certainly step the mast but, what happens while adjusting and adding the fittings at the chain plates. Of course, I had my oday 22 standing rig done by bringing the guy at D&R marine my whole mast and that worked great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We have a member here, Knothead, who is a rigger and a he can do the work for you and ship it out.. You can ship him your existing stuff and he can renew it.. might be worth checking into. I know others here have used him and been pleased with the results.. Maybe send him a PM.
I believe Just rigging in Fairhaven would do that as well and I could save on the whole shipping extravaganza as they are pretty local to me and even more local to the boatyard.

Last edited by SloopDogg; 02-16-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: experience with "rigging only" online store

Well just as a follow up, I re-rigged my entire boat including the lifelines at rigging only. Total cost: $604, and when I told them I needed it expedited because the boat was going back in the water soon, they got it to me in two days. The price is right, and the service excellent. I mailed them my old rigging, and they used the old measurements to do the new rigging. It fits perfectly. So... thanks Sailnet! for another great recommendation...
Old 03-19-2012
1973 Viking 33

Thats awesome!! What boat do you have?

I've got a Viking 33 and I'm thinking I'm going to go that route too! $604, sounds like an amazing deal!
Old 03-19-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

I have a 1981 Hunter 25. The rigging is light, 3/16 inch, so your 33 footer will be more than that I'm sure. Still though, if I had gone with another rigger or else done it myself, it would have been at least $800 if not closer to $1000.

Funny, it was all original rigging but it wasn't in terrible shape. A few people told me not to bother replacing it, but I want to go sailing in some heavy stuff (20-30 knots) this summer instead of staying home on those days, so I figured I might as well replace the rigging just in case. When I got the mast down, the forestay where it connects to the eye at the top of the mast was totally damaged, was unraveling over a few inches. I feel much better about my decision to replace the rigging now.

To be honest, of all the jobs I've taken on in this boat, I thought the rigging would be among the most difficult. It was by far the easiest, and for the price, there is no excuse not to re-rig every decade or so

Last edited by peterchech; 03-19-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We have a member here, Knothead, who is a rigger and a he can do the work for you and ship it out.. You can ship him your existing stuff and he can renew it.. might be worth checking into. I know others here have used him and been pleased with the results.. Maybe send him a PM.
Chech - I'm glad it worked out for you with riggingonly.

But I'd definitely recommend Knothead (a longtime member here - and friend of mine) over absolutely anyone out there when it comes to rigging. Just judging by how good of a guy he is - you couldn't go wrong. I know of members here that have used him (sending their old stuff to him) and have been very pleased.

Just wanted to give him a shout-out, and support one of the good guys around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-19-2012
1973 Viking 33

Yea, I agree! I'm about to do the same. I've had 2 riggers look at it and they both said the head-stay is much newer and suggested not replacing it yet.

So, I got a price for $1340 from a guy to come out and do it on site with turnbuckles.

If I reuse the turnbuckles it would be $380 less. So $960 without the turnbuckles.

The 2nd guy said the upper shrouds look to be the same age as the head stay and I could get away without replacing those too. But, I've yet to get a price from him.
Old 03-19-2012

Andyman is on a distinguished road

They made some new shrouds for me a while back. Good price and top quality!
Old 04-12-2012
Whipjack

s/v AbbeyGale is on a distinguished road

Excellent bought all new standing and running, 3/8 (Stays) & 5/16 (Shrouds) thier knowledge is supurb, hard to match older european T Balls fit almost perfect. price was great about 3k shipping was fast packaging and marking was perfect
Old 04-12-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

I did my alberg 30 over the winter and used rigging only. I bought all new sta-loc mech fittings- upper and lower, 9/32" wire for upper shroud and stay-160ft, 7/32"-90ft wire for lowers shrouds and 8 new navtech turnbuckles 4-7/16" 4-1/2". i built the cables myself. total cost from them was $1600. that included a new windex 15 too.
hope this gives someone an idea on cost should they be thinking of doing it themselves.

My two lovely ladies!!

Last edited by Cruiser2B; 04-12-2012 at 09:49 PM.