Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Camera Reviews, DSLR reviews, lens reviews | Cameralabs

Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!

These two sites are a great resource for choosing the right camera.

For waterproof, I choose the canon D10, but it's over your budget.

I carried an Olympus IS model for three years. In my opinion, it takes very average pictures and video for the money.

FWIW, on a boat you often take pictures of things that are farther away, get as much optical zoom as you can afford. Also look for low light qualities.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2012

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell
last year I picked up a kodak Playsport...Water proof, HD, size of a small cell phone. A bonus is for an extra 10 bucks I was able to buy a wireless remote for it. I controls all the features at a push of a button. I also purchased a rail mount for it. ($20). I picked up te camera on sale for $80. This winter I went back to the camera shop to see if they had something to stabilize the side to side motion of the boat. They told me they could order me in a gyro for $2500.00. Like that was going to happen. So out to the shop I went and made my own. Made it out of stainless steel. Now it does not matter how much side to side movement of the boat there is, the camera always stays perfectly verticle. it also mounts to the rail.
Old 02-11-2012

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
heres my $.02

Don't get overly concerned about some super high pixel number unless you want to enlarge a picture to poster size, even a 8x 10 will look fine taken with as little as 5 mp.

I would look for something that will also use conventional AA batteries ,plenty of times being able to buy a pack of batteries at most any store is a great feature.
Old 02-11-2012

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell
Just read MD's post and that reminded me of something else about the kodak playsport.They come with there own rechargable battery. You can charge them at home, in your car/boat or even a laptop. I have even charged it off my Black Berry charger....
Old 02-25-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Ok, if any one is interested, I ended up getting the Canon SX230 HS. Partly because I've had good experiences with Canon. Partly by price (got it for $160), and partly because I could get it in a store instead of online.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2012

wm1999 is on a distinguished road
Check out GoPro Official Website: The World's Most Versatile Camera Cool little cameras that can serve all purposes.
Old 02-25-2012

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road
Great thread and perfect timing! I am also in the market for a waterproof camera to take sailing and snorkeling. We are going to the VI's in May and I want something to take with us everywhere and not have to stress over getting it wet. Oh and thanks for the review links. Looks like I've got some homework to do.
Old 02-25-2012

tom_beckstedt is on a distinguished road
Check this one out. GoPro Products - Record & Share Your Most Memorable Moments
Old 02-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
For whatever it's worth, the bloody camera on my new iPhone is better than the Cannon SureShot I bought a few years ago. No exaggeration. You need a 99 cent upgraded app to make it easier to use. For giggles, I looked up underwater cases for it, but didn't see much more than waterproof cases that don't have depth ratings. I will bet someone does or will make one.

That said, underwater pressure can be more extreme than one might imagine and I've seen many cases fail over the years. I'm not sure how comfortable I would be.

We really love using a camera phone to snap a quick pic of wherever we are and instantly texting it to family or friends. They do the same with us and we each try to guess the others location. Conversation ensues with either text, phone or now with FaceTime! It is the next best thing to being able to spend time with each other. We've been doing this for years, even with older camera phones. (the FaceTime option is now new and very cool)

With the iPhone, the quality of a good pic becomes a keeper too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-25-2012

Skipk is on a distinguished road
GoPro is a great little camera. very compact, does two hours of HD movie, can be set to shoot stills every X seconds or shoot like normal camera. waterproof housing works well; I've had mine to 210 feet deep (scuba). lots of accessories for it. It is a point and shoot, so if you want special effects it is limited.

skip