SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I need a new camera

4K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  sd1953 
#1 ·
First of all, I'm not a camera person. I like having pictures to share, or use in slideshows, and that's my main reason for having a camera.

So, what am I looking for. Something $250 or less, something that will do video as well as stills, and something not too complicated. I've been reading reviews, but still find it hard to pull the trigger on any specific camera. That being the case, I thought I'd ask what works for others.

#30 ·
GoPro is a great little camera. very compact, does two hours of HD movie, can be set to shoot stills every X seconds or shoot like normal camera. waterproof housing works well; I've had mine to 210 feet deep (scuba). lots of accessories for it. It is a point and shoot, so if you want special effects it is limited.

skip

#31 ·
FWIW my Nikon Coolpics takes decent pictures but it does not take good close up shots in my experience. Other than that its a been a good camera.

#32 ·
I love taking pictures and so over the years I have had several cameras. I had a Nikon N5005 (film), and a D70 (digital), and a Sea&Sea Motomarine II (underwater). But the Panasonic Lumix they are talking about sounds like a winner. Being able to use it in situations where there is spray coming over the bow (Smackdaddy's Big Freakin Sail!) or underwater or for the sunset all in one package. It sounds like it will meet all your needs and exceed them too. I think I need to go look at cameras again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.