SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   I need a new camera (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/83716-i-need-new-camera.html)

PBzeer 02-10-2012 06:28 AM

I need a new camera

First of all, I'm not a camera person. I like having pictures to share, or use in slideshows, and that's my main reason for having a camera.

So, what am I looking for. Something $250 or less, something that will do video as well as stills, and something not too complicated. I've been reading reviews, but still find it hard to pull the trigger on any specific camera. That being the case, I thought I'd ask what works for others.

chef2sail 02-10-2012 06:39 AM

We have Cannon Powershot SX230. Small compact awesome pictures. Rapid fire and movie mode too. Also looked at Nikkon Coolpix L120 Both a good and under $250. I chose the Cannon because it was a little less bulky and more lens protection.

Dave

bljones 02-10-2012 06:45 AM

Canon SX30. I've had mine for almost a year and a half and have been very happy.

Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

It's a little higher than your price point, but you wouldn't regret the flexibility. However, below your pricepoint is the SX30s little brother:

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SX150 IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide-Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3.0-Inch LCD (Black): Camera & Photo

Not as much lens capability, but similar features and shoots HD video.

PBzeer 02-10-2012 07:20 AM

Would have bought the SX150 when they were $179 at Walmart, but they were out of stock and the price has gone up to $229. I'll have to check out the 230, as I don't recall seeing it in the reviews I've read.

Tafa 02-10-2012 07:31 AM

Panasonic Waterproof Camera

I'believe panasonic's new camera is one of the best for marine use.

It's shock proof (up to 6 ft) and waterproof (up to 30ft) Great optics (Leica lens) and software features.

It looks like a bit over your $250 budget but I would check it.

Panasonic Lumix Waterproof 14.1MP Digital Camera (DMCTS2D) - Orange : Compact Cameras - Future Shop

Gary3675 02-10-2012 07:49 AM

I Agree with Tafa......

I have the Panasonic....my brother has the Panasonic.....we love the camera.

And after seeing our Panasonic Lumix camera our friends have bought them also.

Amazon has them for 235.

sailingfool 02-10-2012 07:59 AM

I've used an Olympus
Olympus Shock-Proof, Waterproof, Freeze-Proof 14MP 3.6X Optical Zoom Digital Camera Bundle - White at HSN.com for many years.

I think the freezeproof and waterproof design are essential. When I go skiing, I can carry the camera in the outer pocket of my ski coat, ready to use. When sailing, I keep it in a pants cargo pocket, again ready to use. If you get hit by a wave, or a sudden rainstorm, it'll just keep clicking.

speciald 02-10-2012 08:00 AM

I just bought my wife a Nikon AW100 with case and memory chip for $300 after reviewing and trying all the avaialble waterproof cameras. The Sony had a touch screen which wouldn't work underwater! I cinsidered the Panasonic but decided on the Nikon after reading all the reviews.

PBzeer 02-10-2012 08:18 AM

Some good suggestions. As a singlehander though, I rarely take pictures when conditions are rough enough to worry about getting splashed or rained on. And the whole point of my cruising is to be where it's warm. So I'm not sure the extra cost is worth it. The suggestions are still helpful though.

wingNwing 02-10-2012 09:37 AM

We've been pretty happy with Olympus Stylus 9000. Does most everything on your list -video, zoom, lots of flexibility for varying light situations and < $250 when we bought it last year. I've dithered about getting an underwater housing but really, after a while, jaded as it sounds to say it, the shots all begin to look alike, ho hum, just another brilliant colored tropical fish or reef...