Tiller Lock - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 02-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Google image search for 'Tiller comb'... some ideas here...

tiller combs - Google Search

Keep in mind, though, on smaller boats after you set the tiller in the 'right spot', when you go forward often you'll upset the balance of the boat enough for it to veer off course one way or the other.. so this is usually a very short term solution.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 02-10-2012

I use a set up like Slayer discribes. I added two CLAM cleats, port and starboard. The clam cleats allow for instant release and easy fine adjustment. Dan S/V Marian Claire
post #13 of 24 Old 02-10-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

The $29 Davis Tiller Tamer always worked great for me. The only problem I ever had with it was when I forgot to release the thumb screw.

Gary
post #14 of 24 Old 02-10-2012
Broad Reachin'

Here's my review of the Davis Instruments Tiller Tamer: Sail Far Live Free: Taming your tiller

Catalina 34

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 02-10-2012 at 04:31 PM.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-10-2012

The tiller tamer is a pain because you need to unscrew it to release. And you will have to release any time the boat gets off course.

For years I've used a rope, about 6' long, with 1' of bungee cord on either end. I clip the bungee cords to the toe rail. And then 1 or 2 wraps of the rope around the tiller tip (depending on wind strength).

The beauty of this is that it is easy to push the tiller manually if you want to. It just stretches the bungee cords. It is also instant to remove the rope if needed.

See the first section of the video at FoolishMuseSelfSteering.wmv - YouTube
post #16 of 24 Old 02-10-2012

if and when you buy a tiller pilot,you won't regret it,best money i've spent and i'll not be without one again otherwise even with some kind of jury rigged rope/strap etc you're still a tiller slave
post #17 of 24 Old 02-10-2012
Remember you're a womble

I use a tiller tamer, and the lightness of my tiller means I can set it such there is enough friction to hold it where it is, but I can also move it without having to undo the screw thingymajig. I like it.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 Old 02-10-2012 Thread Starter
Superior Sailor

Like i said in the OP.. not looking for an autopilot "substitute" or any long term arrangement, but just some options to run up front if I need to without the boat doing circles on me...

Real Autotiller is on the "list" but probably not a "day one" option at this point. I just got talked into rigging more of my lines to the cockpit.

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
post #19 of 24 Old 02-11-2012

We have had a Tillerlock (www.cansail.com) on our 22 footer for three years. Uses a simple line clamping method. It sets and releases easily. Previously used clove hitch method described in another post. Rank it as one of our more handy improvements.

If you check out vega1860's videos on youtube you will see he uses a surgical tube or elastic setup. It looks good to me because it seems to respond to slight wind shifts and wave action better than my rigid system. Vega1860 used the setup for most of a slow passage from Hawaii to Washington state.
post #20 of 24 Old 02-11-2012

When I had a tiller boat I used to tie a length of line close to my boat length to the tiller with a rolling hitch, then take the bitter end forward with me to the foredeck. With a well played flick of the wrist I found that I could actually steer the boat well enough to keep her into the wind or roughly maintain a point of sail. I had success with this method on a 24' and a 27' boat, now I just need to figure out how to make it work with my 40' wheel-driven ketch!

Sailing a '74 Challenger 40' Ketch rig out of San Francisco

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.