Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Portable solar

Does anybody have any experience with any of the portable solar chargers? I'd like to be able to charge things like cell phone, tablet computer, digital camera, etc.

Most of the ones I've looked at online seem like you'd have to leave your phone off and plugged in for 2-3 days to get it fully charged, which isn't really useful.
Old 02-10-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Why not just get a small inverter?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2012

safira is on a distinguished road
12 volt battery and a 100 w inverter should power that type of items
Old 02-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
n0, a small solar charger is still just a SMALL CHARGER and that's going to take forever to charge larger things.

If you have a phone, you buy a spare battery or two to take with you. Swap 'em when you need to. If you're cursed with an iPhone, you buy an external battery, recharge it, it plugs in to rejuice the phone. (Works for other phones, too.)

But solar chargers? Buy the biggest, least convenient, most expensive panels you can get, and things will charge faster. That's just the way it is for now.
Old 02-10-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Get yourself one of these bad boys.

Quote:
PowerTrekk fuel cell charger allows for power on the go

Outdoor types who need power for mobile devices away from the grid may find themselves carrying solar chargers or battery packs but, as we reported last year, hydrogen fuel cells offer instant juice benefits and zero degradation. Now, Stockholm's myFC and SiGNa Chemistry have teamed up to launch the PowerTrekk, a pocket-sized, portable charging solution that combines the convenience of a battery pack with the instant power of a hydrogen fuel cell.

Developed to provide some off-the-grid juice to outdoor enthusiasts or anyone who finds themselves away from a wall socket when their smartphone, GPS or digital camera battery dies, myFC's PowerTrekk 2-in-1 portable charger is the first to use Mobile-H2 technology from SiGNa Chemistry. In addition to sporting a Li-ion battery pack, the device also takes a Mobile-H2 cartridge called a PowerPukk.

The PowerPukk disc contains sodium silicide (NaSi), a non-flammable powder which rapidly produces hydrogen thanks to a stable and controllable reaction with a wide variety of non-potable, non-distilled water – including salt water – at room temperature. SiGNa says that the powder is generated from salt (sodium chloride) and sand (silicon dioxide) starting materials in a solvent- and purification-free process where the heat generated during manufacture is recaptured and used within the process, keeping energy consumption down.

About a tablespoon of water is added to the central well of the PowerPukk after it's placed inside the belly of the PowerTrekk, after which the device's Proton Exchange Membrane starts to silently convert the hydrogen into electricity. The only by-product of the process is a little water vapor. There's no more waiting around for the sun to harvest enough energy to power your gadgets, and the unit is said not to suffer from degradation often associated with battery packs.

The PowerTrekk's built-in Li-ion battery buffer has a capacity of 5.9 Wh (1600 mAh, 3.7 V) and the device has a rated output of 5V, 1000 mA and rated input of 5V, 500 mA. The PowerPukk Fuel Cartridge can be swapped out without interrupting the supply of power to the attached mobile device.

One cartridge is said to provide the device with enough power to fully charge a smartphone's battery, but myFC says that "if the internal battery/buffer is full it will charge more than 2 smartphones or 15 iPods."

PowerPukk cartridges come in either five or ten packs and have a shelf life of two years minimum. myFC told Gizmag that an end of operational life recycling program to best fit consumers would be launched when the PowerTrekk and PowerPukk discs go on sale.

The 2.59 x 5 x 1.65-inch (66 x 128 x 42mm) PowerTrekk, which is currently on display at Mobile World Congress 2011 in Barcelona, will come in green, red or yellow and is expected to be shipped internationally in October for an estimated US$200. PowerPukk discs will likely cost of couple of dollars each.

PowerTrekk fuel cell charger allows for power on the go
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 02-10-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
PowerTrekk: ROFLMAO!

A $200 gizmo that requires cartridge$ and still only produces the same amount of power that is stored in a cellphone (external) battery. Which costs $25 on the street and can be recharged 500 times.

Thanks, I'll buy eight batteries for the same $200 and get eight times the recharging for the buck. I know, I'll have to find power someplace after that, but you'll have to find new cartridges and I'll bet those won't be at the local bait shop, either.
Old 02-10-2012

KIVALO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
PowerTrekk: ROFLMAO!

A $200 gizmo that requires cartridge$ and still only produces the same amount of power that is stored in a cellphone (external) battery. Which costs $25 on the street and can be recharged 500 times.

Thanks, I'll buy eight batteries for the same $200 and get eight times the recharging for the buck. I know, I'll have to find power someplace after that, but you'll have to find new cartridges and I'll bet those won't be at the local bait shop, either.
I know, it was a joke. You know... sarcasm.
WORK IS OVER-RATED
Old 02-11-2012

Shark0311 is on a distinguished road
I would recommend a Powerfilm 10w (Link) or 20w panel with a small charge controller for your on board battery or a Brunton Resync. The key to using solar is to have intermediate power storage.
Old 02-11-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
A DC to AC inverter, something about 100-watts, will do everything you want, plus run a 20-inch flat-screen TV at the same time. The drain to your house batteries will be approximately 1.2 amps per hour if the inverter is loaded to maximum.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 02-11-2012

Shark0311 is on a distinguished road
FYI most devices that charge via USB cable charge at 5 watts (5V @ 1A). The exception is the Ipad that charges at 10 watts (5v @ 2A).

Converting DC to AC to DC is very inefficient and unnecessary in most cases. Just use a cigarette lighter adapter. There is no need to use an inverter for the devices that you have listed.