Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012
Vagabond in Training

Livia is on a distinguished road
Now that my overnight passages are *warm* I'm enjoying them a lot more.
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2012
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
The first overnight passage I ever did was wet cold and utterly miserable. I was also completely petrified, it is true what my mama used to say.....the dark does make things just seem real scary.

I seriously thought about beaching the boat, hitting the Epirb and getting a ride with the rescue boys towards a nice long shower. Golfing perhaps seemed like a far more sensible pastime.

I think it took me several overnight passages to get to the point where I actually could enjoy it........and warm balmy sailing under clear skies certainly helped.
tdw likes this.

Old 02-15-2012

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
The first overnight passage I ever did was wet cold and utterly miserable. I was also completely petrified, it is true what my mama used to say.....the dark does make things just seem real scary.
Impressive honesty!

In my case, I stupidly wanted to show I could do yachtmaster work at the chart table at 2 a.m. in rough conditions just before we crossed the shipping channels of the English Channel. I did it, and then fought sea sickness for the next eight hours, including when doing a major tack that threw half the crew out of their bunks (to safely avoid three tankers and container ships) and doing a drenching pre-dawn head sail change on the foredeck.

I regret that I haven't had much of the star-filled skies "at one with the universe" syrupy music with the wake filled with phosphorescence type of night sailing yet... (Okay, maybe I don't.)

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Last edited by Jim H; 02-15-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I think Chall, me old china plate - you've got there. However I can tell you now that after a few years, you'll only record the weather, wind, boat speed, course etc - the rest you'll have stored in your memory.

Later, you'll remember the sound of dolphins breathing, and talking, and you'll know the course is true by the feel of the swell under the boat.

Old 02-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
In a related manner, 20 knots of wind on a bright sunny day vs 20 knots of wind on a grey day with low scudding clouds and rain are two VERY different experiences - the latter seeming much more onerous...
killarney_sailor and tdw like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-15-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Dawn can be very liberating if it has been a stressful night - crappy weather, traffic, making a landfall - especially combinations of the above.
tdw and smackdaddy like this.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 02-15-2012

ScottUK is on a distinguished road
I really enjoy sailing at night. One of my favorite moments was on a sail from Ustica (a beautiful island by the way) to Sardinia. There were three of us and we were doing single watches and, during my watch at night, dolphins were rushing the boat beam on. The bubbles and bioluminescent trails were incredible almost like live torpedoes. Fantastic!
Old 02-15-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I love night sailing. Working the bow at night is scary - but really fun...at least in the relatively minor conditions we were in (20 knots and 5-6 footers). I could see where it could be terrifying though.

Even so, the stars, the dolphins, the phosphorescence, the sounds, amazing. The unlit oil rigs...not so much.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-15-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Does overnight racing count?

I don't have any long passages, but I have two races, 55 and 80 miles respectively. Two vastly different experiences:

Eastport to Solomons, Md. on my 3.75ktsb. We were immediately left behind at the starting line and raced alone all night. The sky was crystal clear, and the moon was full and bright all night long. On each tack, the running lights illuminated the foot of the jib eerily, but the water was a beautiful silver. There was only one commercial ship all night. The heavily tilted and inactive Sharp's Island Light loomed over us like a sleeping sentinel at one point. The pink and orange dawn arrived, illuminating James Island, pine trees and pelicans. It was gorgeous.

Governor's Cup (Annapolis to St. Mary's College) on a C&C 35MkIII

In this race, we were in the middle of our competiton all night. It was an ugly, upwind pounding the entire way, with no moon, under a sky of hammered lead. It was somehow comforting to have the running lights of our competition nearby, but it was always nerve-wracking when they'd tack in front of you and their black sails would blot out what little ambient light remained. There were phospherescent jellyfish in the water, that when the hull slammed down, would flash brightly as they slid down along the hull. Dawn brought Point No Point, Point Lookout and the St. Mary's river. We fired up the oven and cooked this delicious cream cheese and sausage breakfast pastry as we raced. Best fed crew in the fleet.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-15-2012
Commodore

n8kraft is on a distinguished road
Being on watch at night is a wonderful thing if the conditions are right. Some of my best memories from the Navy are of starry nights watching from the bridge. They mirror my first moonlit night sail on Puget Sound sailing from Everett, WA to Port Ludlow on my Catalina 27. The beauty of a sunset and the peaceful easy feeling of sailing along in the dark is wonderful, but the shipping traffic in the Sound keeps you attentive and ready for anything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.