Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012

connellyjc is on a distinguished road
Please help - Relocating to Edenton, NC

I am in the process of possibly relocating to Edenton, NC. I am looking for anyone that currently is keeping their boat at the Edenton Marina. I have a 1975 Tartan 34c, so it only draws 3'11" (with centerboard up), so I think I will be fine with the shallow waters of the Albemarle sound.

However, I am having a very hard time finding any real information related to sailing in the Albemarle. Is is just a bad place to have a boat? I have found some information, but not much of it is positive (crab pots everywhere, rough, choppy conditions, etc.)

Can anyone local to the area give me some insight? I would be moving my boat from the Chesapeake Bay, near the Rappahannock River. My wife and I primarily do day sails and short trips, typically 3 days or less.

Also - can you swim in the sound? I have read some posts that talk about the high level of fertilizer in the sound from the farmers. Is this a real issue?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
No real sailing until you get east of the highway (fixed) bridge, and then you're in a sea of crabpots. I was last there 4 years ago, so can't say exactly how things are at this point in time. Better suited for multiple day trips, than day sailing though.

Elizabeth City, Manteo, and the anchorage on the Alligator River are all within a day of Edenton.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2012

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
I can't help much with the specific sailing info on the Albemarle but I'd think you'd be able to do some nice sailing with that boat. Board up to get into shallower marinas and creeks, board down in deeper areas for sailing. Your 34 should be fine in the chop except when it gets really snotty. For a longer trip it would be fun to come down our way and visit Washington, Bath, Ocracoke, etc. - so come say hello!

As for the swimming, there is lots of watersports activity on the sound side of the Outer Banks. Granted that's the eastern part of the sound but I wouldn't hesitate to swim in the area where you're going to be. We swim here, and the Pamlico and Albemarle sounds are pretty comparable.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.

Last edited by SecondWindNC; 02-11-2012 at 11:31 AM.