Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Coming from a powerboat/watersking background, I thought motoring back to MOB would be the quick and easy way to do it....

Until I thought what if "I" fall in..and wife/buddy/whoevercame for a ride, has to start the motor, the turn the boat and pick "me" up...Now I'm not so thrilled with the idea...

This LifeSling video convinced me that most anyone can turn the sailboat around quickly and safely and pick up MOB "without" the motor running be it inboard/outboard/gas or diesel...

Lifesling - Crew Overboard Rescue - Seattle Sailing Foundation.avi - YouTube

Last edited by Squidd; 02-11-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We have always made it a habit to use any hats blown overboard as an impromptu MOB drill.. under sail (which is when hats generally blow off anyway!)

Thanks to that, when a couple of seasons back our 'new' handheld VHF (M34 floater) slipped over the side: One quick jibe, around again, hove to and plucked it out of the water.. Sailing again on the original track in not much more than a minute. Of course that's a lot easier to pick up than a person, but we were in the rescue position right away. Practice pays.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-11-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456Wannasail654321 View Post
I an guessing that he is wondering if you'd forgo the customary five minute blowing out of the bilges prior to starting a gas engine.
Thanks for clearing that up for me Wannasail (seriously!) I say....throw the A4 overboard and get a diesel!
Old 02-11-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
This is a bit of a hijack but pertinent as well. If I ever buy a boat with an A-bomb, one of the first things I will do will be to replace the fuel lines with braided stainless hose and AN fittings. With those for fuel lines and the tank separated like a propane tank I doubt you would EVER smell gas inside the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 02-11-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
This is a bit of a hijack but pertinent as well. If I ever buy a boat with an A-bomb, one of the first things I will do will be to replace the fuel lines with braided stainless hose and AN fittings. With those for fuel lines and the tank separated like a propane tank I doubt you would EVER smell gas inside the boat.
Oh come on, guys, get serious. There are hundreds of thousands of power boats with gas engines and it's not like they are blowing up left and right.

Yes, there are accidents with gas (though probably a lot less than with propane) but there is usually some _really_ stupid behavior involved. Like having a smoke while pumping gas (I have seen this).

If you keep your system reasonably in order (use USCG accepted fuel lines, yes rubber is fine!) there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I sure don't loose sleep over my trusted A-4, nee 1976.
Old 02-12-2012

svHornblower is on a distinguished road
The A-4 in my boat is original and has never been rebuilt. I always start the blower and do the "sniff test" before I start it. Having said that I would not hesitate to start the engine right after I tossed a flotation device to the MOB and then tacked. My goal would be to do the recovery under sail. However, having the engine running and ready if you need it is a prudent step. If you maintain your systems properly you can then be confident in their performance.
Old 02-12-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
I'd be very wary of starting the engine for a MOB as this is a stressful time and you might make a mistake. The kind of mistake I'm talking about is what happened to a guy in my marina :

The crew fell overboard, so the skipper started the engine. The prop sucked in one of the jib sheets that was in the water. This wrapped around the prop with sufficient force to break the transmission and yank the prop shaft OUT, jamming the prop into the rudder. The rudder would then not move at all. The jib was ripped down and the roller furler wrecked.

The boat was then crippled and unable to sail OR motor, and leaking. The CG had to come and get the crew back who only just made it. The repair bill was $12K.

So if you're sailing when the crew goes overboard, best to complete the rescue under sail. If you're motoring, keep doing that. You have enough on your plate spotting the MOB and getting to him that you won't be able to drop or raise sail in an organised manner.
Faster, chrisncate and SloopJonB like this.
Old 02-12-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Oh come on, guys, get serious. There are hundreds of thousands of power boats with gas engines and it's not like they are blowing up left and right.

Yes, there are accidents with gas (though probably a lot less than with propane) but there is usually some _really_ stupid behavior involved. Like having a smoke while pumping gas (I have seen this).

If you keep your system reasonably in order (use USCG accepted fuel lines, yes rubber is fine!) there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I sure don't loose sleep over my trusted A-4, nee 1976.
Back in the 70's when there were 4 barge gas docks in Coal Harbour, I was working on West Pender one night when one of them blew up. There was a big concrete highrise between the building where I was and the barge, which was 1/4 mile out in the harbour beyond THAT. Despite all that, it nearly blew out the windows in our building. It was, by FAR, the biggest explosion I have ever experienced.

It was caused by a powerboater (Naturally! ) not blowing his bilges after fuelling. The boat, barge & all burned to the water and people were killed.

Ever since I have been VERY respectful of gas on boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-12-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2012

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
I guess I am playing with fire but I have never run the blower in any power boat I have owned,for the obligitory 5 minutes prestart, ever.

It never seems like a good idea to tie up the boat launch for an extra minutes to blow out the engine compartment for something that I have never heard of actually happening.

I keep my systems well maintained though...
Old 02-12-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post

Ever since I have been VERY respectful of gas on boats.
I would be the last to argue with that!