Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You've got some time, and a somewhat conflicted agenda.. I really can't see this two-boat proposition as a workable one.. We've done the two boat thing, but it was a cruiser and a smaller day racer.. we had the best of both worlds for a decade and a half.

But trying to run a substantial power boat for one, with a sailboat for the other seems like a recipe to separation, at least on the water and I can't imagine that's your intent.

Sounds like you'd like to do some substantial coastal cruising.. I too think you'd be better served by something that will provide more than the 'camper cruising' of most of the smaller boats mentioned to date.

My suggestion is to take your missus to the BVIs or somewhere else nice and warm and scenic, and charter a mid 30-40 foot sailboat for a week. Give her a taste of the security, the solidity and comfort of something like that in an impossible-to-not-enjoy environment. Perhaps her point of view might be swayed.

You also stated you're 'bored by the same waters'... hard to understand unless you're powerboating. We've been sailing the same waters for over 30 years, mostly visit the same places every year and we're a long way from bored with it. Galveston and the Gulf may well not offer the kind of cruising we have here, but sailing is always a little different one way or the other, your never stop learning, and boredom really isn't even in the dictionary.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You say Galveston Bay ... whereabouts on the Bay? I assume Clear Lake. To the north and south of Galveston is the Interstate of barge traffic. And the Bay itself, while large and a good place to daysail, is not exactly gunkhole heaven. All in all, it's not a great venue for exploring by sailboat, unless you're going to go offshore and pop in and out. Clear Lake to Galveston is a full day trip in a sailboat. For a weekend, you could sail around all day then anchor at Fire(?) Island, then sail all day and back to port. Or go all the way to Galveston. Thing is, outside of the ship channel, the Bay isn't very deep.

You say Momma likes to go fast. Has she ever spent a whole day "going fast"? Has she ever spent a whole day going slow? Thing is, after the first hour or so, the only real difference is the decibel level. And speed itself is relative. Bouncing across the waves at 30 knots is less exciting than heeled over doing 7 knots in a sailboat. Lot more pucker factor for the uninitiated.

From reading your original thread and now this one, it doesn't sound like the two of you have really worked out just how you want to spend your time on the water. And to me, that's your real decision right now. I'd almost guarantee though, that if you get a big go-fast boat and smaller sailboat, sooner or later, the sailboat is going to start gathering dust.

Part of your problem here is geography. The Bay is more like a huge lake, that gets real shallow around the edges. There's no little scenic anchorages, no real destinations that aren't marinas. No real place to "get away from the crowd". Just aren't a lot of choices on where to go. And to sail anywhere outside of the Bay, you have to go offshore.

Given what I know, if it were me, I'd get a large comfy powerboat, then start meeting folks with sailboats, that you can go out with, especially the both of you. Do some charters, even if they have to be captained. Or to put it more bluntly, give her what she wants and then hook her on sailing. Then when she gets tired of doing the same old straight line run to no-where, you can convince her how much more enjoyable it is to sail.

You're young, you've got time, work your way to a mutually enjoyable time on the water. Otherwise, what's the point?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2012

rwilson37643 is on a distinguished road
Its not that the wife doesn't like sailing, she does, it is that she wants to travel in the boat. she is a be there person. The solution I have worked out (and what I was fishing for in the first post, thank you to the person that posted it) is a large powerboat for longer trips and a smaller sailboat for day trips and short weekends. Time is the big issue. My wife, and myself for that matter, would like for us to spend the rest of our lives living on a large sailboat bouncing from island to island. That is the retirement plan. but for now seventy hour work weeks prevent that. The two boat option will allow a trip to Belize in the power boat on vacation and quick short trips just to spend time on the water throughout the year.
Old 02-12-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road
We shopped for several months and finally decided on a Catalina 25 on a trailer with an inboard diesel. The boat has spent some time in the gulf and some on Texas inland lakes. This boat works for us. The difference is we are retired and have the time to spend setting up the rigging to go sailing. I have an A frame and crutch with a roller on the stern and it takes me about 30 minutes to rig the boat. Both come off in a couple of minutes. Our plan is to visit several places to sail. I will take the RV, set it up and then bring the boat and spend a few weeks. The fact that you work the hours you do I personally do not think this is a scenario that will fit your lifestyle. We will also spend some two or to three day trips with just the boat. In your shoes I would get a boat in a slip close to home that you can get to often to enjoy without spending a lot of time getting ready. Just my thoughts. I grew up boating on Lake Michigan and I do get slightly bored on the same inland lakes after a few days of sailing in the same small place. But I will go sailing every chance I get.
Old 02-12-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I know you said on your opening post that "only oneneeds to be mentioned here as the other will be a powerboat..."
Actually, both boats have an impact on each other, along with your needs, because what you THINK you need or will be suitable may not be what you really need. Here's what I mean:
Figure it's 800 nm from Galveston to Belize.

Referencing your other thread, figure you've got $300K to spend on a powerboat

Also referencing your other thread, figure on a two week vacation window.

$300K will buy you a new or newish SeaRay in the 34-40' range, depending upon the year.
Let's use this bad boy as an example:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=76014&url=

Twin Cummins diesels will push her at a cruising speed of 27 knots.

900 nm / 27 knots = 34 hours
Burning 40 gallons per hour. 40 gallons x 34 hours= 1360 gallons.

The boat shown above has 300 gallon fuel tankage.

So, you ain't making Belize in one jump, besides...

Have you ever pounded along at 27 knots?
For THIRTY THREE hours? Even a comfy boat like that Sea Ray is gonna be loud and sleep is gonna be tough. So, you get to your destination fatigued and cranky and you need a day to recover.

Trust me, what is wheeee! for an hour is a whole lot less satisfying for a day.

Okay, so the go-fast boat and weekending in Belize is out. What, you ask, is the powerboat alternative?

A trawler.

Big range, lower fuel consumption, arguably kinder motion thanks to displacement rather than semi-planing hull. Your same budget buys you this:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=33464&url=

Cruising speed is 10 knots. Now it is 80 hours to Belize.
She'll burn 3-5 gallons an hour depending upon conditions and speed. With the tankage of 324 gallons, you'll juuuuust make it, but you'll be eyeballing the gauges for the last half of the trip.

So, Belize by power boat is not "be there now"-able. The fast boat won't get you there, and the slow boat won't get you there now.
If jaunting down to Belize is what your wife wants to do, she's doing it by sailboat.

Or, maybe I can interest you in a used Cessna?

So, counselor, you have to manage your client's expectations. I suggest you talk your way onto some of the boats that interest your wife, get some time on the water, and do the math.

Now, sail to Belize on this:
2000 Robertson and Caine Leopard 45 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Figure 9 knot cruising speed= 100 hours to Belize, Under sail. Faster than trawler, more comfortable, MUCH more room, MUCH MUCH quieter, even under power, than the SeaRay...
and you can hang a go-fast boat on the davits. Treat the mothership as the mother ship and your wife can indulge her be-there-now side exploring in the RIB.
Faster and eherlihy like this.

Old 02-12-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Again, your real problem here is geography. There just aren't any real "be there" places where you're at. And the ones that are there, are better reached by power ( down coast from Galveston, up to Beaumont, or Lake Charles, LA). And as the cliche goes, sailboats are about the journey, power is about the destination.

Another consideration, given your time constraints, is time-share. When I was there in '06, there were a couple of time-share places in the Waterford/Watergate area (Clear Lake). That might make more economic sense for you. Then, your limited time can be spent going, not working on the boat ... and you will have to work on the boat.

You have a long range plan, do what makes sense to realize it.
Faster likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to take a weekend trip to one of the boat shows? The two of you can board the cats, trawlers, powerboats, trailer boats and (if it were me), take notes from this thread and get the opinion of the salespeople. I know they are sales, but I've felt that I've received straight answers in the past.

A large show would be a weekend trip. Board, ask questions, think about it overnight, return and see if you still have the same thoughts. Sit on the boats you didn't weed out for a bit of time. You're potentially spending a lot of up-front money. You deserve to give yourself the time to not make an impulse purchase that may not be quick to unload in this economy should you decide later that you made a mistake.

The important part would be to do it together, however.
rugosa likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-12-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You've got some time, and a somewhat conflicted agenda.. I really can't see this two-boat proposition as a workable one.. We've done the two boat thing, but it was a cruiser and a smaller day racer.. we had the best of both worlds for a decade and a half.

But trying to run a substantial power boat for one, with a sailboat for the other seems like a recipe to separation, at least on the water and I can't imagine that's your intent.

Sounds like you'd like to do some substantial coastal cruising.. I too think you'd be better served by something that will provide more than the 'camper cruising' of most of the smaller boats mentioned to date.

My suggestion is to take your missus to the BVIs or somewhere else nice and warm and scenic, and charter a mid 30-40 foot sailboat for a week. Give her a taste of the security, the solidity and comfort of something like that in an impossible-to-not-enjoy environment. Perhaps her point of view might be swayed.

You also stated you're 'bored by the same waters'... hard to understand unless you're powerboating. We've been sailing the same waters for over 30 years, mostly visit the same places every year and we're a long way from bored with it. Galveston and the Gulf may well not offer the kind of cruising we have here, but sailing is always a little different one way or the other, your never stop learning, and boredom really isn't even in the dictionary.
I was gonna "like" this, untill I read the last sentence. Otherwise, it is spot on.

When we first started sailing together, my "Admiral" would be at sea for about 2 or 3 hours, then get bored. I distinctly remember one trip from Boston inner harbor to Scituate, when she announced her state of mind right off of Cohasset. Because I do coastal cruising, as do ~90% of sailnetters, the wind usually changes in some way within a 4 hour window. Sure enough, 20 min later, the wind pipped up from the 8-12kts that we were poking along in to 20-25kts, and the boat increased healing to about 25+ļ, as we ran along at 7-8 knots. I had her put on her PFD vest and take the wheel as I tried to roll in the jib. I was loving this. She was not.

"Still bored" I asked? to which I received a one finger reply.

After we settled in, I let her know that to the uninitiated, sailing can be hours of boredom punctuated by moments of terror. Managing everything (sail trim, angle of apparent wind, navigation, crew, etc.) to the best of your ability in all conditions is the mental / fun part, and what sailing is all about.
Old 02-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
bljones and PBeezer have really analyzed the situation for you.

I'd ask around to see just how many powerboaters in the Galveston area 'pop off' to Belize for vacation... 1000 miles of essentially open ocean is not going to be too many peoples' cup of tea, and that distance is rhumbline. Straight to the Florida keys is closer, 700 or so miles, but still a long shot across the sea. Only a trawler is likely to have that range and now you've lost that speed.

Why Texas? Given your game plan Puget Sound WA or the Eastern Seaboard makes much more sense.. easy, close cruising, plenty of sheltered water for your daysailer, destinations everywhere within reach of a 5 knot boat speed. In the PNW all the way up the inside passage to Alaska, much easier to do by power. It's a much better fit. (Just sayin')

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
I think the OP's wife wants what she wants and it ain't a sailboat.

I agree about taking classes if they have not already. I also think a trailer sailboat kept in the driveway would be of minimal expense (compared to the power boat they're buying) and allows them an almost endless amount of sailing grounds beyond Galveston Bay (never been there).

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.